Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-27-2010, 12:39 AM   #1
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
What convinced you to buy a Kindle 3?

For me it was this video from Stuff Magazine. It looked so small and sleek, and the screen looked so much better than my K1, I decided I had to have one.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:45 AM   #2
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
After seeing the GKDX screen.

I wasn't satisfied with my K2 anymore, so as long as it was the same-ish form factor with the pearl screen (and a graphite case) I was sold.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 02:12 AM   #3
travis
Enthusiast
travis has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Ipod Touch 3G, 10" Acer Netbook, Kindle 3
In order, the factors for me to pull the trigger on the Kindle 3 as my first e-reader:

1) Low Price
2) Smaller size and weight
3) WiFi (I bought WiFi only unit)
4) Better e-ink screen

Travis
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:38 AM   #4
AdrianM
Connoisseur
AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: nook, K3
1) The lack of glare and reflections that I get on the Nook.
2) Better screen with faster refresh.
3) Small size, light weight.
4) Extended battery life.
5) Did I mention no reflections and glare off a silly touch screen and glossy bezel?
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:41 AM   #5
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
I bought a K2 within 30 days of the K3 announcement. K2 went back, no brainer
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 04:19 AM   #6
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
screen, weight, and battery life.
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:27 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Mr. Bezos told me that I needed one.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:52 AM   #8
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Pearl screen, pearl screen, pearl screen.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:39 AM   #9
Yidaki66
1st timer
Yidaki66 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Wifes eyesight not so good so increase in font size will be good for her (1st e-reader).
Yidaki66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:25 AM   #10
Susianne
Susianne began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
My first e-book reader

I love the idea of being able to read wherever I am.
Running out of space for books.
Dowloading books pretty well everywhere (have ordered G3)
It looks beautiful!

I'm expecting mine to arrive around 7 September - fingers crossed!
Susianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:42 AM   #11
Shibito
Shibito began at the beginning.

Device: none
1. Price ($139 is very affordable, even for me)
2. High-quality screen
3. Convenience

This will be my first e-book reader.
Shibito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:45 AM   #12
Snowman
Zealot
Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iPhone 5, Kindle K3, Kindle Voyage
The display controller chip of my trusty and well used Gen3 has started to give warnings. I *was* intending to simply order a new Gen3, but then the K3 became available, so I could do some comparisons.
  • Screen
    Gen3: Vizplex
    K3: Pearl
  • Format
    All of my (calibre-managed) library of >1000 books is mobi/prc. I have been prevaricating about converting it to epub for a while. I know that calibre can do a bulk conversion, but each book usually needs some fine tuning (I'm a bit AR about this!).
    Gen3: Either
    K3: mobi
  • Customer Service
    Bookeen: So so
    Amazon: Fantastic
  • Price
    Gen3: £230. Still.
    K3: £109. Don't need or want G3
  • Battery
    Gen3: User replaceable; after 2.5 years, mine still lasts a week (2-4 hrs/day)
    K3: Not user replaceable. Claimed to last a month.
  • Price
  • Price
  • Cover
    Gen3: Reuse the nice leather cover I bought last year.
    K3: Promise of a Christmas present of an Oberon. (Red Dragon)
  • Price
  • Price
Hmmmmm.

A bit of a no-brainer, it seems!

Snowman
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:53 AM   #13
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
The opening of the Amazon.co.uk store
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:55 AM   #14
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Price.

Also I was actually going to place a order for $50 worth of books from Amazon.com when I saw they released a cheaper version. Since most of them were actually PD books (from Paizo's Planetary Stories line) it's even cheaper, sort of.

And buttons. I just hate touchscreens.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:57 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
The display controller chip of my trusty and well used Gen3 has started to give warnings. I *was* intending to simply order a new Gen3, but then the K3 became available, so I could do some comparisons.
  • Screen
    Gen3: Vizplex
    K3: Pearl
  • Format
    All of my (calibre-managed) library of >1000 books is mobi/prc. I have been prevaricating about converting it to epub for a while. I know that calibre can do a bulk conversion, but each book usually needs some fine tuning (I'm a bit AR about this!).
    Gen3: Either
    K3: mobi
  • Customer Service
    Bookeen: So so
    Amazon: Fantastic
  • Price
    Gen3: £230. Still.
    K3: £109. Don't need or want G3
  • Battery
    Gen3: User replaceable; after 2.5 years, mine still lasts a week (2-4 hrs/day)
    K3: Not user replaceable. Claimed to last a month.
  • Price
  • Price
  • Cover
    Gen3: Reuse the nice leather cover I bought last year.
    K3: Promise of a Christmas present of an Oberon. (Red Dragon)
  • Price
  • Price
Hmmmmm.

A bit of a no-brainer, it seems!

Snowman
I agree with you entirely, but the one area in which the Gen3 wins is full folder support. That's very, VERY useful if you want to store a lot of books on the device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote