Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-31-2007, 04:29 PM   #1
heb
Enthusiast
heb began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Question PDF Conversion - Removing Header / Footer Text

I am trying to convert a PDF file which has the title and page number information in the header and footer. These are being converted when I use pdftohtml and although I can crop the PDF in pdftohtml the text is to small.

Is there any way to find and replace a chunk of text several lines long? In Word as the header contains the books Title it goes and removes those words from within the text as well. For the footer I suppose it would have to support wildcards for the page numbers.

Its driving me nuts and I reckon there must be a nice simple solution!

Thanks,

Richard.
heb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:35 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use pdftohtml in text mode so it generates a text based HTML file and then use a regular expression to remove the offending text.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2007, 05:17 PM   #3
heb
Enthusiast

What do you use to actually manipulate the text though?

Sorry but my experience has been limited to things I can edit in a text editor.

Last edited by heb; 10-31-2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:39 PM   #4
heb
Enthusiast

OK found a free program called ReplaceEM that let me select and replace a range based on the start and end of the text. I also supports regular expressions.

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-05-2007, 01:51 PM   #5
coleman
Connoisseur
coleman began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablets and phones, Windows tablet, Kobo Aura One
I've been using MS Word when I can to cleanup, and then exporting to HTML or RTF and converting from there.

Word has a simple search and replace syntax(although you can do regex if you like) so you can say something like "[File:*2007]" and replace it with nothing, which is a lot easier then regex IMO. That said, if you were doing something more complex RegEx would definately be the way to go, it just takes me 20 minutes to get a regex for something simple even right.
coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2007, 06:49 AM   #6
dstampe
dstampe
dstampe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
If you happen to have a full version of Adobe, you can crop the top and bottom of the pages in the document before conversion.
dstampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:11 PM   #7
Bookathon
Bookaholic
Bookathon doesn't litterBookathon doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1, 3, Ipad
Adobe pdf printer which is apart of adobe full version takes it header and footer info from IE 7 so if you open and setup page in ie 7 and delete header info from set up page than pdf printer will not print headers and footers, may be other pdf printers may also do the same, I have not tried those yet
Bookathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #8
jefferson_frantz
jefferson_frantz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 and Sony Reader PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by heb View Post
I am trying to convert a PDF file which has the title and page number information in the header and footer. These are being converted when I use pdftohtml and although I can crop the PDF in pdftohtml the text is to small.

Is there any way to find and replace a chunk of text several lines long? In Word as the header contains the books Title it goes and removes those words from within the text as well. For the footer I suppose it would have to support wildcards for the page numbers.

Its driving me nuts and I reckon there must be a nice simple solution!

Thanks,

Richard.
It's easy to do.
Use Nitro PDF (www.nitropdf.com/)
Use the crop option under the edit menu.
Just select the part you want to preserve ... leave outside the header an footers and then double click on the selection. Then, select to apply on all pages and thats all.
Now there is a new pdf, but no header and footer

PS: Sorry about my english :P
jefferson_frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
preciousferret
preciousferret began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I have the newest version of Calibre and they told me to click remove header and footer; however, I needed to write a regular expression to match them. Does anyone know what to write?
preciousferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:02 PM   #10
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
The place to ask this is in the Calibre forum, not necroposting in a years-old thread (one which, by the way, predates Caliber) in a device forum for some unrelated device.

If nobody is answering your question, the odds are that it's because you haven't explained the question enough for them to realize it's something they can answer, not because you haven't posted in enough random forums. Take a look at your other posts and see what you could do to make it easier for someone to understand what you need.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote