Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-10-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Sub-categories for 'mystery'?

One of my March Break projects this year is getting everything I have in Calibre tagged, sorted and organized with summaries and cover art. I want to make it easy to find things myself, and if I am recommending books to others (my sister reads ebooks too). One of the things I am struggling with as my collection grows is having so many books in each category (I have over 800 ebooks when you count in the free ones). Mystery seems to be an especially full category. I am sorting out the 'paranormal' ones into their own little sub-category, but I need a better way to organize the mysteries so that if I am in the mood for something like Sherlock Holmes, I can browse a different sent of books than if I am in the mood for Janet Evanovich. Ideas for sub-categories I can add to my mystery collection to make browsing easier?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
Zipr
Zealot
Zipr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
I have a lot of mysteries that are serial. So, I use the series feature in Calibre.
Travis McGee
Harry Bosch
Kate Brannigan
etc, etc.
Zipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Cozy Mystery: Amateur sleuth, generally series...
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
These are categories used by Felony & Mayhem publishers to categorize their titles. You could run author subcategories under each heading, or time periods.

The Felonious Book Categories
Traditional
Foreign
Espionage
British
Historical
Hard-Boiled
Vintage

poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:36 PM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Cosy/Cozy
hard-boiled
police procedural
Scandinavian
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"Crime" and "Mystery" are two overlapping, but distinct, categories. Not all mysteries involve crimes, and not all crimes involve mysteries. The categories that have been proposed above all seem to be categories of crime, rather than mystery.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:35 PM   #7
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!
TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Female sleuth is often a separate category.
TC Beacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Thanks
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:11 PM   #9
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I read what I thought was an interesting comment about the police procedural genre: Movies and their styles are based upon books. But in the case of the police procedural, the movie (and television show) came first.

The first police procedural was the movie The Naked City, followed promptly by the TV show Dragnet. Then came the books.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:09 PM   #10
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I read what I thought was an interesting comment about the police procedural genre: Movies and their styles are based upon books. But in the case of the police procedural, the movie (and television show) came first.

The first police procedural was the movie The Naked City, followed promptly by the TV show Dragnet. Then came the books.
Debatable, I think.
For example the Frank Froest books (died 1930) that I uploaded recently were written by a retired detective, are police procedurals, but predate television.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:24 PM   #11
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Patricia, you seem to have the evidence! Maybe the author of the article I read had (like me) never heard of Frank Froest.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:46 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Many of the "Dr. Thorndyke" books by R. Austin Freeman are also the very epitome of the "police procedural", too. Eg, the very first one, "The Red Thumb Mark", is a classic of the genre.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote