Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-30-2008, 07:20 AM   #1
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Dictionary lookup time

I got a new Cybook as replacement for my old one today so I decided to measure how a lot of books in top directories influences lookup time (as discussed in another thread).

I have two dictionaries. With 280 books in the top directory the time from pressing the "enter button" until I got the list of words to choose from was 24 seconds. With only the dictionaries in the top directory the time was 4 seconds.

So the Cybook manual should really say that all non-dictionary books should be placed in a sub directory.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:23 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have you bought a new one, Tommy, or did Bookeen send you one as a replacement for your faulty one? Good tip about putting non-dictionaries in a sub-folder.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2008, 07:26 AM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you bought a new one, Tommy, or did Bookeen send you one as a replacement for your faulty one? Good tip about putting non-dictionaries in a sub-folder.
They sent me a replacement (probably directly when they got my broken unit since it only took a week). The page turning button seems to be much better so hopefully I will get less pain in my thumb...
Old 10-30-2008, 07:30 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, the navigation button on the 512MB units is a LOT better than it was on the 64k ones - much "softer" to the touch. Has your new one come with firmware version 802?
Old 10-30-2008, 08:16 AM   #5
elena
Connoisseur
elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I have two dictionaries. With 280 books in the top directory the time from pressing the "enter button" until I got the list of words to choose from was 24 seconds. With only the dictionaries in the top directory the time was 4 seconds.

So the Cybook manual should really say that all non-dictionary books should be placed in a sub directory.
what if the dictionary file is named so that it appears to be the first book in list, with all the books in the main directory?
elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2008, 08:45 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I don't see why that should affect it. You can have as many dictionaries installed as you wish. Just because one is found first in the library doesn't mean that there's not going to be another one right at the end, does it?
Old 10-30-2008, 09:51 AM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, the navigation button on the 512MB units is a LOT better than it was on the 64k ones - much "softer" to the touch. Has your new one come with firmware version 802?
Yes, it was 802.

It also had a sticker in the SD slot warning to put in the card the right way.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:56 AM   #8
elena
Connoisseur
elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: CyBook Gen3
Quote:
I don't see why that should affect it. You can have as many dictionaries installed as you wish. Just because one is found first in the library doesn't mean that there's not going to be another one right at the end, does it?
sounds reasonable, but, granted that I never had more than 100 books in my library, I never had to wait so much as 20 seconds to have the results of a lookup.
As my (only) dictionary has always been the very first of the book list, I was wondering if there's a connection between the two things.
elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #9
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Interesting point about putting the non-dictionaries in a sub-folder.

With my 64k cybook, I kept the dictionaries on the hard drive and books on the card. With my 512 everything is on the hard drive - and yes - it does take a while to look up - so much so I get to wondering if I had pressed the button ....

I haven't succumbed to using an SD card - yet - don't want to 'tempt' fate ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:05 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

When you say "hard drive", presumably you're referring to the Gen3's internal flash memory?
Old 10-30-2008, 02:08 PM   #11
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
sorry - force of habit - yes I do ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:45 PM   #12
captaingeorges
Zealot
captaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Iphone32g, ipad, Kobo
I have all my books on the SD card (About 100). My 3 Oxford dictionnaries (English, English to french, French to English) in the main flash memory and everything works just fine.

In conclusion I have tempted fate and nothing bad has happened.

Regards,

Georges
captaingeorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:40 PM   #13
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
With my 512 everything is on the hard drive - and yes - it does take a while to look up - so much so I get to wondering if I had pressed the button .....
Have you tried creating a folder within the "eBooks\" folder on your Cybook? You could name it 'in progress' or something, put all the books you are reading into that folder and leave only dictionaries in "eBooks\". That may speed up your search time.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 02:12 AM   #14
slussen2
Enthusiast
slussen2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I have a question which already might have appeared somewhere - if so, apologies.
Has anybody come up with a useful procedure for looking up words in any dictionary on an SD card without the intermediary of a book? That is, you have your Bookeen (as in my case) with you and you wonder how a certain word translates into another language.
I started to use the Go To (page) facility blindly, calibrating the results in my diary, but this is SLOW and when I tried to go quickly the device froze (soon unfrozen however by a USB recharge).
Mike
slussen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:15 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'm afraid that I honestly can't think of a good way to do that.