Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #14176
Kindoll
Enthusiast
Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've almost finished Little Star. I cannot put it down and was hooked from the start.
Kindoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #14177
Kindoll
Enthusiast
Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Just finished "The Book With No Name" by Anonymous (a strange anochronistic little number which I have just found has two sequels that I'm tempted to try), and started "A Wanted Man" by Lee Child.
I read this ages ago and I remember finding it a fun, interesting read with lots of characters who intertwined well.
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #14178
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindoll View Post
I read this ages ago and I remember finding it a fun, interesting read with lots of characters who intertwined well.
My main issue was the lack of sympathetic characters, and no indication of a central character who's travails the reader could champion. I'd latch onto one particular person, thinking Aha!, and then they'd either be killed or do something horrendous .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #14179
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Opposing Force 1 by Anthony DeCosmo-

"It has been twenty years since the Briggs experiment went wrong; twenty years since the containment doors on sub-level five of the subterranean laboratories of the Red Rock Mountain Research Facility slammed shut.

Enter Major Thom Gant and Task Force Archangel, a Special Forces unit trained and equipped to fight unconventional enemies. Yet even their experience with capturing downed extraterrestrials cannot prepare them for the horrors beyond that vault door.

Now Gant’s team must travel into the depths of the quarantined facility and attempt to counteract the experiment, a mission undertaken by dozens of soldiers over the years since the accident; dozens of soldiers who were never heard from again.

To survive, Gant must uncover the truth of the Briggs experiment, overcome the mind-bending extra-sensory forces emanating from the quarantined zone, and solve the riddle of The God Particle."
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #14180
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Another Agatha Christie: Death Comes as the End.

This one is an oddity - set in ancient Egypt, ca. 2000BCE.
Despite the unusual settings, a good mystery, and I enjoyed the book.

Next: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J. K. Rowling.
Second in a re-read of the series now I have them in ebook form. Good so far, better than I remembered — perhaps my memory is influenced a bit too much by the film.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #14181
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Potter

Quote:

Second in a re-read of the series now I have them in ebook form. Good so far, better than I remembered — perhaps my memory is influenced a bit too much by the film.
I agree, I recently completed a third reading of the series and concluded the same thing, that the movies do influence my memories of the novels.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #14182
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I'm re-reading "The Chamber of Secrets" as well, and I am watching the movie series with my niece, I haven't seen all of the films yet. I'm really enjoying this re-reading. I'm at home on bed rest and haven't yet felt up to working on my thesis, so I can't imagine that it will take me a long time to re-read the series. I am looking forward to picking up some of the other recommendations on this list after I am done.

I am also reading German: biography of a language. I found a few questionable statements in the first chapter or two, but overall it is an interesting read.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:49 AM   #14183
CTurner
Enthusiast
CTurner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTurner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTurner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTurner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTurner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTurner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTurner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTurner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTurner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTurner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTurner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for PC
I'm reading 'Azincourt' by Bernard Cornwell (historical fiction, chronicling the epic battle of 1415 of England versus France). True to 'Cornwell' fashion, he delivers a satisfying gritty tale, well-researched, and rich with compelling characters. His warlord trilogy (Arthur and knights of round table, Book I, Winter King) is unparalleled, and comes highly recommended.
CTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:53 AM   #14184
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I just finished reading "The Violets of March" by Sarah Jio. Why I even forced myself to finish it is beyond me. Oh, I know why. I paid the full b--dy over-inflated e-book price for it over a year ago (the receipt said 12.95 what what I thinking???? and the current amazon price is over 16 bucks!) as it sat in my Kobo account all this time and I was looking through it and thought, "Oh, I haven't yet read this one!" (because i couldn't get into it).

The writing was boring boring boring. Major characters drop hints continually about a "big family secret", and then when asked for more details, "I am NOT here to talk about it." Her sleuthing gets instant results when 60 year olds had been searching for over 3 decades with no results? I wanted to love it.

I am now currently reading one of my DANL buys which was a free download last month, "Cowboy Crazy", and it's making up for my disappointment of the aforementioned "book".
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:21 AM   #14185
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:

I enjoyed that.

Next up: These Old Shades by Georgette Heyer. Her 6th novel. I haven't got her 4th and 5th books yet.

Last edited by pdurrant; 09-13-2012 at 07:45 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:35 AM   #14186
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTurner View Post
I'm reading 'Azincourt' by Bernard Cornwell (historical fiction, chronicling the epic battle of 1415 of England versus France). True to 'Cornwell' fashion, he delivers a satisfying gritty tale, well-researched, and rich with compelling characters. His warlord trilogy (Arthur and knights of round table, Book I, Winter King) is unparalleled, and comes highly recommended.
I have read this one twice, so far and also highly recomend it.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #14187
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I haven't read any of Bernard Cornwell's books. Given my liking for historical fiction, I really must add him to my "TBR" list!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #14188
Sarah-Bookworm
Distinctive Book Diva!
Sarah-Bookworm began at the beginning.

I have just finished reading, Bombay Mixx (Women's Fiction novel) and would highly recommend it.

It's cheap ($1.61 but is available to borrow for Amazon Prime customers), hilarious characters but I loved the twist at the end and can't wait for the sequel.
Sarah-Bookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #14189
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I haven't read any of Bernard Cornwell's books. Given my liking for historical fiction, I really must add him to my "TBR" list!
They're well done, and good reads. And there's a LOT of them.

Also, should your interests run that way, there are good audiobook versions of at least the Sharpe books.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #14190
Kindoll
Enthusiast

I finished Little Star. I thought it was a good read, gory in parts but left a lot of unanswered questions.

I'm now reading A Winter Haunting by Dan Simmons.