Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: E-reader with or without DRM?
I want to be able to read anything that's available as e-book (including DRM content) 62 51.67%
DRM? That's Down-Right Maddening. PG & non-DRM publishers are my sanctuary 58 48.33%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2007, 07:53 PM   #46
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Except that it's not: You can sell to a used bookstore, and that's considered legal. They can resell the book, and that's considered legal. And based on some statutes of law, giving your copy to a friend is not always illegal, unless you transact money for it (it's your method of obtaining the copy that may be considered illegal)...

Clearly, the law is vague concerning paper book sales. No wonder no one has yet been able to work out a viable series of laws for e-books! And until they do, I'd rather avoid buying (and selling) DRM e-books whenever I can.
What's vague?

When you buy a paper book, you've bought the physical media. You are welcome to do with that copy as you please: hold on to it, sell it to a used book store, sell or give it to a friend...

What you may not do (except under certain restricted circumstances) is make another physical copy of the book, or an electronic copy of the content of the book. You bought the physical media, and the right to use or pass on that copy. You did not buy the content, or the right to copy and distribute that content.

For practical purposes, one person can have and read a paper book at a time. If more than one person wants to read the book, they have to get their own copies.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:11 PM   #47
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
I think the best way to support non-DRM is to support the authors and publishers who don't use it. Let the non-DRM publisher's balance sheets speak to the DRM-based publishers. But that's just me and YMMV. And it doesn't mean that I won't buy DRM, just that the non-DRM winds up getting more money from me.
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2007, 01:38 AM   #48
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
PGP security and digital signatures for DRMed content

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingVulcan View Post
I think the best way to support non-DRM is to support the authors and publishers who don't use it. Let the non-DRM publisher's balance sheets speak to the DRM-based publishers. But that's just me and YMMV. And it doesn't mean that I won't buy DRM, just that the non-DRM winds up getting more money from me.
I think it is just fine if the reader I choose to buy supports DRMed content as long as it supports the non-DRMed formats I need. The only DRMed content I have purchased has been with my US$50 Connect store credit. I do not and will not pay real money for DRMed content. But that is purely my choice and my reasons may not be your reasons.

When DRM is conceived with public/private key encryption such that I can decrypt my content in perpetuity, and the decryption of that content benefits the author directly, I will buy DRMed content. It has been posted here that any such DRM scheme is doomed to failure. I think that is a failure of the imagination. See PGP security.

1/ Would you post a purchased book on a p2p network if it contained a digital signature that pointed back to you?
2/ If you could download a free reader for any device that was keyed to your digital signature, would you buy DRMed content for it, providing that your content could be displayed on any and all of your reading devices forever?
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 12:33 AM   #49
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
1/ Would you post a purchased book on a p2p network if it contained a digital signature that pointed back to you?
I wouldn't post it on a P2P network, regardless of whether the signature pointed to me.

Quote:
2/ If you could download a free reader for any device that was keyed to your digital signature, would you buy DRMed content for it, providing that your content could be displayed on any and all of your reading devices forever?
Possibly. My big wish is to download content once, and read it on whatever device I happen to have. So I'm strongly in favor of a standard format every reader can support. If a standard DRM that will work on any reader on any device can be implemented, I can probably live with DRM.

Meanwhile, I don't buy DRMed ebooks, and have no plans to start. If the only ebook format is DRMed, I'll buy the paper book. For me, ebooks are a additional format for reading, not a replacement for paper books.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 09-15-2007 at 02:12 AM.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:57 AM   #50
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
You are lucky. Where I live English pbooks are an expensive luxury and are very hard to find. But I am studying Chinese and, in time, may be able to read local fiction. Though I visit the west every year, pbooks are just too heavy to bring back.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2007, 02:22 AM   #51
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
You are lucky. Where I live English pbooks are an expensive luxury and are very hard to find. But I am studying Chinese and, in time, may be able to read local fiction. Though I visit the west every year, pbooks are just too heavy to bring back.
Yes, I suppose I am. I have a good sized book store a couple of blocks from me, a huge one within walking distance, and another huge in walking distance one specializing in closeouts, review copies, and used books that advertises "8 miles of books" and isn't exaggerating.

I love ebooks, but as I said, they are an additional format, not a replacement for paper.
______
Dennis
Old 02-08-2009, 09:34 AM   #52
d2spillers
d2spillers began at the beginning.

Device: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
It annoys me that I have to "sign a contract" in order to read a book!
While I agree somewhat with what you say, I can understand their point of view as well. They work hard to put out a book, and have someone to buy it and then give it away to everybody and their brother gets old fast. They lose alot of money.

While DRM is a pain in the neck, I try to stay away from Mobipocket. That way I can always access my other books.

Fictionwise's problem Did not really effect me. The mobipockets were replaced with eReader, and I kept all of my ms readers. They still work, you just can not redownload them anymore.

Out of 355 eBooks Only 125 books were effected. 99 have been replaced with eReader (which I detest), while the other 26 MS Readers are still on hold.

I am always trying new formats.

Ms Reader and MobiPocket are the ones that I use the most.
d2spillers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:50 AM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2spillers View Post
Out of 355 eBooks Only 125 books were effected. 99 have been replaced with eReader (which I detest), while the other 26 MS Readers are still on hold.
You were unlucky; I only had 3 books out of 250 affected; 2 Mobi, 1 Lit.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:25 PM   #54
gingercat
Connoisseur
gingercat began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iliad
the bottom line is: why can you lend a dead tree book to as many people you like yet you don't have the same ability with ebooks. You should have the same rights of usage for ebooks as dead tree books.
gingercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:27 PM   #55
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercat View Post
the bottom line is: why can you lend a dead tree book to as many people you like yet you don't have the same ability with ebooks. You should have the same rights of usage for ebooks as dead tree books.
Because when you lend a book you are NOT copying it. When you "lend" an ebook you must copy it... and you don't have the COPYRIGHT. (There's that word again.)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote