Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-11-2008, 01:57 PM   #1
kurt_da_nerd
kurt_da_nerd began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Registering Reader to Another User

I have "inherited" my in-laws Sony Reader PRS-505. I installed the suplied software to get the Sony eBook library onto my personal computer. However when I go to upload a book to the reader I get a Warning message that says: "This eBook cannot be transferred because the reader is authorized to another user"

Does anyone know how I can authorize the reader to myself so I can upload my own books and not be stuck with my Mother-In Laws Romances?

Thanks

Kurt
kurt_da_nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt_da_nerd View Post
Does anyone know how I can authorize the reader to myself so I can upload my own books and not be stuck with my Mother-In Laws Romances?
The easiest way is to have your inlaws de-authorize the device from their account.... this needs to be done by hooking the device to the PC, logging into their eBook account and removing the device from the device page under the my account section.

The hard way is to call Sony and they can do it for you.

Once the above is done you can authorize it to your Sony account.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Currently I have the maximum devices installed is there anyway to de-authorize them without having to phone sony?.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:47 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Currently I have the maximum devices installed is there anyway to de-authorize them without having to phone sony?.
by hooking the device to the PC, logging into their eBook account and removing the device from the device page under the my account section.

If you don't have the device, I don't think you can do it..... yep... I just tried it. The deauthorize link is only available for the computer I'm on. It only shows up for the device if it is connected. So, in this case you will have to call Sony.

BOb
Old 09-26-2008, 02:55 PM   #5
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But as I'm not from the US I can't purchase any books from Sony anymore, would love to get Arthur C Clarke's short stories from Sony
Advert
Old 09-26-2008, 03:02 PM   #6
Gibbo
Guru

Can I create another account on another PC?
Old 09-26-2008, 03:11 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Can I create another account on another PC?
Sure... but you will not be able to access ebooks from a previous account.

I don't understand... if you can't buy books from Sony... did you ever? Why do you have them authorized... and what even does it matter?

What are you trying to do? Perhaps you are asking the wrong question.

BOb
Old 09-26-2008, 03:23 PM   #8
Gibbo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Sure... but you will not be able to access ebooks from a previous account.

I don't understand... if you can't buy books from Sony... did you ever? Why do you have them authorized... and what even does it matter?

What are you trying to do? Perhaps you are asking the wrong question.

BOb
Leaping Gnome used to get me some Sony gift cards when I bought the 500 but since I bought the Cybook the 500 took second place (actually it's been in the cupboard ever since) but now I would like to purchase the Arthur C Clarke's short stories and looks like only Sony ebook store has them all.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:30 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Leaping Gnome used to get me some Sony gift cards when I bought the 500 but since I bought the Cybook the 500 took second place (actually it's been in the cupboard ever since) but now I would like to purchase the Arthur C Clarke's short stories and looks like only Sony ebook store has them all.
I see... so if your 500 is already registered to your Sony account why do you need to remove it?

BOb
Old 09-26-2008, 03:33 PM   #10
Gibbo
Guru

I can't buy them because I've already registered the maximum number of devices and can't access the shop.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:36 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I can't buy them because I've already registered the maximum number of devices and can't access the shop.
Ok... I still am confused. Is the 500 in your closet NOT registered to your Sony account? Having 6 devices registered shouldn't keep you out of the Sony store... just keep you from adding more devices.

Or is the problem that your current PC is not registered?

Do you not have access to any of the 6 devices that are registered?

BOb
Old 09-26-2008, 03:44 PM   #12
Gibbo
Guru

When I try to access my account I get the following message:

Your eBook Store account allows you to authorize/register a maximum of six devices (PC or portable Reader device) for download of eBooks. You have already reached this limit and therefore cannot use this PC to purchase or download.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:45 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
So the PC isn't registered then.

What PC were you using before that was registered? Can you deregister it?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:50 PM   #14
Gibbo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
So the PC isn't registered then.

What PC were you using before that was registered? Can you deregister it?
I've always used my desktop with the 500 but what has happened was that after successive reformat's I didn't de-registered the PC and kept adding the reader to the PC until I reached the maximum devices registered.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:14 PM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
No help for it, then, you'll have to call them and ask them to de-register the PC's.

I don't think they ask where you're calling from ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
authorize, prs-505, reader, sony, warning