Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-26-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
binkman71
Enthusiast
binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505; nook
Red face Why I preordered.

I've had a Sony Reader for a while now. I was longing for an upgrade since my PRS-505 has limited internal memory. Granted, Sony put a card slot on there, but boy is it slow. Any books I load off the slot are brought up at a glacial rate. So this year I have been looking at upgrading, either to a new Sony device, or a competitor's.

So, first and foremost, I had to rule out Sony's new devices. Not because they are Sony, I actually really like my Reader, but because the memory "upgrades" went all the way up to 512MB. Wow. Thanks, Sony. Again, already have more than that on an SD card in my current model, so this isn't much incentive to buy a new Sony.

I looked at Kindle. I don't particularly think the keyboard will get much use, and the fact they decided to hide the battery (Sony does as well, mind you) and remove the expansion SD slot, I figured maybe that isn't much of an upgrade either. Also, the inability to use PDF without further conversion kinda turns me off as well.

So, sure, I could look at all the other "open" models. IRex is nice, but dang, when are they going to lower prices? Some of the other models are interesting, but either they have limited format support (and often no sales of ebooks themselves, just the readers), or are by companies I've never heard of. I resigned myself to basically sticking with the model I have until something came along that seemed like an upgrade and not just a replacement.

Then along came the Nook announcement. 2GB RAM, should be enough for me, but also has the SD slot should I want to utilize it. Replaceable battery, which my Sony doesn't have. 16 shades of gray instead of my Sony's 8. The ability to customize (to an extent, though truthfully not sure I'll use this) both the screen and the player. A smaller "subscreen" that utilizes a color touch screen LCD for menus and other navigation (this is a plus for me). And the backing of a major retail chain.

So, for these reasons and some others, I decided the Nook was a worthy upgrade for me. I wanted to post this if only because since this forum was put up, so many negative posts have been placed. What they got wrong! Why is there still DRM?!? Why can't I lend out my ebooks freely?!? Why doesn't it browse the web?!?

I have to say, I always find it interesting how many people will bash a product that hasn't even been released yet.

Anyway, so far none of the negatives mean much to me. I don't like DRM, but I also realize it took the music industry YEARS to concede that issue, so expecting less of the publishing industry is a bit much. I am not worried much about lending my digital files to people, though I could see why you might want to. But hey, the fact that lending exists at all seems a step in the right direction to me, however limited it might be. And I'm really not worried about my ebook reader being a web browser. Yes, it has wireless built in, and that is mainly used to wirelessly shop. So what? It's a book reader, not a PDA. That's my view anyway.

Yep, I preordered. I'm very much looking forward to my new Nook, which should arrive at the beginning of December I imagine (provided the Nov. 30 date doesn't slip or anything). I like the cover flow option, and while some may dismiss it as a gimick, I hope it will speed up the time it takes for me to get to my content. While I can live with slow page "turns" on e-ink, navigating menus through e-ink can be downright excrutiating on my Sony, particularly with the large number of books I have on it; I imagine part of that speed is also the slow processing of all the titles by the processor.

There you have it. My long worded way of showing the Nook a little appreciation and passing along what, at least for me, is worth looking forward to.

