Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 12-23-2011, 04:39 AM   #91
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
it can be only one thing if no log file. you did not extracted the file from the zip and did not read the instructions from inside the zip.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #92
Panhandler
Panhandler began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
To stevesr0

Early on I made the mistake of not extracting the rc file that I had downloaded. The rc file is zipped and actually contains two files, an rc and a text file describing what to do. Make sure you extract the zip file you downloaded and rename the rc file from the extracted folder.
Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2011, 10:42 AM   #93
stevesr0
Connoisseur
stevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Well Thanks,vicinc and Panhandler.

I did it several times the wrong way. A-duh.

For informational purposes, on my PE, the "updating software" phase took about 5 minutes and then the reboot process started.

The first time <g>, I missed the needed reboot obtained by using the rotate button after pushing "finish setup" and think that led to a problem with setup of the market.

Also, after completing the google setup, both times I was brought back to the nexus setup screen.

I think that I opted to reflash after the first install because of this. I couldn't seem to back out of it. The same thing happened the second time, but I thought to use the home button and this brought me to the home screen.

From this point, I was able to get into the market and download an app. (I didn't take the advice to download as many things as I could, because I am not sure what I want to add. I successfully downloaded/installed dropbox and slacker radio.) I will check the threads for recommended apps to download now.

Wow. A huge debt of thanks to the many people who brought this mod into being (obviously, pablob, ktwombley, but also vicinc, nikki, emusan, kennyminot, ptsenter, JTRanger, and the other significant contributors over the past 6+ months).

It will be obviously reassuring to hear from many people that their system uneventfully updates - proving that this is truly "golden" and important to hear from those with major or minor glitches (like the red vs black serial number differences- since mine is red, it would likely not have updated with rc2).

Thanks to all and happy holidays (of your choice, date and place <g>.

Steve (from U.S.)
stevesr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #94
stevesr0
Connoisseur
stevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheese

Another observation. The library contents I saved to the sd card prior to Golden Allmine update are not visible when I launch the Library app from the menu. When I use the utility to search for library content on the sd card, it finds it but when I try to restore the .esi file to the Library, it gives an error message that the file is from another device and doesn't restore it.

Has this been noted by others?

Steve
Old 12-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #95
stevesr0
Connoisseur

Since this seems to be a reasonably reliable and worthwhile update, should we start a thread on using the Golden Allmine PE?

This might cover how it differs from Dingo and Erminized in management of apps as well as usage of google apps.

Also questions like the blutooth Pandora interaction on this "build".

In short, anything that people might want to do on this version of the PE that they couldn't do on the prior ones and/or that might act differently.

Steve
Advert
Old 12-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #96
Gerrye
Zealot
Gerrye began at the beginning.

Device: 1 EE,3 PEs,HP Pro Slate12.2,&Kindle Paperwhite,GalaxyTabPro12.2,Note 4
I just installed it via the USB port, and everything works according to the instruction sheet.

/PEONLYGoldenAllmineErmineRC3/PE-GA-README.html

Connected to the Android Market without a problem other than the Nexus One limitations smooth sailing..

Thanks and Happy Holidays to all...
Gerrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #97
pablob
Connoisseur
pablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheese

Device: OnyxBook M96, enTourage Pocket eDGe (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesr0 View Post
Another observation. The library contents I saved to the sd card prior to Golden Allmine update are not visible when I launch the Library app from the menu. When I use the utility to search for library content on the sd card, it finds it but when I try to restore the .esi file to the Library, it gives an error message that the file is from another device and doesn't restore it.

Has this been noted by others?

Steve
Nobody reported it yet, but it makes sense. In order for the Market to work the device serial number needs to be changed, and the library has the device serial number embedded in it. That means that if you backed it up before enabling the Market, the backup will have a different serial number and will look like it is from a different device.

I don't think there is an elegant way to solve this, but I can think of a few workarounds so you won't loose the books in your backup:

* The cleanest, but requiring root and some knowledge:

1) Change the serial number in /system/serial_number to your old one (write down the modified one).
2) Reboot (Google apps and the Market won't work, but this is temporary!)
3) Restore the backup (it should work, since now the serial numbers should match)
4) Change the serial number in /system/serial_number back to the modified one and reboot.
5) Use the commands in the Allmine thread to fix the library (updating the serial number in the library).

* The easiest, but taking much longer and at least two reflashes:

1) Reflash back to Dingo. (You might need to go all the way to Ermine, but I don't think so)
2) Move the library to the SD card.
3) Restore your backup (I think that should work). This could possibly be swapped with step 2, but I think this way it would be faster.
4) Use the Golden Allmine rc3 to reflash your PE, it should keep your library.

Once you have your library working again, make a new backup.

If the library backup is not encrypted (unlikely, I guess, but possible), you might be able to get your books directly from it and re-add them.

Since I haven't backed up my library yet, these are untested...

By the way, it is not a bad idea to start a new thread.

