Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-07-2006, 10:21 AM   #1
dna2z
dna2z began at the beginning.

PDF scaling gets lost when margins change

I'm having a serious issue with PDF scaling.

PDFs of book pages read best when they're set to "M" scaling because this setting basically zooms to the text width (as opposed to the page width). The problem is that when the margins change, the scaling reverts back to page width. Most books have different margins for left-hand and right-hand pages, to accommodate for the spine, so the scaling gets lost after a single page turn. The result is that I have to hit the scale button twice after every page turn to revert back to small scaling, then rescale at medium scaling. It's a real PITA.

Does anyone know a way around this? It's potentially a deal killer.

y
dna2z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:49 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
First, off: Welcome to MobileRead!

The PDF thing has been a known problem pretty much since the beginning. If you don't have access to recreate the PDF's in a size suitable for the reader, your options are pretty limited.

There are a number of threads in the Content subforum which discus various efforts to convert PDF's into more flexible formats (like RTF) that display better on the Reader. The results have varied, and I don't think anyone has a magic bullet yet.

For my own part, I just try to avoid PDF's for now.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2006, 02:36 PM   #3
dna2z
dna2z began at the beginning.

Maybe this is old news, but I found that the height of PDF pages is of critical importance. When reading sideways, the reader goes to great lengths to ensure that the zoom makes a page into two screenfulls (with a 2-line overlap). By trimming off the headers and footers on your PDFs (easily done in acrobat - you can do all pages in one shot), the reader zooms in much tighter. The downside is that you've trimmed off the page numbers, but I think that's a small price to pay.

y
dna2z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 07:21 PM   #4
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

yup, i have the same issue. the interesting fact is that, this only occurs when i am going forward, if i do page back(multiple times), the size information on the pdf seems to be retained.

what's even more strange is that this pdf book i am reading that is formated to A5(5.8x8.3) retained its size properly for the first 150 pages, then this "lost size state" started to happen.
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 06:09 PM   #5
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

i noticed that my pdfs are starting to retain its scale information again. try resetting the reader using the button on the back to see if this works for you.
Advert
Old 11-29-2006, 10:20 PM   #6
jakeluck
Groupie

the bug is still there, after 5-10 page turns, now it starts to "forget" the pdf size again: e.g. page was in medium mode, after page turn, even when the page is in small mode, the reader think it is in medium mode, indicated by the "M" in the status bar, pressing the size button twice restores the correct medium scale.