K.
binkman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #2
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I hope you enjoy it and it lives up to your expectations. Although I didn't preorder for the reasons I stated in my post, I do plan to check the device out in my local B&N. The lending doesn't bother me (although I do think B&N needs to put some pressure on publishers to go along; apparently the fault lies with the publishers, not B&N), and like you, I could care less about an internet browser (that's what I have my PC and my laptop for). However, I do plan to also checkout the forthcoming Sony Daily Edition before deciding what to upgrade to.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 03:43 PM   #3
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lots!
Device wise it's great. Nothing to complain about there. Prices are still a problem for me though with some books being marked up almost 150% from the kindle prices and some ebooks are more expensive than pbooks. Even if you don't shop at the BN store you'll find yourself hard pressed to find prices better than the Kindle. Since you've been using the sony though i guess the transition shouldn't be too hard since you didn't benefit from kindle's low prices. I'm still waiting for them to lower prices before I commit to the nook or kindle. We'll see.
juj1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
I also preordered mine, to replace my 505, but not for the same reasons as you, which I find interesting.
When I bought my reader I did so for the screen, and the screen alone. It meant losing access to the many eReader-formatted books I already had, and it meant losing access to a reader with built-in hilighting, note-taking and dictionary lookup. I didn't want to switch to a Kindle when those came out because it meant investing in yet another ebook format. When the 700 (and later the 600) came out I contemplated upgrading for those features I sorely miss, hilighting and note-taking, but I just won't compromise on screen clarity.
The moment I saw the nook it made perfect sense. It read books I already owned, it solved the problems I had with the 505 and didn't compromise on anything.
It's inherently risky to pre-order anything, especially when it's the first edition of the device. I don't expect the nook to be perfect, I don't even expect it to have everything I want right away, but as of right now it has what matters most to me, which I can't say about my 505 or any other device currently available.
The internet is full of people who will immediately jump on a bandwagon and just as many people who will immediately criticize said bandwagon and those on it. Frankly, I think both camps are foolish. None of us have used this device, nor seen it in person. None of us are qualified to say "this is the greatest thing ever" nor "this sucks beyond anything ever."
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
if the Kindle did not exist,, I would have ordered as soon as it was announced. I SERIOUSLY considered getting one as a secondary, but the misleading advertising has turned me very off of getting one now.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 04:15 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Congratulations on your purchase binkman71! Please lets us know how you like you new nook when it arrives.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:30 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkman71 View Post
I wanted to post this if only because since this forum was put up, so many negative posts have been placed. What they got wrong! Why is there still DRM?!? Why can't I lend out my ebooks freely?!? Why doesn't it browse the web?!?

I have to say, I always find it interesting how many people will bash a product that hasn't even been released yet.

K.
binkman71, I hope you love your Nook as much as i do my K1.

The thing to realize is that you aren't buying it "blind". You already know what to expect, and not to expect, thanks to all the posts, both good and bad.

The cons were all legitimate, and thats what mobileread is all about. Pointing out the strengths AND flaws of the different devices.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:36 PM   #8
binkman71
Enthusiast
binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505; nook
Desertgrandma:

Understood. And I've gone through similar forums for other products that also aren't out yet. It is easy to filter out the "fanboys" that will bash anything that isn't their product of choice, but I just get put back a bit by the number of people who just seem to focus on the negative, for no real reason. "I'm not buying it because...!" Well, were you even in the market to buy a new device? Would you actually buy it if they changed x, y, or z?

I respect that others have different opinions, and that's perfectly fine. I'm not questioning that. I just felt like the forum was going a little too negative, and decide to chime in by stealing rhadin's post and reversing it's theme. And at least rhadin's post STARTED out with actual information about return policy and club member discounts and such...

K.
binkman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:46 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkman71 View Post
Desertgrandma:

Understood. And I've gone through similar forums for other products that also aren't out yet. It is easy to filter out the "fanboys" that will bash anything that isn't their product of choice, but I just get put back a bit by the number of people who just seem to focus on the negative, for no real reason. "I'm not buying it because...!" Well, were you even in the market to buy a new device? Would you actually buy it if they changed x, y, or z?

I respect that others have different opinions, and that's perfectly fine. I'm not questioning that. I just felt like the forum was going a little too negative, and decide to chime in by stealing rhadin's post and reversing it's theme. And at least rhadin's post STARTED out with actual information about return policy and club member discounts and such...

K.
You make good points. I truly feel there is no perfect device on the market......but we choose what works for us. Lots of people still feel Amazon and the Kindle are the devil incarnate, but you'd have to pry my K1 out of my cold dead hands. And.....no way would I ever trade up to a K2. But thats just me.

Opinions hold no water...anyone can have an opinion. The facts are what I was referring to. People need to be aware of what they are spending their money on.

Yes, there is a lot of "nook" bashing, but I don't think its related to the device itself, (which I think is prettier than mine) its the way its being marketed, and the difficulty of getting answers.

I truly hope we're proven wrong in our negativity. That wouldn't be so bad!
Old 10-27-2009, 01:31 AM   #10
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
I agree with Grandma, cuz she's always right. No, wait. Cuz she always writes. Well, be my humor as it may, you (Binkman) make very valid points FOR pre-ordering, just as many have made good points for standing back until we have more information. I don't think anyone came out and said it shouldn't be purchased because "xxxxx", just gave reasons why it wasn't pre-ordered.

I personally have been very impressed with all the info and opinions given -- even those who may have based their opinions on mis-information or misunderstood information. ALL of it is thought-prevoking, and even when incorrect or off-target it gives someone a chance to respond with corrections or a different view that clears the air a little -- or muddies the water, even.

Normally, brainstorming is just quickly listing everything you can think of -- good or bad -- to get it all down before you start throwing out the really outlandish stuff. But even the outlandish stuff helps trigger "good" information. In this forum, we just happen to get opinions mixed in with the brainstorming.

While it is refreshing to have a more positive-themed thread, but I agree with Grandma that a lot of the nay-saying is more about the BN presentation (misleading info, or even an apparent refusal to clarify) than it is about features, or lack there-of.

There are still many questions to be answered -- one for me is whether the Nook will work with Overdrive (Library ebooks). I discount (pun intended) the importance of ebook prices since I will spend a lot of time seeking out PD and $3 max publications long before I turn to actually purchasing an ebook for the price of, or more than, a tree book. Hopefully by that time the publishers will have come to their senses on ebook pricing.

So. Will the DRM for the Nook be referred to as the "Nook Key"? Sorry. Figured maybe it would be safe to insert here, cuz anyone reading this would be asleep by now.

Last edited by eGeezer; 10-27-2009 at 01:39 AM.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:52 AM   #11
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
Figured maybe it would be safe to insert here, cuz anyone reading this would be asleep by now.
nope! busted! but then again, we are in the same neck of the woods, and could probably wave at each other from opposite sides of the water!
Old 10-27-2009, 06:07 PM   #12
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
nope! busted! but then again, we are in the same neck of the woods, and could probably wave at each other from opposite sides of the water!
Actually, I meant reading my post would put you all to sleep, but I see that didn't happen, either.

Of course, living over on the Peninsula with all those wild animals outside the door (not to mention the vampires from Forks), you probably don't get much sleep like we do in the Big City with only prostitution, drug deals and drunken shootouts mere blocks from our door with 3 deadbolts and an alarm system activated 24/7.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:13 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
I agree with Grandma, cuz she's always right. No, wait. Cuz she always writes.
OI! I heard that!!
Old 10-27-2009, 09:04 PM   #14
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Actually, I meant reading my post would put you all to sleep, but I see that didn't happen, either.

Of course, living over on the Peninsula with all those wild animals outside the door (not to mention the vampires from Forks), you probably don't get much sleep like we do in the Big City with only prostitution, drug deals and drunken shootouts mere blocks from our door with 3 deadbolts and an alarm system activated 24/7.
just me and the coyotes! and far enough away from the insanity that used to be Forks!
Old 10-27-2009, 09:23 PM   #15
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Unfortunately I am too heavily invested in DRMed Kindle material to jump ship just yet, but the Nook looks great (despite the 1 time share rule which was disappointing).

I love the look of the hardware, I like B&N so I'll be watching mobileread feedback on it very closely. If the nook did have the ability to lend my book out to multiple friends in 2 week periods like I can with a paper book (not just a one time occurrence), I would have been sold immediately.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote