Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-10-2010, 01:15 PM   #31
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I was not thinking about money at all when I started self-publishing books. I put out one novel (Princess of Amathar) for $1.59, and then released the next three books for free. I sometimes wish I had charged for His Robot Girlfriend, because if only a tiny fraction of those who have downloaded it had paid, I'd be sitting on more money than I've made from all my other books. It just recently passed the 80,000 download mark. (Actually a tiny fraction has paid. I've had several unsolicited donations from readers.)

On the plus side, although I'm still measuring my writing income in the hundreds rather than thousands of dollars, I am happy that it has increased each quarter. I actually get a little giddy when a single ebook is sold. So as long as both these things continue, I'll be a happy writer.

I look at Brian S. Pratt, profiled on the Smashwords Blog, and see his great success, and the first thing I notice is that he has a lot of books. I'm really kicking myself for not gettting as much writing done as I should. Maybe after school lets out next week...
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:44 PM   #32
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I've made a few bucks on Risen, enough to make it worthwhile to post and sell at $2.99. I give away the short stories that tie in with the novel.

This was a previously-published book, however, which lowers the bar.

I'm working on a second novel but I don't have any interest in publishing as I did with Risen, where it takes years to get a six-month spot on the shelves and then the book is dead for another seven years. I'll go straight to ebook, but I might want to find a small publisher for credibility, even if it means making less per book. I haven't decided yet.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2010, 07:52 AM   #33
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
I've made a few bucks on Risen, enough to make it worthwhile to post and sell at $2.99. I give away the short stories that tie in with the novel.

This was a previously-published book, however, which lowers the bar.

I'm working on a second novel but I don't have any interest in publishing as I did with Risen, where it takes years to get a six-month spot on the shelves and then the book is dead for another seven years. I'll go straight to ebook, but I might want to find a small publisher for credibility, even if it means making less per book. I haven't decided yet.
Wasn't Risen going to be done through Ghostwriter Publications at one point?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:18 PM   #34
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Wasn't Risen going to be done through Ghostwriter Publications at one point?
Yes, but I got cold feet at the last minute.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:19 PM   #35
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
You should put a link to your books in your sig, not just the covers. I tried to click on them to see what they were about and if I wanted to buy them, and discovered they were just pictures, no links.

-Marcy
I've done the same thing before on her sig and not gotten anywhere I do check out many books that look interesting in people's sigs-- if they include the links there.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2010, 06:07 PM   #36
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmay View Post
I think this is a really good strategy for authors with multiple books. Amanda Hocking has done this -- and look at her go!
I bought two of hers because they were both 99 cents -- and of course because I liked the sample. Her books always seem to be on the lists of what's hot and what's selling, such as B&N's Flying Off the Shelves link. Like me, other people decided they didn't mind risking 99 cents on an unknown author. Why spend $7.99 or more on a paranormal from a big name publisher if the indie author's book is cheaper and getting better reviews?

On the other hand, last week, a PubIt author introduced himself (assuming he was a guy here) on the Nook board, and the first book in his series was $9.99. His plans were to sell the first one for nearly ten dollars, then reduce the prices for later volumes until the last one was 99 cents. He was certainly earnest, but I can't see that working unless the first book gets incredible reviews from respected blogs, posters, etc.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote