Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
remcdonald
Connoisseur
remcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch
Kobo Touch Review

Hi All so I picked up my all new Kobo Touch last night and thought I would write up a review for all the people wondering about them here. Full disclosure up front I work at a Chapters (we make the Kobo) which means I'm a little biased but it also means I'm familiar with all the old models and what can go wrong with them (being the tech guy I'm usually the one they call to fix your Kobo when you bring it in).

The first thing you will notice about seeing the Kobo touch is its size and weight it is noticeably smaller, lighter and I think nicer looking than the original. The visual appeal of them is very nice and it definitely mantained the better parts of the old Kobo such as the quilted backing. As well when you turn it on you will notice the old power button with its push and release is gone (good I say I hated that button) it has been replaced by a slider that you pull over and which then snaps back to sleep or wake the device and which you hold over then release to power off the device.

Next when you get close you see the interface. Gone is the I'm reading screen and the old interface. Instead you have a pile showing the covers of the last five books you have read that you can touch to read one of them. Along the top are three buttons allowing you to connect to your library, the store, and the reading life app. The library button is subdivided allowing you to choose books, magazines, and even a shortlist that you can set up. The store works much the same as it did in the old version. Reading Life is the ipod app for kobo and gives you awards and stats based around your reading its kind of fun to see but not essential. On the bottom of the screen are three additional buttons which will open your settings menu, your help menu, and to resync the device.

When a book is clicked on the touch screen is very good and reacts well and has a crisp look to it. You click the left or right side of the screen to change pages and the middle to bring up the in book menu to change font size, scroll through a book or change chapters. This thing is fast compared to the old ones and the blinking of the screen is much less noticeable. Overall the interface is well thought out and works great even the holding a word to bring up the selection for highlighting or the dictionary.

The fonts are crisper on the new device and the extra fonts let you get really big and really small since you now have 16 sizes to play with. As well the new option to use a slider to move a book around inside a chapter makes finding a page you lost much easier and less of a groan.

The wifi setup is easy and takes only a few minutes. Again with the store this device is noticeably faster than the old one and the touch screen makes inputting terms much easier. As well the search is now reactive bringing up book titles as you type to suggest what you are looking for which is awesome. When you buy a book it is added to your front screen along with a progress bar that shows how the download is progressing. As someone has already said there is a beta web browser that they are working on built in and if you need to use it it seems to work very well and is responsive.

I know people have been worried about screen smudges and it does happen. My display devices at work showed some smudging towards the end of the day yesterday. But keep in mind that was after a day being touched by everyone coming into the store including some really grubby handed kids and the like.

The desktop application has also been redone and now looks much better and runs more smoothly. As well the device is using Mini USB and Mini SD so your old cards and cables will not work (you get a new cable though so that's not a problem).

Overall this is home run by the folks at Kobo. I have an original Kobo and I liked it, especially living in Canada and having kindle as pretty much my only other option. But I always felt that Kobo could have made something nicer and envied the Nook a little bit. Now, this device is a worthy competitor to the Nook and Kindle. I would write more but I think I want to go back to reading now. Overall, try one out even if you didn't like the original I think you will be pleasantly suprised by this new offering
remcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Welcome aboard, remcdonald!

We can sometimes get a bit collectively snarky in here but pay no mind ...

I strongly agree Kobo has learned and listened and delivered a dynamic ereader that can stand proudly side-by-side with Kindle and Sony in Canada (and Nook in the US, although I've never had one in my hand to try out).

I've been playing with it (and reading) for a day now and haven't found anything yet that gives me pause. Great work, folks!

The best part? All these updates, new fangled touch screen, etc ... and the brand has managed to keep the Simple front-and-centre. It's much more capable without adding any complexity. Bravo on that!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
Hi there!

HOw KT handle PDF?
Can you take highlights of text and are easy to find?
IF you zoom in, how is the pan feature?

On epubs, can you take highlights of text?
Can you add personal notes to the highlights?

I am considering Nook T or Kobo T, but I am inclined to Kbo T.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Welcome aboard, remcdonald!

We can sometimes get a bit collectively snarky in here but pay no mind ...

I strongly agree Kobo has learned and listened and delivered a dynamic ereader that can stand proudly side-by-side with Kindle and Sony in Canada (and Nook in the US, although I've never had one in my hand to try out).

I've been playing with it (and reading) for a day now and haven't found anything yet that gives me pause. Great work, folks!

The best part? All these updates, new fangled touch screen, etc ... and the brand has managed to keep the Simple front-and-centre. It's much more capable without adding any complexity. Bravo on that!
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #4
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I have been playing with it today and I think it's a great little device. Still some tweaks I would like to see (collections, for the love of g-d, please!) and I think the desktop app (which I was required to install in order to both register the device and upgrade the firmware so I could get the wifi working) is a piece of kludge I would rather do without. Also, I noticed some pretty obvious ghosting when I turned the page

Overall though, very slick and a nice little gadget. My stepmother is getting one (it is her first ereader) and I think she'll be quite happy. I had wavered between keeping it and returning it, and I think I'll keep it. My Kindle is getting sluggish since it has so many books on it, and I'd like to move all the short stories and magazines off it since I mostly read those one or two at a time. So they will be perfect bedtime reading and I can keep the Kobo handy for that.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:49 PM   #5
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydive View Post
Hi there!

HOw KT handle PDF?
Can you take highlights of text and are easy to find?
IF you zoom in, how is the pan feature?

On epubs, can you take highlights of text?
Can you add personal notes to the highlights?

I am considering Nook T or Kobo T, but I am inclined to Kbo T.

I was just playing with each of these things:

PDF - I find it works great; much better than previous version of KOBO; you can double tap to zoom and zoom out, although by a preset amount, or you can bring up the menu to zoom/zoom out with a little more precision. While zoomed, you can grab the page and move it around so you can view what you want. very nicely done.

Highlighting text/personal notes - You can highlight text on books synced with the store, but not with sideloaded books. You cannot take notes at all; this was disapointing. It's more or less just another way to book mark particulars.

Dictionary - works for kobo synced books only, but seems to work better on plural words than it used to....
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2011, 01:54 AM   #6
remcdonald
Connoisseur
remcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch
Thanks for the welcome ohh snarky I like snarky....Yes no notes yet and highlighting only on Kobo bookstore books (which is fine since I do tend to use their store since I'm a stickler for paying for content to support authors and the like and I'm too lazy to shop around too much). Note that I said yet if there is one thing I do approve of with Kobo its that they are not afraid to innovate and update their stuff. I wouldn't be suprised to see a patch come down for the ereader that added those features rather quickly it probably just needed a little bit more development time. I know for certain they said that they are going to have book lending and self publishing working soon for kobo which makes me very happy on both fronts.
remcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:13 AM   #7
drawlll
drawlll began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
ficbot mentioned ghosting on page turns how bad is it ??
drawlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:33 AM   #8
joshmosh
Enthusiast
joshmosh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by drawlll View Post
ficbot mentioned ghosting on page turns how bad is it ??
This is the biggest issue I have with it to be honest. When reading the main thing is clarity of the text/page, and without doing a full screen refresh the old text ghosts and causes the new text to be much less sharp than it should be. This is VERY annoying and if it isn't fixed (as in an option to turn on full page refresh) then it is basically a deal breaker.

I also noticed ghosting in other places, like the home screen when a menu would overlap the book covers and I closed the menu. The menu could still faintly be seen on the book covers even though there was a black flash refresh. This is kind of concerning and I hope it can be fixed. It shows up in many different scenarios...maybe someone can back me up on this kind of thing.
joshmosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:01 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
You can "clear" the ghosting, as you are reading, by going back a page, and then forward again. When you do that, if you pay attention, you'll notice that the first 3 pages are fine, then you will start to see the ghosting. It clears out when a full refresh happens after six pages.

I'm guessing that the Kobo (and Nook) developers had to choose between ghosting/partial refreshes/speed and no ghosting/full page refreshes/slower speed. The decision to go for speed was made. I hate the ghosting, and would have made a different choice, but had Kobo done that, we would have complaints about the speed here in place of the complaints about the ghosting.

I wonder if it could be made into user's choice, as well. Or, since the fist three pages seem fine, if a compromise might be to do the full refresh after three, rather than after six.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:09 AM   #10
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I'm guessing that the Kobo (and Nook) developers had to choose between ghosting/partial refreshes/speed and no ghosting/full page refreshes/slower speed. The decision to go for speed was made. I hate the ghosting, and would have made a different choice, but had Kobo done that, we would have complaints about the speed here in place of the complaints about the ghosting.
Is there anybody who has both a KT and a Sony Reader x50 or Kindle 3 who can compare page turn speeds? I thought speed was to do more with the processor? I honestly think the page turn speed on my 350 is fine, and I similarly haven't heard any complaints from Kindle 3 users. I'm curious to see how the speed of page turns compares to the KT (or NST).

I thought the attraction of partial refreshes for some people was less page flashes for those that find it distracting. I'd think that having a black flash pop up in your face every few pages or so instead of often but consistently would be even more distracting, but I've never minded the flashes that come with full refreshes anyway...
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:25 AM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Something else is going on with the ghosting. Yesterday morning, it seemed that I was having no ghosting and then later in the day it was happening again. Now I have had the same experience. I turned my Kobo on, have read over 200 pages, and no ghosting. Compare this to the every six pages shtuff from the end of the day, hum....

Maybe I am using the wrong words, I can consistently see (but just barely) where other lines of text have been on the screen. I imagine it impacts contrast, but it's not enough to bother me. This is in marked contrast to something that really does bother me, when fairly dark "blocks" appear to come off of the left side of the reader, and which contain text that I can almost read. They disappear every six pages. This is what has happened later in the day on both days I have been using the Touch. The word is not out yet for today

It makes me wonder if something I did yesterday with the Touch somehow triggers this kind of behaviour. Not something wrong, just something done in the course of using the reader. And I wonder if actually having the reader go off, rather thn just sleeping did a reset.

In any case, I am going to watch for it, and would appreciate it if anyone else that might be seeing something similar would chime in.

Last edited by taming; 06-12-2011 at 05:58 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-12-2011, 06:50 AM   #12
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
So I gave my husband his early Father's Day gift Friday, and he is very happy with it. He's reading one book and played around with it a bit, not necessarily putting it through all its paces. He is very happy with it after being a reluctant convert. Getting the newest book from his favourite author using the $10 gift certificate helped convince him!

He hasn't noticed any ghosting at all. He is having trouble turning pages forward though - not backwards. He normally taps with his thumb, says it makes no difference if he swipes or taps with finger though. But every time he complains and goes to show someone, the tap works (even if he had 3 unsuccesful taps immediately previous). So something about the way he's holding it maybe?

Anyone else had page-turning issues?
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:29 AM   #13
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Aha! Yes it is the way he's holding it. As he was tapping with his right thumb, his left thumb was slightly over the edge of the bezel and probably blocking the IR receiver on the other side of the screen.(?) Anyway - move left thumb, page turns.
---------------------
EDIT: No maybe that's not the whole of it - he is still having trouble with page turns using a huge font size. He dropped it by one and it seems OK now. But I have to add, I changed pages like 50 times in a row by tapping, no problem.

Last edited by dmacmart; 06-12-2011 at 09:33 AM.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:26 AM   #14
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I haven't noticed the ghosting at all. I would occasionally see that on the Kobo WiFi but it fades away on its own doesn't it?

In any case, I am scratching my head wondering about this fuss soley base don my experience where I have yet to see it. It's entirely possible that's my eyes or reading light levels (is it more pronounced in brighter or lower lights?).

I should caveat that the so called "flash" of eink which some folks find troublesome has never bothered me at all. There was a dramatic change from Kindle 2 fall 2009 to the Kindle 2 patch upgrade Feb 2010 and again with Kindle 3 which runs circles around Kindle 2 and every Kobo I've tried in terms of page turns. But the pokey Original Kobo page turns vs the faster Kobo Wifi are just part of the reading experience on each device and I adapt easily. I am actively using four ereaders: all three Kobos and the Kindle 3 -- short stories on the OK, one book shared on the KW and KT (so I can test out the syncing, different feel) and a different book on the Kindle 3.

I am likely to retire the OK very soon (my husband got the Kindle 2 ...) because it requires the manual syncing. I'll continue to use the KW for the shorter reads as a change of pace. But clearly the K3 and KT will be my main readers. Why 2? There is content on kobobooks and amazon that is either unique to each or priced drastically differently which then feeds one ereader or the other.

Hmmm ... I dallied a bit ... I am not experiencing the ghosting on the KT. (I have it set to "sleep" in 15 min and "shut off" at 45 min; I notice the default was "never" for shut off. Does that make a difference?)
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #15
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I may have a defective reader. This is one of the reasons I am asking for other people's experiences, SP.