Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-19-2011, 10:16 PM   #46
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
I have Pandora 1.4 on my PE (running Ermine,) and it works great.
By the way, Dropbox is another convenient way to transfer apps.
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:28 PM   #47
wmocny
wmocny began at the beginning.

Device: PocketEdge
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter View Post
Google talk and Voice Search work if installed with Ermine 1.xxx

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=141833

My guess is some components are missing.
What's missing and what's wrong with Pandora - get logcat.
Search this forum for my posts with "logcat" where I explained how to get the log and post it here.
The update to Ermine 1.xx did the trick. I noticed I had only Ermine 0.9. So now voice and pandora work like a charm but still having difficulty with talk force closing which doesnt make much sense to me. I'll run logcat as soon as i finish installation and post it here
wmocny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2011, 11:45 PM   #48
wmocny

Ok attached is my logcat. I have no idea how to interpret it hoping you guys could help me out. thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: txt logcat.txt (117.5 KB, 1222 views)
Old 09-20-2011, 02:39 AM   #49
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmocny View Post
Ok attached is my logcat. I have no idea how to interpret it hoping you guys could help me out. thanks.
I spoke too soon: Google Talk is not going to work - and too many problems to enumerate.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:37 PM   #50
wmocny

Well that's trouble. If I did a factory reset and redid the ermine update could that work?
Advert
Old 09-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #51
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Well that's trouble. If I did a factory reset and redid the ermine update could that work?
No.
Depending on why you need it you might find some alternative: Skype(beta), Fring,...
There are couple of threads here dedicated to VOIP.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:54 AM   #52
jclmaster
jclmaster began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred4231 View Post
I recived a Pocket eDge on Saturday. I have it running on 2.2. I want to load some apps on it but don't know what to do once I have the APK files on my PC. How and where do I download the files? How do I initiate them? Alse, how can I save an internet search and initiate with an icon? I know these are basic questions and I apologize for being ignorant in the ways of Android. Wish there was a primer on the basic of PE.

Fred
Another suggestion is to use dropbox. I use it to store files i want to share with other devices.
jclmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #53
jamina1
Connoisseur
jamina1 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe
Quote:
The update to Ermine 1.xx did the trick. I noticed I had only Ermine 0.9. So now voice and pandora work like a charm but still having difficulty with talk force closing which doesnt make much sense to me. I'll run logcat as soon as i finish installation and post it here
How did you get Google Voice to work without a phone number? When I tried to set it up it hung on the voicemail step.
jamina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #54
jamina1
Connoisseur

SUCCESS

I had the market, but it was not working.

Here is the build prop modification I made
I modified the following 2 lines
Code:
# Do not try to parse ro.build.description or .fingerprint
ro.build.description=SPH-P100-user 2.2 FROYO DJ14 release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=sprint/SPH-P100/SPH-P100/SPH-P100:2.2/FROYO/DJ14:user/release-keys
As well as this line:
Code:
ro.product.model=SPH-P100
Clear Market Cache & Force Stop
Clear Google Services Framework DATA & Force Close

Reboot and viola! It's downloading stuff, but some apps are missing! So I'm going to try a couple different build.prop modifications and report back.

EDIT
I managed to get all apps to appear using the passion/mahimahi build.fingerprint in emusan's post, but it's showing that this is my other phone for some reason (shows all my apps installed). Weird!

Last edited by jamina1; 09-24-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:06 AM   #55
JDoo
JDoo began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjiboi View Post
Best solution I've found so far is to use my Android phone (Moto Droid) to download whatever I want, then use ASTRO file manager to back up the apk's and transfer them from sdcard/backup onto my pocket Edge.

Some apps still don't work properly/at all, generally those requiring the "universal" Google account integration such as GMail, Calendar, Market, and YouTube (for anything requiring authentication: favorites, 18+ content, etc).
This bears repeating... and thanks for the suggestion. I have a Xoom tablet, with a ton of apps, both paid and free. I wanted to get some of them on my pe, but hadn't been able to get the Android Market to work so...

0) - Off the bat -- I am using an iMac for connecting / backing up. The Android File Transfer utility is a FAIL on Lion. I wanted a simple mechanism for syncing, and moving files around... so - - On to ermine.
1) - Loaded ermine. There are excellent how-to's on this site. Many thanks to the folks who have been great enough to figure out the magic, and document it for the rest of us!
2) - Installed Dropbox. Needed a way to get stuff onto the pe
3) - Started looking around on my Xoom for apps. Thank you Android... you let developers drop their APKs all over the place. Thankfully, I had an existing copy of Astro file manager. The post from benjiboi helped connect the dots for me. I launched Astro and moved the APK files that I wanted to get over to my ee into a 'Backup' folder.
4) - Using the Android File Transfer utility (which works for me, now that I am on ermine) - I moved the APK files onto my Mac, in a place where I can catalogue and keep things backed up. I wish I had been doing that all along with the Xoom- - it would have made this process simpler. Suggestion to anyone wondering about this... -- just do it. Apps that you like, you should be backing off to a harddrive (in addition to whatever backup mechanism you are using for your pe)... in case you get a different Android device.
5) - Dropbox time. Pushed the files over from my Mac to the ee via dropbox
6) - Opened Dropbox on the pe... and started installing stuff... Some titles didn't work.. most did. Am keeping a list of the stuff that is working -- will post to whatever master threads there are for such things... All in all -- this probably reads like a complicated process, but it is pretty simple now.

Cheers -

Last edited by JDoo; 09-27-2011 at 10:16 PM.
JDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #56
FluxAugur
FluxAugur began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamina1 View Post
How did you get Google Voice to work without a phone number? When I tried to set it up it hung on the voicemail step.
I'm having the same problem.
FluxAugur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:54 AM   #57
jamina1
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluxAugur View Post
I'm having the same problem.
I don't know if it has to do with me removing the Phone and Telephony apk's but once I had done that it didn't ask for the voicemail set up. It simply stated "You can now view your text messages on this device" and is set up and works just fine. I can send and receive texts using the GV app.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #58
ambelli
ambelli began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
I received my PE yesterday. I downloaded from freewarelovers.com/android/app/youtube the 1.3 version, installed it. But when I try to play a video I get the message" sorry, this video cannot be played"
any ideas?
ambelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:39 PM   #59
Edward_R
Zealot
Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Pacific Northwest (about 35 miles northeast of Seattle)
Device: K3 / HP 10" Tablet (FBreader Installed)
Try version 2.2.16 it works on mine.
Edward_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #60
ambelli
ambelli began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Youtube

When I try to install 2.2.16 I get the message "com.google.android.youtube could not be installed on your eDGe"
ambelli is offline   Reply With Quote