Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 02-03-2010, 06:36 AM   #1
idle
I Do Like Ebooks
idle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook Ultra 650
Driver for Win XP

Hello, has anyone tried to install the driver for Win XP recently?

I did it successfully a few months ago, but now I'm at a new job, another computer, and the driver doesn't install. Straight installation of the file fails, and pointing the installation wizard to the folder doesn't find anything.

Also, a friend tells me that he has exactly the same troubles, so it might be not just me.

Any ideas?

I'm thinking the linux.inf file might be broken. If this is the case, anyone has an older version cached somewhere? I'd like to try it.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by idle View Post
Hello, has anyone tried to install the driver for Win XP recently?

I did it successfully a few months ago, but now I'm at a new job, another computer, and the driver doesn't install. Straight installation of the file fails, and pointing the installation wizard to the folder doesn't find anything.

Also, a friend tells me that he has exactly the same troubles, so it might be not just me.

Any ideas?

I'm thinking the linux.inf file might be broken. If this is the case, anyone has an older version cached somewhere? I'd like to try it.
If you read the comments at the beginning of the linux.inf script you will see that there are no drivers installed by the script. The script basically activates a driver set that is already supplied with a standard XP installation while making some registry entries necessary for the drivers use. The comments at the top of the linux.inf script also tell you where you can get the RNDIS driver set if it has somehow been removed from your XP installation.
Advert
Old 02-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
idle
I Do Like Ebooks
idle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheese

Ah, thanks. I didn't look inside.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:55 AM   #4
idle
I Do Like Ebooks

Well, I'm still a bit lost. The link given in the linux.inf file doesn't work anymore; what exactly am I looking for now?

(I wonder why the driver would be missing from my XP installation - it's newly installed, and updated including SP3 and whatever the automatic updates offer me. But whatever. Making it work would be enough for me.)
Old 02-04-2010, 06:07 AM   #5
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, I'm still a bit lost. The link given in the linux.inf file doesn't work anymore; what exactly am I looking for now?
Ahhhh, I guess that WinXP does not exist for Microsoft anymore.

From reading the script, it looks like you need:
usb8023.sys
rndismp.sys
netevent.dll
Those files shound be in the Windows/system32/drivers directory.

I am not really any kind of Windows expert, but that is what it looks like you need from my reading of the script. There could be more, but that is all I could find from reading the script.
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 07:51 AM   #6
idle
I Do Like Ebooks

I found the problem now - the problem was not in my XP installation (all the needed files were present indeed), but in the linux.inf file itself.

Thanks for nudging me to look inside the file - what I downloaded was actually an HTML file containing the text of the original linux.inf file. (I should have noticed the first time over, but opening it for viewing and not editing obscured this a bit for me.)
Luckily it also contained a link to the original version, which worked like it was supposed to.

Thanks for your patience.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:59 AM   #7
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
I found the problem now - the problem was not in my XP installation (all the needed files were present indeed), but in the linux.inf file itself.

Thanks for nudging me to look inside the file - what I downloaded was actually an HTML file containing the text of the original linux.inf file. (I should have noticed the first time over, but opening it for viewing and not editing obscured this a bit for me.)
Luckily it also contained a link to the original version, which worked like it was supposed to.

Thanks for your patience.
Wow, great detective work!!
Congratulations, I do not think that I would ever have thought to look for HTML markup inside an INF file!!!