Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 07:23 PM   #31
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
For example, I came across the word 'irrefragable' in a Richard Dawkins book last week. Although I had never seen it before, it was pretty obvious from context that it must mean something like 'impossible to argue with' (and no, I still haven't looked it up).
Huh. I would've guessed 'impossible to frag, because someone already fragged him and he came back' ...

One-touch dictionary wouldn't be a make-or-break feature for me, either. Although if it were one-touch wikipedia, I might be tempted!

Re the OP - I think you have a good point about the risk:benefit ratio offered by B&N... they really could provide a bigger incentive. Maybe they just figured they'd have enough preorders without the incentives.
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:37 PM   #32
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Not sure why you'd find adjectives any more difficult than any other aspect of language.
Because you cannot infer the meaning from context and it is very easy to guess wrong if you do not look it up. Two word that I had the wrong meaning for many years was "gingerly" and "bemused" just because I guessed and did not check in a dictionary that my guess was correct. And my guesses did seem to fit nearly all uses so it took years for me to find an example that did not fit that made me check in a dictionary.

Bu then there is just old and uncommon word that is hard to know the meaning of like "obnubilate".
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 07:45 PM   #33
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
But then there is just old and uncommon word that is hard to know the meaning of like "obnubilate".
*nod* See, I would've guessed 'hide the young sexy woman' ...

Maybe I should rethink the whole dictionary thing
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:11 PM   #34
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Quite right - I am entitled to my opinion and others are entitled to theirs.
That is the gist of my comment about why they make Fords and Chevys, despite similar features, costs, and looks, some people desire only Fords and others desire only Chevys (likewise Rolls and Bentleys).

Quote:
My point was, that if you are basing your choice of an e-reader on the availibility of a dictionary, then I would suggest that you don't read enough to make an e-reader a worthwhile investment.
In this comment you seem to contradict your previous comment that others have a right to their opinion that selection of a e-reader based on the availability of a dictionary is their entitlement. Obviously enough market analysis confirms this is a desirable feature or e-reader manufacturers wouldn't go to the added cost of engineering one into their devices. In fact, you have to go out of your way to buy a recently released e-reader that doesn't have dictionary support. But then I'm sure that you'll refuse to use that feature on your next device because you've known all the words you need to know since the 6th grade and you can cypher out the rest.

Despite the fact that you don't want us to do so, there are quite a few folks on this forum that consider dictionary support as a 'must have' feature in an e-reader. So your derogatory comment at the beginning of this thread will gain you nothing good here. You're incorrect in assuming no one wants the dictionary feature and you're incorrect in assuming we're somehow your inferior for wanting dictionary support.

Last edited by pking36330; 10-21-2009 at 08:19 PM.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:23 PM   #35
fuzzy_dunlop
Enthusiast
fuzzy_dunlop began at the beginning.

Device: none
Back in the day I pre-ordered a Playstation two months before it came out, upon release they told me the shipment had not yet arrived. It took a full month after release for the thing to arrive and I ended up being the last person on the block instead of the first to get it. Being a kid that month was the equivalent of 6 adult years.

Pre-ordering is a bit of a scam and of little benefit to consumers.
fuzzy_dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 08:42 PM   #36
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:

My point was, that if you are basing your choice of an e-reader on the availibility of a dictionary, then I would suggest that you don't read enough to make an e-reader a worthwhile investment.
Or..........you read enough to know that you don't know the meaning of every word ever published, and have an inquiring mind.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:47 PM   #37
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Gosh, I feel so left out. When thread was fresh, and pking's post was the last one, I was gonna toss out that I, too, consider a dictionary quite useful. I, too, could have been abused and tossed out with the garbage for not knowing every word in the English language. (I'm not very good as scrabble, either)

Now, I may or may not purchase a reader with a dictionary, but by the time I make the choice, it may be difficult to avoid it and it won't hurt my feelings. But there is no doubt the reader device manufacturers pay attention to the forums, and mentioning how useful one finds a dictionary to be cannot hurt. A few people saying it is a deal-breaker can get even more attention.

Perusing a pd book from the first part of the century, I ran upon two words in the first 25 pages with which I was unfamiliar -- portentous, and nutation. YOU may know what they mean, but I don't. In casual conversation with our (college grad) renters about remodeling the rental house, my wife was recently astounded that they didn't know what a cupboard was, or the meaning of "residual" funds.

So a dictionary may not be critical, but it sure is useful.

Just my 2 cents presented in a $5 wrapper.

eGeezer

(still can't find where to create a signature)
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:17 PM   #38
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
(still can't find where to create a signature)
Welcome Geezer......you have to have at least 10 posts before your 'signature' option is enabled......this is to prevent "spam" signatures.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:13 PM   #39
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Same here, I was going to pre-order and then I started reading B&N return policy on this board and hesitated and I also read about being immediately charged and completely changed my mind. I will now wait for reviews. I will also wait until I can personally go to My nearest B&N and play with it a little. With a Kindle 2 & PRS-505, I think waiting is good thing because I sure don't need another 6 inch reader but the B&N was tempting. Now I had a chance to think about it a little, I probably will wait to add a bigger screen reader like I intended.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:18 PM   #40
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I just wanted to reiterate that the Nook does in fact have dictionary support. This is based on looking at the features comparison chart to the Kindle 2 on the Nook website.

Personally, I rarely use the dictionary on my Kindle, so I can understand Bilbo's position. However, I can also understand everyone else feeling like Bilbo is telling them that the value they place on the dictionary function is not justified and they strongly disagree. Yet, regardless of your position on the value of an integrated dictionary, I think we are getting off track because the Nook has a dictionary.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:21 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a 505. It works well. So no need to spend the money on a Nook. Besides, I'm waiting to find out about the QUE, The PRS-900, and the DR800SG (sp?).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:46 PM   #42
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I just wanted to reiterate that the Nook does in fact have dictionary support. This is based on looking at the features comparison chart to the Kindle 2 on the Nook website.
Thanks for reiterating that, Daithi. I thot I had seen it earlier in the thread, but everyone was so involved in the important task of nitpicking one casual comment, it got lost.

And thanks for the clarification on the signature, Gramma. Funny they don't mention that in a help screen somewhere. They tell you where to input your signature, but not the initial restrictions.

eGeezer

One more post to go, then. LOL.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:53 PM   #43
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
Thanks for reiterating that, Daithi. I thot I had seen it earlier in the thread, but everyone was so involved in the important task of nitpicking one casual comment, it got lost.

And thanks for the clarification on the signature, Gramma. Funny they don't mention that in a help screen somewhere. They tell you where to input your signature, but not the initial restrictions.

eGeezer

One more post to go, then. LOL.
maybe because it takes a minnimum of 10 posts for people to get signature envy?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:02 PM   #44
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
As I said, I very rarely come across a word that I don't know the meaning of or can't infer from context. Of course if I really was totally stumped, I would look it up when I got home.

Your suggestion does not bear weight with me against my experience.

I based my choice of an e-reader on the "availability of a dictionary", and I have never not been reading a book since...well, since as far back as I can remember. I can infer meaning from context, and I'm also sure folks here would justly contest that my vocabulary is on occasion too impracticably broad for general social communication (that's most times a flaw, I know - I am socially inept, a product of my antisocial introversion, no doubt). However, I have a pedantry for exact meaning (sometimes meaning inferred from context does not convey the complete intent of the author's use of the word), and a passion for words and their uses, abuses, misuses, and mischief, and a knowledge that some of the authors that I read precisely select words for not just meaning but etymology - this passion is an intrinsic part of my passion for reading.

I would never buy an e-reader without user-selectable dictionary lookup.

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by montsnmags; 10-21-2009 at 11:31 PM.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:51 PM   #45
llurgy
llurgy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.llurgy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.llurgy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.llurgy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lindle
I too am looking for a new ereader WITH an inbuilt dictionary. It is going to be for my 'just' 13 year old daughter. She has just started to really read her way through the young adult books and is coming across vocabulary that she sometimes doesnt know, even when reading it in context she is sometimes still puzzled.
When reading a DTB she will have the dictionary someplace close. When I let her read for a while on my Kindle she loved the inbuilt dictionary for its ease of use (our DT dictionary is one of the large tomes, not a pocket edition).
She has done nothing but complain about having to use the big monster book since I took my Kindle back. We compromised and now she borrows my iPod Touch to look up words until she gets her own ereader.
So.....Yes, an inbuilt dictionary is a must!

I will however not be going for the Nook until they put folders on it. I am looking for something better than my Kindle 1 to tempt me away from the Amazon format. The Nook would have won out if it would have only incorporated some sort of folder organization into its firmware.
llurgy is offline   Reply With Quote