Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
pckopp
Enthusiast
pckopp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, eReader
Txt to PDB questions

The input format is txt. The desired output is a PDB file that can be used on my wife's HP iPAQ with eReader software.

I can convert files now and they work fine except that there is no author listed in the eReader Book Library listing. I have looked at the various options for PDB Output but there aren't many and none have caused the author meta data to show.

I thought maybe using an intermediate step via PML and then Dropbook(?) might do it, but I don't see a PML choice in output conversion. Is PMLZ the same, similar or compressed?

Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks!

--
Phil
pckopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by pckopp
I can convert files now and they work fine except that there is no author listed in the eReader Book Library listing. I have looked at the various options for PDB Output but there aren't many and none have caused the author meta data to show.
The author set in calibre's library is set as the author of the converted file. Is the author showing properly in the library?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pckopp
Is PMLZ the same, similar or compressed?
PMLZ is the pml and all associated files (image) in a zip archive. Calibre treats each files as a separate book so multi-part types are zipped into one. The same thing happens with plain html.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:52 AM   #3
pckopp
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
The author set in calibre's library is set as the author of the converted file. Is the author showing properly in the library?
Yes, the author is listed in the metadata of the Calibre library of each of the books I converted. Curious.

Thanks and any further suggestions welcome.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:44 AM   #4
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Open a ticket and be sure to attach the input and output files.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Open a ticket and be sure to attach the input and output files.
Warning: Thread diversion
User_none, FYI:

You fixed something in the rtf conversion code for me a while back, so I know you are familiar with it. Are you aware that there are several bugs in the rtf conversion listed in the bug tracker? There are also some threads here on that issue.

Specifically, conversions to rtf lose italics and bold styles. I took a look at rtfml.py and noticed that there is code in there that looks like it is supposed to handle italic and bold style. I also noticed that the code there is very similar to the rb RocketBook conversion code in rbml.py, which does handle the italic and bold style conversion correctly. There's a "for s in STYLES:" loop in both. In the rb code it finds italics, in the rtf it does not. I haven't had time to look at it again, but thought you might be interested.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
pckopp
Enthusiast

More info

Quote:
Using the E-book viewer in Calibre to look at the converted PDB file, click the "i" button to view the metadata, the Author and Title fields are reversed. There is no Publisher, Comments or ISBN data; 'None' is shown.

If I look at the same file converted to MOBI for use on my Kindle all the metadata is present and in the correct fields.

Also, viewing the MOBI file shows the cover but not in the PDB view.

If I use the ereader software (eReader Pro 3.03) and look at Book Info (Ctrl+I) with the converted file, the only field visible is the Title and it is correct. The Author and Publisher fields are blank. Looking at a book I purchased from eReader shows all of those correctly. This mirrors exactly what is shown on my wife's eReader gadget.

Again, the cover shows with the purchased book but not with the converted PDB file.

One other question: In Calibre, Preferences, Conversion, PDB Output there are three choices: doc, ereader, ztxt. Mine is set to doc and I haven't changed it. Will the other choices affect this conversion process to my benefit?

I followed your link for opening a ticket. Looks intimidating and I didn't see anything related to entering a new ticket. Probably I didn't look hard enough and probably "above my pay grade", as we used to say. Maybe there is someone reading this who knows and would take the initiative. If so, thanks!

So much to learn, so many books to read.

Thanks.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:53 PM   #7
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by pckopp View Post
One other question: In Calibre, Preferences, Conversion, PDB Output there are three choices: doc, ereader, ztxt. Mine is set to doc and I haven't changed it. Will the other choices affect this conversion process to my benefit?
This is the problem. PDB is a container format. Think of it like a ZIP file. You can put different things in it. You need to set the format to ereader. Doc is doesn't support author metadata which is why you aren't seeing any.

@Starson17, Seen it. I know about the issue. I can't say when I will be able to look at it.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:51 PM   #8
pckopp
Enthusiast

Quote:
This is the problem. PDB is a container format. Think of it like a ZIP file. You can put different things in it. You need to set the format to ereader. Doc is doesn't support author metadata which is why you aren't seeing any.
Perfect! Thank you.