Happy holidays!
pablob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:50 PM   #98
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

or ask nicely javese to write an import library app!
Old 12-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #99
stevesr0
Connoisseur

Thanks pablob,

That raises the question of the difference between moving the library to the ext card before update and backing it up to the external ad card which is what I did.

I will probably try your first method (if I don't just re copy the library from my computer).

BTW, I tutor a Spanish-speaking person in English as second language, so I am aware of some apparent relationship between v and b. If I switched your b's to v's, you would have a very famous username.

Thanks again.

Steve
Old 12-23-2011, 07:40 PM   #100
stevesr0
Connoisseur

Btw 2.

I just realised that I get an error when I try to login to mobile read from my PE.

Anybody else find this?

Steve
Old 12-23-2011, 08:09 PM   #101
pablob
Connoisseur
pablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheese

Device: OnyxBook M96, enTourage Pocket eDGe (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesr0 View Post
Thanks pablob,

That raises the question of the difference between moving the library to the ext card before update and backing it up to the external ad card which is what I did.
When you do the upgrade and there is a library in the SD card, the update script fixes the serial numer in the library for you, so it works. If you backed it up before upgrading, it still has the old serial number (unless you had the regular allmine working before the golden allmine).

Regarding my username, I know. It's just a coincidence, though! (and I'm not trying to train any PE users )

I've never tried logging in to MobileRead from the PE... Have you tried other browsers?
pablob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:00 PM   #102
vicinc
Guru

dolphin hd works fine
Old 12-24-2011, 03:50 PM   #103
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Just want to add my kudos and much felt thanks. After screwing around w/my eDGes for a couple of months I had just last week decided to live w/out Market and gone back to Ermine w/Link2SD. A few days later my PE began malfunctioning (again) and I was sure after so many re-installations, tweeks, app freezes, uninstalled system apps, etc., it was permanently messed up...couldn't even get Dingo to install.

Thurs. night I noticed pablob's rc3 release. Via USB... Voila!! w/out a hitch, installed Link2SD (thanks kennyminot). The only problem: my few live wallpapers either won't load or load poorly. That may be something I screwed up along the way because it's been so long since they worked right that I can't remember exactly what "right" is.

I haven't been able to get Aldiko to install either directly from Market or sideloaded. I remember seeing something about this but don't remember where. Right now I'm satisfied w/CoolReader and FBreader and eReader. I also like the Kindle App, but don't really need it.

I want to try javese's lcd2eink but hesitate for fear of messing w/(near) perfection. I tried it before on another installation and really didn't see what the good of it was. Just seems I have to try everything...stupid but there's always a mountain.

I know Filark reads every post, so I will thank her here for pushing me (gently) to get a pocket eDGe. It is my favorite device of all, past and present. I intend to get another...just in case.

Again, thanks to all, pablob, vicinc, obsessed2, come immediately to mind. A full listing would be too long and incomplete as even the non-pros have helped me a lot. MobileRead has the best forums and this one is one of the best.
d
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:36 PM   #104
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
I know Filark reads every post, so I will thank her here for pushing me (gently) to get a pocket eDGe. It is my favorite device of all, past and present. I intend to get another...just in case.
I do! You caught me!

Good to see you again, CharlieBird! I'll join you in thanking everyone on this forum -- the people who share their work to improve our eDGes, the people who patiently answer questions, and the people who ask them!

Happy Holidays, everybody, whatever and wherever you celebrate!

Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 05:50 AM   #105
stevesr0
Connoisseur

Followup on Library.

The serial number change thing is confusing me.

On the spine, the S/N is RF30042100A3E (I have a red PE).

In my /system/serial_number file, the number is FF300421020A3E.

THIS seems wrong - the added character is a "2" not a "0".

I looked at the "original" Allmine thread and it seemed to recommend insertion of a "0" after the eighth character (where a "2" has been inserted by the Golden Allmine update).

From the Allmine thread,

Code:
$ su
# mount -o rw,remount ubi:system /system
do_mount: do_mount: dev ubi:system dir /system type none flags 0x8020 loop 0
do_mount: calling mount: dev ubi:system dir /system s none rwflag 0x8020
# cat /system/serial_number
# echo BF301441023456 > /system/serial_number
# cat /system/serial_number
BF301441023456
# sync
# mount -o ro,remount ubi:system /system
do_mount: do_mount: dev ubi:system dir /system type none flags 0x8021 loop 0
do_mount: calling mount: dev ubi:system dir /system s none rwflag 0x8021

-----------
And now restart your PE.

What we just did there was:
1. ask for root rights
2. remount your system partition so you can write to it (normally you can't for safety)
5. checked the contents of the serial number file
4. wrote your new serial number into the file
5. checked to make sure it worked
6. Make really sure that the changes are saved
7. remounted your system partition read-only

================================================== =====

Since I have been able to access the market and download (free) apps without a problem, I don't want to mess this up.

In addition, using my Library on the eInk side is not critical to me immediately, but I do want to regain/replace my library contents. I understand that until the serial number issue is resolved, the Library will not accept material.

Appreciate comments, recommendations, other people's experiences...

Thanks and happy holidays to all.

Steve