Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-18-2008, 10:00 AM   #16
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Is this something I should know about? Not that I ever ever would.......but............
Yes, I think it is good to know what and how you can do something that's illegal or unethical (by many, at least) so you can recognize it when you see it and avoid it if you choose. In the simplest and most passive way, you can Google titles and authors and find hits that will often lead you to a file that is an ebook which is a copy that has not been authorized by the author and/or publisher - it's a pirated copy. These are usually freely available to anyone who wants to take them and even redistribute (which would be an even more serious error). They don't have a big banner that says "THIS IS A PIRATED EBOOK". If you find a copy of something that's not legally in the public domain and you found it a location that's at all questionable (whether you paid for it or not), my advice to you is to step back and walk away from it and then email the publisher to let them know that you've found it and where. They can probably tell you if it's reputable or not.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:25 PM   #17
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
books

Thanks. As much as I love to read books, I could never steal one, and thats what it sounds like I would be doing. Believe me, I'm no goodie-two shoes, but thats just wrong. I'm afraid if I did that, when I died, my punishment would be either no books to read ever, or a whole roomful........in ancient arabic.........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:06 PM   #18
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Thanks. As much as I love to read books, I could never steal one, and thats what it sounds like I would be doing. Believe me, I'm no goodie-two shoes, but thats just wrong. I'm afraid if I did that, when I died, my punishment would be either no books to read ever, or a whole roomful........in ancient arabic.........
I probably would look at it that way as well, except for the fact that I have always purchased a legal copy as soon as it was made available. In addition, with respect to so many of these books, I also own a physical copy of the book. So, I tend to look at it more as borrowing someone else's stolen copy until the market makes a copy that I may purchase. I don't ask the person how or where they came by their copy ... and I frankly don't care. If the publishers want me to purchase a copy, then they are more than welcome to make a legitimate ebook copy, and then I will purchase it.

That seems fair to me.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:40 PM   #19
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
how you look at it.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I probably would look at it that way as well, except for the fact that I have always purchased a legal copy as soon as it was made available. In addition, with respect to so many of these books, I also own a physical copy of the book. So, I tend to look at it more as borrowing someone else's stolen copy until the market makes a copy that I may purchase. I don't ask the person how or where they came by their copy ... and I frankly don't care. If the publishers want me to purchase a copy, then they are more than welcome to make a legitimate ebook copy, and then I will purchase it.

That seems fair to me.
No judging here RM.......your system sounds fair, but I would probably forget what I bought and didn't buy. I think my brain has leaks........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:50 AM   #20
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
No judging here RM.......your system sounds fair, but I would probably forget what I bought and didn't buy. I think my brain has leaks........
Ah .... a leaky brain ... that's awful. Mine is like a sieve (seive?? -- I absolutely can't spell), which is why I keep a spreadsheet of every movie and book I own, where and when I got it, whether or not I watched/read it and a rating (because given a few days, I probably won't be able to tell you if I liked it or not).

Every once in a while, I go through it and sort the list to show me anything that could possibly be considered pirated. I then go online to see if it is legitimately available. If it is .... I buy, and then I delete the other copy.

It's a system I've used for a long time, so I'm comfortable with it. Others look at those sheets and think I am the most anal retentive person they have ever met. Since I readily agree with that sentiment .... I probably am the most anal retentive person they ever met .... it works for everybody.

RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clouds of enlightenment