Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-10-2008, 03:03 PM   #1
brentrjones
brentrjones began at the beginning.

Device: iPaq
Cool reading on an iPaq in Oak Park, IL

Glad to meet all who read here.

I have an old iPaq 3536 and use it to read books among other things.

My device is good for reading:

1. Right Size
2. Backlit
3. .lit, .pdf, .doc even .txt formats work fine

Improvements would be:
1. automatic scrolling
2. more fonts and more font sizes
3. better resolution
4. more storage space

I would not buy a dedicated reader. Because
1. I want my email and contacts with me
2. I want to be able to run applications
3. I want to type on it (using portable keyboard)
4. I want color
5. I want to play music and video
6. I am thrifty and poor

Brent Jones
high school chemistry teacher in Chicago but
live in Oak Park, IL (home of Frank Lloyd Wright
and Edgar Rice Burroughs and Ernest Hemingway)
expert computer user and trainer of business users
57 years old and
happily married for 30 years with
3 grown daughters
went to Univ of Illinois Urbana -- go Illini! They beat OSU too.
evangelical Christian but
liberal democrat not REPUBLICAN -- go Obama!
former missionary to Pakistan
overweight and balding
good sense of humor
long-winded big mouth but very kind and nice
brentrjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:57 PM   #2
BooksForABuck
Zealot
BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Color Nook, Kindle 2, Palm III, eBookWise, HP Jornada
iPaq

The iPaq does have a relatively large display for its size but it is a relatively small device. I like mine as well because it slips into a pocket. My eBookWise works better when I know I'll be reading (iPaq in my pocket, eBookWise in my backpack).

Color doesn't matter much to me one way or the other. One problem with the iPaq, though, is that it doesn't offer especially good outdoor daylight viewing. In contrast, for whatever reason, the eBookWise does seem to. (So does my ancient Palm IIIxe which is a great little machine that you can often pick up for almost nothing).

I'm not married to particular devices but Compaq made a really nice PDA. I wish that the PDA market hadn't crashed.

Rob Preece
Publisher, www.BooksForABuck.com
BooksForABuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2008, 08:30 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I've read on an iPaq for years but really do like the dedicated reader (Sony PRS -505, in my case). really like the long battery life and the e-ink display.

Anyway, welcome to the Forum
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote