Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 03-06-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
fibrou
fibrou began at the beginning.

Device: entourage edge
Android Apps on the eDGe?

According to enTourage, we should be able to download and install Android Apps from various developers. I have been able to download a couple, but when I go to run them, they always indicate that something is "missing," e.g. source file missing, or application missing, or something like that. What am I doing wrong when installing android apps from non-Market sources and trying to run them on the eDGe? I am new to Android OS, so I am sure there is something simple I am missing. Any direction is greatly appreciated.
fibrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:10 PM   #2
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
I found this article helpful http://blog.laptopmag.com/how-to-find-android-apps

I'm loving dolphin browser and swift twit!
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:37 AM   #3
fibrou
fibrou began at the beginning.

Device: entourage edge
Thanks for the link. Very helpful.
fibrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:02 PM   #4
mgm1979
Zealot
mgm1979 is on a distinguished road

Device: Entourage eDGe
I've gotten all of my apps from AndAppStore.com - not a HUGE selection, but enough to keep ya busy for a while. My next step is to try installing apps directly from my fiance's Eris, which connects to the Android Marketplace...I'll post back with my results as soon as I do that.
mgm1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:41 PM   #5
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

I was able to download a "market app" from both AndAppStore and SlideME for ease of browsing/installing apps from the respective sites. They have both worked fine in terms of downloading/installing apps.

I've only tried a few free apps so far (again, cannot recommend Dolphin Browser highly enough!! and if you tweet, Swift Twit) but some of them don't resize to fill the eDGe's screen. As the device becomes more popular, hopefully app creators will either think about resizing or at least mention whether their app scales to the eDGe's screen.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:48 PM   #6
lsoverdrive
lsoverdrive has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Entourage eDGe
has anyone found a good organiser/calendar application? ultimately i'd love to see something like the courier, but at the moment something that would sync with google calendar and have offline use would be great.
lsoverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:39 AM   #7
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post
I found this article helpful http://blog.laptopmag.com/how-to-find-android-apps

I'm loving dolphin browser and swift twit!
Hm, I tried dolphin on my Droid phone and didn't like it much. What are you finding good about it?
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:15 AM   #8
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
Hm, I tried dolphin on my Droid phone and didn't like it much. What are you finding good about it?
Maybe it has to do with the screen size of the eDGe being larger, but what I like so far:

1. Tabbed browsing. (I can see why maybe a phone would be too small to take advantage of this.) This is a huge deal for me.
2. Great scrolling. Scrolls well, plus has a convenient zoom option (make sure it's checked as a preference) and a funky magnified rectangle zoom.
3. Gestures are convenient, once I found out how they worked. I did spend the first little while thinking, "How is there no back button on this browser?" But, you do have to press in a corner, then perform your gesture, and I've found that the larger the gesture the better. So again, maybe on a smaller screen like a phone, it's more difficult to gesture recognizably.
4. Integration with google. The "Home" page is a big list of choices (with subchoices) including one for Google Services (mail, reader, picasa, search etc.). I find that really convenient since those are a lot of pages I visit, since of course typing on a virtual keyboard is less than convenient. But, if I were on a larger screen and had to scroll (I can see most of the choices without any scroll on the eDGe), I might find that more annoying.

It just really feels like a full browser.

What didn't you like about it? Could the smaller screen size be part of it? Which Android browser do you use/like?
Old 03-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
They are still mostly in development. Should be good to go soon.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:04 AM   #10
Warp3
Warp3 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe / Motorola Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm1979 View Post
I've gotten all of my apps from AndAppStore.com - not a HUGE selection, but enough to keep ya busy for a while. My next step is to try installing apps directly from my fiance's Eris, which connects to the Android Marketplace...I'll post back with my results as soon as I do that.
Thank you for that link!

Thanks to that site, I *finally* have a Korean keyboard on my PocketEdge. I had tried exporting various Korean IMEs and keyboard apps to SD from my Droid X (like I've done with other apps) to side load them on the PE, but apparently keyboard applications don't show up in the "Backup Application" list the way normal apps do. AndAppStore is the first site I've seen that both offers APK download links *and* has keyboard apps listed.
Warp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:45 AM   #11
janhall_us
Enthusiast
janhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle2, Pocket eDGe, (full-size) eDGe, Nexus 7, Galaxy Note 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp3 View Post
...I *finally* have a Korean keyboard on my PocketEdge.
OT, sorry... but if you're looking for a Korean keyboard I highly recommend DioPen. http://www.diotek.com/?ui=customer_DownTrial&Div=DioPen
janhall_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #12
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibrou View Post
According to enTourage, we should be able to download and install Android Apps from various developers. I have been able to download a couple, but when I go to run them, they always indicate that something is "missing," e.g. source file missing, or application missing, or something like that. What am I doing wrong when installing android apps from non-Market sources and trying to run them on the eDGe? I am new to Android OS, so I am sure there is something simple I am missing. Any direction is greatly appreciated.
Check out the thread I put together for new Edge owners. I detail several excellent Apps that will work with your device and where to go to get them. Also, I have links to several websites where you can download Apps.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132878
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #13
mpmills
mpmills began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage PE
Would be nice if you (or someone equally talented) could make this post a "sticky" at the top of the main page, as borisb did with the welcome basket on the other forum? Lot's of good info there for those of us lacking in "search" skills.

mike
mpmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:33 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I made it a sticky for you but for reference purposes a wiki page is better. It could refer to this thread for any needed discussion.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #15
Sarasuru
Sarasuru began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
has anyone played with the Netflix app? I know it's not streaming on most devices yet, but I just downloaded the .apk from Android Police. The log in page pops up fine but when i actually hit "log in" the screen goes white then the app shuts down.

I've got a Pocket Edge running on Ermine.

Thanks for any ideas!
Sarasuru is offline   Reply With Quote