Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-13-2014, 01:18 AM   #1
PieCh0Ee0nah
PieCh0Ee0nah began at the beginning.

Device: none
Any non-touch e-book readers?

I have an aging Sony PRS-505 and one of the main reasons I have not upgraded is that I like the buttons and the fact they keep my greasy fingers off the screen. Are there any current e-book readers that are not touch based, or have decent buttons for page flipping? One thing I really love about the 505 is that the PRS+ enhancements give me 3 different buttons that can turn the page which is great for holding it in a variety of positions.

My list of absolute requirements are pretty slim: Calibre and EPUB compatible, an e-ink screen, and buttons to flip pages.
PieCh0Ee0nah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:02 AM   #2
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
There are a few with both touch and buttons. Bookeens readers http://www.bookeen.com/en/cybook Sony's T-line (doesn't have frontlight), Pocketbook http://www.pocketbook-int.com/us Onyx boox readers https://onyx-boox.com/ So there are a few to choose from. The fact is though that as long as you have dry hands you really don't see that much fingerprints on a touch screen.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2014, 04:36 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
The fact is though that as long as you have dry hands you really don't see that much fingerprints on a touch screen.
Agreed. I have quite greasy skin, but, unlike my iPhone and iPad (which are fingerprint magnets), fingerprints just don't show up at all on the matte surface of an eInk device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:57 AM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Amazon's entry level kindle is a non-touch. However since the sony readers are the ones that you know, and you have built up a level of comfortability with I would think that it would make sense to buy a newer Sony. I am not familiar with sony's current offerings but I would be suprised if sony did not offer any entry level no touch reader.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:09 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sony don't make any non-touch readers.
Advert
Old 01-13-2014, 11:48 AM   #6
PieCh0Ee0nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Agreed. I have quite greasy skin, but, unlike my iPhone and iPad (which are fingerprint magnets), fingerprints just don't show up at all on the matte surface of an eInk device.
Very interesting and good to know. I based most of my fingerprint worry on my tablet and phone so I thought they would severely interfere with a nice long reading session.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:51 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieCh0Ee0nah View Post
Very interesting and good to know. I based most of my fingerprint worry on my tablet and phone so I thought they would severely interfere with a nice long reading session.
No, it's totally different. Although I must say that even on my iPad, which looks a complete mess when it's turned off - looks like a mirror covered in fingerprints - they're completely invisible when the device is actually in use. Do you find that you can actually see the fingerprints when using it?
Old 01-13-2014, 11:54 AM   #8
PieCh0Ee0nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
There are a few with both touch and buttons. Bookeens readers http://www.bookeen.com/en/cybook Sony's T-line (doesn't have frontlight), Pocketbook http://www.pocketbook-int.com/us Onyx boox readers https://onyx-boox.com/ So there are a few to choose from. The fact is though that as long as you have dry hands you really don't see that much fingerprints on a touch screen.
Thanks for the pointers, I'll review those carefully. I don't currently have a frontlight so I probably don't know what I'm missing.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:59 PM   #9
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Of course, Barnes and Noble is still selling the original Simple Touch. It has buttons, plus expandable memory. No problem side-loading books.

I like mine so much I bought a spare. They're currently going for $59. I've used mine every day for two years and it's still going strong.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:31 PM   #10
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
The newer Sonys are touch-enabled, but still have page turn buttons. The newest model, the T3 isn't available in the US, so depending on where you are that might or might not be an option--and unfortunately PRS+ won't work on it either. I think the last Sony models that you can use PRS+ on are the 350/650/950s.

I agree with the others though--fingerprints aren't a problem on the e-ink touch screens. I don't notice them on my Kindle PW2 or on my Sony 350/650s. I have to admit I would prefer an option for page turn buttons, but I like the touch interface for accessing menus, dictionary lookup, etc. If I had to choose (which I did) between page turn buttons on a non-touch interface and no page turn buttons with a touch screen, the touch screen would definitely win out.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:12 PM   #11
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I would also point out that most touch readers (I believe with the exception of the current Kindle Paperwhite) use an IR technology that is very stylus friendly so you can use the touch functions without using your fingers.

That being said, a ziplock bag is no longer the best protection for them in the bath.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:13 PM   #12
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I am constantly cleaning fingerprints off my iPad, but I don't have that problem with any e-ink reader I've had. The e-ink screens don't seem to attract smudges like tablets do. I don't know why.

And touch is a big deal for looking up words in the dictionary. It is SO easy to just touch the word to look it up.

The Nook Simple Touch is really cheap and a nice e-reader. It has a touch screen AND buttons and has an SD slot. If you're looking for something cost effective, I would at least look in that direction.

I know I'm repeating others - but I wanted to add my voice to the chorus.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:27 AM   #13
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Gee that's interesting harry. I thought that everyone made non touch readers.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:31 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Gee that's interesting harry. I thought that everyone made non touch readers.
I believe I'm right in saying that neither B&N nor Kobo make non-touch readers, either.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:18 AM   #15
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I would also point out that most touch readers (I believe with the exception of the current Kindle Paperwhite) use an IR technology that is very stylus friendly so you can use the touch functions without using your fingers.
Not quite, the two very latest ereaders from Kobo & Amazon (Aura & PW) both use capacitive touch screen. They've moved on from the infra-red their older touch screen models use (Kobo Glo/Touch & Kindle Touch) while the limited Aura HD still uses infra-red too. Nook didn't follow them with their updated Glowlight, but it'll be interesting to see if it leads to everyone else following suit in future.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote