Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-18-2007, 06:34 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Discworld novels

The Color of Magic is available now at some ebook shops in MS Reader, Adobe, Mobipocket, & eReader formats. It was once available in BBeB, but the publisher pulled this book in any format. Now it's back. Just not yet in BBeB. So if you want to get into the Discworld series from the beginning, the first book is now out in electronic format.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:21 PM   #2
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
I highly recommend Terry Pratchett's discworld novels. They are truly unique and entertaining. I own just about all of them in hardback, and have actually acquired several through Fictionwise when they had 100% micropay rebates on them.

I have to say, my favorite character in the discworld novels is the anthropomorphic manifestation of Death.

Great books.

Last edited by junkml; 10-20-2007 at 11:01 AM.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2007, 10:38 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do like Mort and I also like the sapient luggage as well.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:20 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please note that the correct title is "The Colour of Magic", not "The Color of Money".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 05:26 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please note that the correct title is "The Colour of Magic", not "The Color of Money".
Thanks for the correction. The title is The Color of Magic in the ebooks shops I've seen it in.
Advert
Old 10-19-2007, 05:41 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Obviously aimed at the American market. The British version spells it "colour", of course
Old 10-19-2007, 05:43 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Obviously aimed at the American market. The British version spells it "colour", of course
A lot of people would not find it on a title search if was spelled colour. Too bad the ebook shops are not set to allow alternate spellings like that in a title search.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:15 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I've just tried doing a book search for "The Colour of Magic" on the US Amazon site, and the #1 hit is the US edition of "The Color of Magic", so it appears that Amazon, at least, is "smart" in that respect.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:30 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I've just tried doing a book search for "The Colour of Magic" on the US Amazon site, and the #1 hit is the US edition of "The Color of Magic", so it appears that Amazon, at least, is "smart" in that respect.
I just checked with a few ebook shops that have the book and colour did not find it where color did.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:39 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Trouble is, of course, that it works both ways. Countries which use British spellings (which is pretty much every English-speaking country outside North America) won't think to search using the American spellings. The online stores should ideally list both variants of the title to maximise search hits.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:43 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

What I would do if I could not find it via the title would be to look by author and eventually I should find it.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:38 AM   #12
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I wish publishers didn't feel they had to change spellings (and vocabulary, in some cases) when publishing books by British authors in the U.S. and vice versa. (I still can't believe they changed "philosopher's stone" to "sorcerer's stone". Talk about giving something a completely different meaning!) It's nice that Amazon is smart enough to find colour/color either way it is spelled, but to my mind leaving the spelling in its British form adds to the charm of the book-- and clearly Amazon readers would find the book if the spelling were left alone.

Then again, sometimes titles are changed completely in new editions. Good Night Irene, by Carole Nelson Douglas, was changed to The Adventuress in the latest printing, at the author's request (evidently that was her preferred title). And then sometimes author's names change, as when Alis Rasmussen became Kate Eliot... how are we supposed to keep up???

Anyway, I suppose I might mention that I personally couldn't get through The Colour of Magic, but I liked several of the later books in the series, particularly those featuring the witches (Wyrd Sisters, Witches Abroad, Maskerade, and especially the Tiffany Aching books, The Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky, and Wintersmith). I'm quite looking forward to I Shall Wear Midnight (the title of which seems designed to remind one of the poem that begins, "When I am old, I shall wear purple....") The Tiffany Aching books are all available as ebooks now, and don't require that you've read any of the others to enjoy them.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:36 AM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
You'd be really surprised to find the differences brought by translations some times. The style of an author at times becomes totally non-existant. Sometimes while reading the works of an Anglophone writer in French, I've had to choose which translator to read! From one translation to an other, differences are such as to leave a familar style unrecognizable. There are difficulties inherent to translating such as words with no equivalent to the other languages or unapplicable grammar rules, and there is the feat of a brilliant translator. Not only do we have to choose some author to read but rummage the book's usually unread pages for the name of the translator.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:24 PM   #14
DeGodefroi
Zealot
DeGodefroi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite (had Illiad)
Yep, that is why I NEVER read English books translated in Dutch.
But then, I could do that since I know English.
For French etc..I need the translated version.
DeGodefroi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:53 PM   #15
ischeriad
Connoisseur
ischeriad began at the beginning.

Device: PB Pro 903, Kobo Touch [Past: Story, Clié N770C, SL-10, Palm IIIxe, V]
Maybe amazon indexes also the original title? That would be a wise thing to do.
ischeriad is offline   Reply With Quote