Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
CaelThunderwing
Zealot
CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: K3(Wifi+3G)
update Jailbreak?

i know its not ever really needed to update it but the last time i went on wifi i got auto sent to the Software update screen. (kindle i guess was booted into it OTA)

i have No clue i think 0.7N for the jailbreak version from when i first did it. is there any reason between that and now i should try to update? and ifso how should i go about it as i tried once allready and got "another jailbreak found, aborting..."
CaelThunderwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
use the uninstaller for the latest version, then install the latest version.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:44 PM   #3
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Or go full cowboy like me and just splatter it over. Trust in the Niluje

Disclaimer: My advice is invariably bad : )
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:07 AM   #4
CaelThunderwing
Zealot
CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40

just did, and still said "Found another jailbreak, aborting ..." w/ U006 before restarting, (the 0.11N uninstaller did run w/o error though) do i haveto uninstall USBNetworking + the python package before re-running the 0.11N Jailbreak installer ?

heres the latest ;dumpMessages log:
Attached Files
File Type: txt all_logs_as_of_Mon_Dec_03_13.39.17_GMT-03.55_2012.txt (139.3 KB, 592 views)

Last edited by CaelThunderwing; 12-03-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
121203:133159 ota_install: E def:update::Another jailbreak is already installed, aborting.
Okay. So did you use the Jailbreak from Yifan Lu?

As - in : IS ANOTHER jailbreak installed?

Let me put that another way... Do you have the original file you jailbroke with?

A look at that would be mighty helpful round about now
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
CaelThunderwing
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Okay. So did you use the Jailbreak from Yifan Lu?

As - in : IS ANOTHER jailbreak installed?

Let me put that another way... Do you have the original file you jailbroke with?

A look at that would be mighty helpful round about now
yes i have (yifan Lu's because i got my Kindle while it had 3.2.1) the latest up there is 0.5N

edit ok ran that ones uninstaller and well thers progress but not much now i get U007
Attached new log dump

Edit 2: using https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/K3noobdebrickatk to factorize it w/ 3.4 JB'd i've backe dup my Content (except my collections its a small annoyance but ehh. though kinda pray as its in the RootFS stage that 1: Laptop doesnt reboot (diabled wifi + unpluged eithernet to be Safe from auto updates) 2: i lose power and/or 3: while getting in and out of my room the power cord of said laptop doesnt come out (easily does and the battery interally is so mush the system wont even say it can charge.)

aaand now it's stuck (wont get out of USB Mode)
Edit 3: i belive it's the screen thats frozen because it'll go into ATK mode just fine. i opened the back and removed the battery letting it sit and hope this atleast helps it reboot.
Attached Files
File Type: txt all_logs_as_of_Mon_Dec_03_14.53.46_GMT-03.55_2012.txt (541.9 KB, 461 views)

Last edited by CaelThunderwing; 12-04-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Not sure how well the OP is doing, but, just to clarify things a bit:

To update the (K3) jailbreak, you *NEED* to:

* Uninstall your *current* JB (if it's mine, you can, and should, use the uninstaller from the latest version).
* Restart your device (especially if you have an older JB/yifan's).
* Install the latest version.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:07 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaelThunderwing View Post

- - - -

3: while getting in and out of my room the power cord of said laptop doesnt come out (easily does and the battery interally is so mush the system wont even say it can charge.)

aaand now it's stuck (wont get out of USB Mode)
Edit 3: i belive it's the screen thats frozen because it'll go into ATK mode just fine. i opened the back and removed the battery letting it sit and hope this atleast helps it reboot.
Are you recharging the Kindle from that flaky setup?

In that situation, I have to ask you how you are ensuring that the Kindle's battery is fully charged?

Or are you using an external battery charger on the Kindle battery while it is not installed?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:11 AM   #9
CaelThunderwing
Zealot

at first yes the only option i have left to try is my adapted 5v 1.2A Charger i did up for my RaspberryPi but considering the stock charger is only 0.85A im not sure if a 1.2A charger would damage it.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:33 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not any worse chance of damage than that involved with using the Amazon provided wall charger (which is also an 800+ ma device).

The Kindles have internal battery and charge management, the capacity of the source will not matter as long as that management works.

Note: You plug your 100 watt light bulb into a xxx MegaWatt generating station (when using 'mains' power).
Old 12-10-2012, 07:09 AM   #11
CaelThunderwing
Zealot

i'll try i did just see the other person basicly having the problem of USB Download dropping but i did ask him what his average idle and active use life was. (one you replied to) i can say when wifi was active using Kaffine and the Media player app w/ a radio stream going it died @ 8hr's w/ the screen telling me the battery needs to be charged.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #12
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
And if you did this, waiting till the music stops, that would also be an explanation for a worn-out battery. It's not really made for this, I think. Lots of people have the problem of interrupted flashing attempts (sometimes it doesn't even start) and in all cases a dead battery seemed to be the explanation.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #13
CaelThunderwing
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
And if you did this, waiting till the music stops, that would also be an explanation for a worn-out battery. It's not really made for this, I think. Lots of people have the problem of interrupted flashing attempts (sometimes it doesn't even start) and in all cases a dead battery seemed to be the explanation.
what i dont get Why it was flashing properly Before i removed the battery and not now? (i only removed the battery a si mentioned it seemed to flash fine but wasnt rebooting, it kept on screen "USB Drive Mode" and still does)
Old 12-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaelThunderwing View Post
what i dont get Why it was flashing properly Before i removed the battery and not now? (i only removed the battery a si mentioned it seemed to flash fine but wasnt rebooting, it kept on screen "USB Drive Mode" and still does)
Battery management had the power enabled, even though it was too low.

Then you took the power off of the battery management chip.

Now, during the battery management chips start-up (when you replaced the battery power), it detects that the battery too discharged to run the device.

At least that is how I would guess at the sequence of events.

Re-charge the battery while removed from the Kindle using an external Li-Ion charger.
The Kindle's battery management can't "cold start" (meaning an over discharged battery) the system.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #15
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
One possible workaround for flashing with a low-capacity battery is if it could be flashed in smaller segments, with a recharge in between flashes.

Perhaps k3flasher could be modified for multi-segmented flashing. And it would use much less energy to only flash the erase blocks that actually changed (read each block before deciding whether to flash it). Flashing an image that is the same version as the bricked one could be much faster and use a lot less battery.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote