Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
Roadbug
Bookworm
Roadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Original Kobo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Clara HD
Bug with calibre converted epubs

I sideload all my ebooks to my Kobo Glo using calibre. Until recently, epubs converted with calibre (that is, having a .epub extension) appeared as EPUB in the books list. Only ebooks downloaded from Kobo bookstore appeared as KOBO EPUB in that list.

Recently, epubs converted using calibre and sideload into my Glo started appearing as KOBO EPUB -- I checked the files in the Kobo Reader and noticed that .epub files sideloaded with calibre now have a .kepub.epub extension. Older books, sideload some time ago (before calibre v. 1.16.0) still appear as EPUB (that is, have a .epub extension).

I am not sure what is causing this: the new calibre (v. 1.16.0) or the latest firmware upgrade (from 3.1.0 to 3.1.1 -- I had to connected to my wireless network and this upgrade sneaked in).

I would not bother you guys with this problem, but these .kepub.epub files do not open properly when you are reopening a book that was previously open. The reader freezes, showing only the title of the book on the top of the screen and the chapter/page number at the bottom of the screen. I have to switch the reader off and on and to mark the book as unread if I want to open it again. If I only put the reader to sleep, pages turn properly.

I am not sure if this is related to calibre v. 1.16.0 or to the new firmware. Is calibre sideloading my .epub files as .kepub.epub? Is there a way of avoiding this behavior? Or is the problem related to the new firmware version (3.1.1)?

What would happen if I manually delete the .kepub.epub file from the Kobo directory and replace it with the .epub file from the calibre library? The Kobo database will understand that?

Thank you a lot.
Roadbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
It sounds like you have the "KoboTouchExtended" plugin installed and enabled. That will only send kepubs to your reader, that's the main purpose of the plugin.

To get epubs again, you'll have to disable that plugin, and then enable the standard "KoboTouch" plugin that's included with Calibre.

I have 1.16.0 installed and just tried transferring books and they're still epubs using the standard KoboTouch plugin that's installed.

Edit: I should add I'm using 2.4.0 firmware, but I don't think the newest reader firmware changes how the plugin behaves when sending books to the reader.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadbug View Post
What would happen if I manually delete the .kepub.epub file from the Kobo directory and replace it with the .epub file from the calibre library? The Kobo database will understand that?
Kobo Epub (kepub) books are stored in quite a different way to standard epubs in the database.

Once you have disabled the KoboTouchExtended driver in Calibre, I would delete the Kobo Epub books using the "Remove" function on the Glo (long press on the book, select remove from the popup menu) to ensure the database is properly cleaned up. Then transfer the books from Calibre again using the standard KoboTouch driver.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
Roadbug
Bookworm
Roadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
It sounds like you have the "KoboTouchExtended" plugin installed and enabled. That will only send kepubs to your reader, that's the main purpose of the plugin.

To get epubs again, you'll have to disable that plugin, and then enable the standard "KoboTouch" plugin that's included with Calibre.

I have 1.16.0 installed and just tried transferring books and they're still epubs using the standard KoboTouch plugin that's installed.

Edit: I should add I'm using 2.4.0 firmware, but I don't think the newest reader firmware changes how the plugin behaves when sending books to the reader.
Thanks a lot. Yes, I had that plugin installed -- I did not know that it was responsible for the conversion to .kepub.epub when sideloading?

Last question: after I disable the KoboTouchExtended plugin, how to I enable the standard KoboTouch plugin included with Calibre?
Old 12-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #5
Roadbug
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Kobo Epub (kepub) books are stored in quite a different way to standard epubs in the database.

Once you have disabled the KoboTouchExtended driver in Calibre, I would delete the Kobo Epub books using the "Remove" function on the Glo (long press on the book, select remove from the popup menu) to ensure the database is properly cleaned up. Then transfer the books from Calibre again using the standard KoboTouch driver.
Thanks for the tip, will do it.
Advert
Old 12-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadbug View Post
Thanks a lot. Yes, I had that plugin installed -- I did not know that it was responsible for the conversion to .kepub.epub when sideloading?

Last question: after I disable the KoboTouchExtended plugin, how to I enable the standard KoboTouch plugin included with Calibre?
Yes, it will convert to kepub always when sending to your device.

Just highlight the KoboTouch plugin and at the bottom, click on Enable/Disable. It's the same way you disabled the KoboTouchExtended plugin. Then you might check the Customize plugin options to be sure everything as is as you want it.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You don't even need uninstalling/disabling Extended driver.

If you don't want your epubs automatically "kepubized" when being sent to your Glo, just untick "Enable kobo advanced features" (or something like that) insisde the plugin options in Calibre.
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:37 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The extended driver does a couple of things that unchecking "Enable kobo advanced features". The last option on the configuration dialog is one of them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #9
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The extended driver does a couple of things that unchecking "Enable kobo advanced features". The last option on the configuration dialog is one of them.

Please, check your grammar (and I'll check my English courses too, just in case). Do you really understand what you've written?

Just for the sake of learning. Did you want to say that the "Enable kobo advanced features" option does some other things in addition to enabling automatic "kepubization" of uploaded epubs? In this case, which are those extra things?

Or, on the other hand, did you want to say that the Extended driver does other things in addition to "kepubization", when using its other available options, like the last one about "Full book page numbers"? (I think this option is what you really wanted to say but I'm not sure).

I've often wondered why "full book page numbers" is inside jgoguen's plugin. I mean it seems more naturally suited for your own Kobo Utilities plugin, as it's not something that should be "updated", "reset" or "synchronized" on every device connection to Calibre...

Merry Christmas

Last edited by arspr; 12-24-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #10
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post

Is the standard KoboTouch driver something we do not need to install? KoboTouchExtended and kePub Output are the only installable plugins I can find. I'm using Calibre 1.16.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The "full book page numbers" is ONLY applicable to kepubs; David's driver handles EPUBS.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #12
arspr
Dead account. Bye

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
Is the standard KoboTouch driver something we do not need to install? KoboTouchExtended and kePub Output are the only installable plugins I can find. I'm using Calibre 1.16.
KoboTouch driver comes included inside Calibre default installation.

KoboTouchExtended driver is an enhanced version which allows more features, like epub "kepubization" on the fly, and it is intended as a replacement for the original default version.

Last edited by arspr; 12-24-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #13
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
@arspr: For the option davidfor noted, that only handles the "kepubification". The other options will still be applied, but if the extra features option is chosen an ePub will be uploaded instead of a KePub.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #14
arspr
Dead account. Bye

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
@arspr: For the option davidfor noted, that only handles the "kepubification". The other options will still be applied, but if the extra features option is chosen an ePub will be uploaded instead of a KePub.
Thanks jgoguen. That's what I supposed and what I seemed to notice while playing with your driver.

And again: I suppose you really wanted to say unchosen/unticked/disabled, not chosen/ticked/enabled, didn't you?

(Too fast typing... )
Old 12-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by arspr View Post

Please, check your grammar (and I'll check my English courses too, just in case). Do you really understand what you've written?
I usually reread before I post, but missed that. And as others have said you have it right.
Quote:
Just for the sake of learning. Did you want to say that the "Enable kobo advanced features" option does some other things in addition to enabling automatic "kepubization" of uploaded epubs? In this case, which are those extra things?

Or, on the other hand, did you want to say that the Extended driver does other things in addition to "kepubization", when using its other available options, like the last one about "Full book page numbers"? (I think this option is what you really wanted to say but I'm not sure).

I've often wondered why "full book page numbers" is inside jgoguen's plugin. I mean it seems more naturally suited for your own Kobo Utilities plugin, as it's not something that should be "updated", "reset" or "synchronized" on every device connection to Calibre...
Maintaining the configuration file I something I have planned. It will probably be a dialog with all the known options. Plus a way to view/edit it.
Quote:

Merry Christmas

And to you as we'll.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, converted epubs, glo