Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-26-2007, 02:56 PM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Paper Book to E-Book

I've been able to find most of my paper books in electronic format. However, there is one series of books that eludes me...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0786881887
http://www.amazon.com/Book-TiAna-Myst/dp/0786889209/
http://www.amazon.com/Book-DNi-Myst/dp/078688942X/

I have all 3 books in first edition hardcover. I'd like to get them on my iLiad, but I don't want to destroy my current books. I haven't found any site online that sells them electronically. I have just a plain (old slow crappy hp) flatbed scanner, so scanning isn't an option unless there is an easy way to do so. Also, being 400+ pages would make it a bit of a pain.

I do see that amazon has alread scanned them for their "Amazon Online Reader" part of the site. Is there a way that I could get that into a downloadable format? I'm sure I could use the whole screengrab approach, but I can't view the entire book at this point. If I purchased it (again) through amazon, would I be able to see the entire book? Am I just SOL on finding an easy (and probably legal) way of getting this on my ereader?
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:54 AM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Looked around some e-book stores and couldn't find them (does the publisher, Hyperion, support e-books in general?)... where did you see it available for Amazon's Online Reader?

Since you already own the hardcover books, and if you live in a country where fair use applies, you might want find it "somewhere else"... at least book 1 and book 2 of Myst were OCRed by someone.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2007, 12:14 PM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
You can find the electronic version of the first book here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0786...51#reader-link

However, amazon only allows an account to view 50 or so pages of a single book...
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 08:31 PM   #4
jackbrown
Enthusiast
jackbrown began at the beginning.

As I understand it, when you buy the book on Amazon, they give you the option to pay a bit more (like 20%) to use their electronic copy as well. What's cool about the SITB feature is that it gives you a perfect index for your book, you can search for any word. But I'm not sure its worth paying so much extra for. I buy books from Amazon all the time, and I wouldn't pay more than another dollar or two for this feature(which is why I've never done it).

As far as screengrabbing, the Amazon SITB resolution is kind of low, and since it's anti-aliased already, the screengrabs look really rotten on the iliad. If you do decide to do it, use a macro program to automate the screengrabs...
jackbrown is offline   Reply With Quote