Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-14-2012, 02:58 AM   #1
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Sony PRS-T2H

Got an email from Sony today announcing their PRS-T2H ($179 AUD)

http://www.sony.com.au/product/prs-t...il:readernov12

This slim and light Reader with touch screen puts thousands of your favourite stories at your fingertips. Effortlessly turn the page with a swipe of your finger and the glare-free screen reads just like a real book, even under direct sunlight.

6" E-Ink® Pearl is designed to feel like a real book with a glare-free paper-like screen for reading

Battery life of up to 2 months with wireless off and up to 1.5 months with wireless on. Up to 30,000 continuous page turns when reading only

Let your friends and family know what you are reading and share excerpts up to 140 characters with Facebook® built into the Reader™

Store posts, articles, and text-based webpages all in your Reader™ with Evernote’s integrated services

Access public library eBooks and PDF files through the integrated OverDrive® service

eBook purchases will need to be completed via computer

E-Ink Pearl described as:
The crystal clear paper-like display reads just like a real book - even in direct sunlight. The screen has no backlight so it does not fatigue the eyes. It also features adjustable font sizes plus adjustable contrast and brightness to suit your personal reading preferences.

(I did a search on this model prior to starting this thread but couldn't find anything. Ooops if there's already a thread and this is old news.)

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 11-14-2012 at 03:01 AM.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:01 AM   #2
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The reason I don't use my Sony 650 is because I find e-ink too flat - that is I need some sort of lit under surface for my eyes. So I use my BB Playbook.

If I can find one of the T2H in the shops I'll check out what this Pearl is like.

Anyone else any experience with the e-ink Pearl screen?
Old 11-14-2012, 03:12 AM   #3
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Okay, so I might need to apologise re starting this thread - didn't realise that the T2H was the same as the T2.

Yep ..... seems I got somewhat over excited!!
Old 11-14-2012, 05:06 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Anyone else any experience with the e-ink Pearl screen?
Pretty much every mainstream reader released in the last two years has used the eInk Pearl screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:48 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
The screen on my wife's T2 looks much the same as the screen on my T1, and the screen on the 650 she inherited from me. It looks fine to me.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:22 AM   #6
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Thanks Alex for that info.

Appreciate not everyone has probs with reading on e-ink screens, but unfortunately I do. They're just not bright enough for my eyes, and if I use lights (including the one that comes with the Sony jacket) I just get glare.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:30 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you considered a reader with a built-in light? I have a Kindle Paperwhite and find it to be excellent.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:48 AM   #8
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Harry when you say built in light do you mean back lighting like say on a tablet?

That's why I use the Playbook to read because it's not a flat screen colour.

Does that make sense?

I'll look out for a Kindle Paperwhite next time I'm out and about in various department stores. Thanks!!
Old 11-15-2012, 03:36 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Harry when you say built in light do you mean back lighting like say on a tablet?

That's why I use the Playbook to read because it's not a flat screen colour.

Does that make sense?

I'll look out for a Kindle Paperwhite next time I'm out and about in various department stores. Thanks!!
No. eInk screens are opaque, and can't be backlit. The current range of reading devices with lighting use side-lighting - basically LEDs built into the side of the bezel, and some form of light diffuser to spread it (reasonably) evenly across the screen. The two best-known ones are probably the Kindle Paperwhite and the Kobo Glo. The lighting isn't perfect, but it's a lot better than you get from any clip-on book light.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:56 AM   #10
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
You also might try a Kindle Fire HD. They ar like a Computer screen. You can adjust the brightness, Mine is at 1/2 way point to bright it hurts my eyse & to low I cant see to read LOL Yoi can also chose Backgrowns Whit with black words ....black with white words or tan with black which I find best for me! Also works great outside!!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:59 AM   #11
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Thanks Harry and Katie.