Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
aardbewoner
Grumpy
aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: linux computers ,raspberry
Removing old formats after conversion

Hello,
I wonder if there is a good way to delette the old formats in calibre,as i convert all books to epub. Delette after check if conversion dit go ok
Must be a noob can`t find anything over this
aardbewoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardbewoner View Post
Hello,
I wonder if there is a good way to delette the old formats in calibre,as i convert all books to epub. Delette after check if conversion dit go ok
Must be a noob can`t find anything over this
Whether it's a good idea to remove source formats is up to you, but here is how you do it:

Search for: "formats:epub and formats:#>1" (without the quotes). This finds all books that have epubs *and* other formats. Select them and right-click. Remove books -> Remove all formats from selected books, except... -> select epub. Click 'OK'

Done.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Alternate method. Highlight the books you wish to remove a format from, click edit metadata, use the remove formats drop down selection and select the the format you wish to remove and click OK.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
aardbewoner
Grumpy
aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: linux computers ,raspberry
aardbewoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
GeorgeH
Addict
GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nexus 7
One more method: Highlight the book entries, right click on them, select 'Remove books', then 'Remove files of a specific format from selected books..'' and then select the format(s) you wish to delete.
GeorgeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
highstream
Enthusiast
highstream began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm new to calibre came across this thread during a search for "remove." I found this last suggestion by GeorgeH didn't work for me. That is, after converting a book from epub to mobi and then sending the latter to my Kindle, I wanted to remove the epub version from my Win 7 ebooks folder and get rid of the listing in Calibre's interface. I haven't figured out the latter yet - any ideas? - but after selecting Remove and choosing the epub format version, the file is still in the Windows folder. What am I missing (on both scores)? Thanks,
highstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by highstream View Post
I wanted to remove the epub version from my Win 7 ebooks folder and get rid of the listing in Calibre's interface. I haven't figured out the latter yet - any ideas? - but after selecting Remove and choosing the epub format version, the file is still in the Windows folder. What am I missing (on both scores)? Thanks,
Following GeorgeH's advice will remove the ePub from calibre's library and calibre's interface. If your Win 7 ebooks folder is not calibre's library folder then you have to use windows to delete books in that folder. calibre will only delete files in its own library folder.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you are going to be deleting old formats, you'd be deleting the Mobipocket and keeping the ePub.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
highstream
Enthusiast

What I keep looking for and wish was there is being able to delete the entry from the UI without touching the files themselves. I'm not clear why the two necessarily have to be connected. The only way to do so that I've figured out is to delete the file from the UI and then restore it from Windows Trash.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
What I keep looking for and wish was there is being able to delete the entry from the UI without touching the files themselves. I'm not clear why the two necessarily have to be connected. The only way to do so that I've figured out is to delete the file from the UI and then restore it from Windows Trash.
there are at least 2 ways to delete a single format from the UI
1 is select any format inside the metadata editor, and click the recycle icon/tap 'Delete'

Or right click the title's (line) in the main GUI, and select One of the ALTERNATE choices in the Remove Books menu
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #11
highstream
Enthusiast

With regards to what shows in the Library view (UI), what I'm trying to work around is having endless list showing in the UI. I don't really need to delete any formats, just what shows (though the epub delete I tried didn't delete the file from Windows). The way I see it, as long as the right format file is in Windows, Add books allows me to bring anything back into the Library UI that I need to work with, such as for collections in Kindle.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
With regards to what shows in the Library view (UI), what I'm trying to work around is having endless list showing in the UI. I don't really need to delete any formats, just what shows (though the epub delete I tried didn't delete the file from Windows). The way I see it, as long as the right format file is in Windows, Add books allows me to bring anything back into the Library UI that I need to work with, such as for collections in Kindle.
Make a Filter:
formats:true
All that will show when the filter is in effect is entries WITH actual books (any format) inside Calibre

And Remove Books Deletes Only books INSIDE Calibres Library (and that works if the file system user rights have not been messed with)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:34 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
This makes me think that you want to put the book into calibre only long enough to convert it to the desired format. After that, you want to manually manage your library without using calibre. Is that right?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:27 AM   #14
highstream
Enthusiast

Yes, that's been my idea so far, since it's so easy to convert and I'm dealing with different kinds of files from a variety of sources. I mean no offense to calibre's developer(s); I'm just more focused on using what's on my Kindle and adjusting that as need be than developing a calibre library or learning its command line structure, which for me will rarely be worth the return (there's always the public library and I like reading and listening to books).

Last edited by highstream; 07-27-2012 at 02:57 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:24 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Yes, that's been my idea so far, since it's so easy to convert and I'm dealing with different kinds of files from a variety of sources. I mean no offense to calibre's developer(s); I'm just more focused on using what's on my Kindle and adjusting that as need be than developing a calibre library or learning its command line structure, which for me will rarely be worth the return (there's always the public library and I like reading and listening to books).
Oh goody, I was right for once

If that is how you want to handle things, then that's fine. I personally think that using calibre is easier in the long term than any alternatives I have seen.

For what you want to do, after the conversion, do a "Save to disk". This will copy the new ebook to wherever you want it. There are a few choices on the menu and some preferences about exactly what to save (cover as a separate file, updating the metadata during the save), so have a play to get exactly what you want. Once you have done the save, you can delete the book from the calibre library. This will remove all evidence of the book and formats from within calibre.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote