Notices

Old 01-25-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
snaver
snaver began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Question PRS-600 Font size help

I am new to this forum.

I have Sony PRS eReader.
I have subscribed to a digital newspaper, in ePub format.
I can open the document, but am unable to increase the font size.
Any suggestions?

Cheers,
J
snaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Hi Snaver, Welcome to the Forum.

I don't know how much you know about EPUB and CSS but I think you need to have a look at the CSS file zipped up inside the EPUB.

If you don't know how to look inside an EPUB come back and I'll try to be more specific.

If you do then, look for entries in the CSS file that specify "font-size"
e.g. font-size: 12pt;
or font-size: small;
or font-size: 1.5em;
or font-size: 120%;

I'm no expert but I think if font-size is specified "absolutely" (e.g. in point or pixels) then the zoom button on the PRS-600 has no effect (I have a Sony PRS-505 not a 600 but it's probably the same).

However, if font-size is specified "relatively" (e.g. 120% or 1.2em) then the zoom button will work as you expect.

Once you know how your EPUB is currently set up you can formulate a plan on how to tweak it to your liking.

If the EPUB is not too large I'd be happy to look at it if you want to attach it.

P.S Do you use Calibre? If so this may be another way to change the font-size.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
swt
swt began at the beginning.

Device: none
i don't have the 600, but i do have 505. I find that it even if font size is specified as point size, you still can change it on device to the 3 sizes (s, m & l). The font size in epub is used as the 's'. So the absolute size can be scaled on device.

if epub has the pages encoded as images rather than html, then i guess your out of luck in changing the font sizes unless the 600 can do image zooming.
swt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Thank you, swt, I stand corrected. I've definitely had a couple of EPUBs which wouldn't zoom - which I fixed with Calibre without examining too closely. Next time I get one I'll be sure to get to the bottom of it.

If snaver's problem is to do with pages being images I wonder if using Calibre to convert EPUB to LRF might work. It's a while since I used an LRF but I seem to remember that LRF images respond to the zoom button as long as they don't already fill the page.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote