Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-02-2009, 12:26 AM   #151
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
Well, I decided to upload a pic of Berling Antiqua. I don't know how you guys are getting such crisp images with a scanner. The screen is a bit out of focus on mine as it is further away from the plate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Berling_Antiqua.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	315.9 KB
ID:	36800  
orion2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #152
gregcd
Connoisseur
gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: prs-t1, prs-650 to sell
I get the same fuzzy screen scan on my home scanner. I use the big photocopier (can do A3 paper) at work to scan; it must have better optics.
gregcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #153
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
Ah, thats good to know. I'll give it a shot at work then.
orion2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:03 PM   #154
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One thing I can get from using ePub is that I can get true italics, true bold, true bold/italics, true smallcaps. From LRF, everything but the normal font is simulated. Oh and age turns with embedded fonts in ePub as a lot faster then with LRF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:58 AM   #155
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Oh and age turns with embedded fonts in ePub as a lot faster then with LRF.
I'm not sure that's a good thing
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2009, 06:38 AM   #156
JohnnyD
Connoisseur
JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Cybook Gen3 (cracked screen)/Bebook/Nokia E60/Nokia 5800/Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
/Data is the root of the user accessible file system
is this true for a BeBook (running standard firmware) as well? Or only for a Sony reader?
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:05 AM   #157
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
is this true for a BeBook (running standard firmware) as well? Or only for a Sony reader?
The only way to find out is to try it.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:06 AM   #158
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I'm not sure that's a good thing
Why would it not be a good thing?
Old 10-06-2009, 09:16 AM   #159
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
This is only for the Sony Readers. I tried on my EZ Reader (Hanlin V3) and it does not accept fonts in /Data or /home. I think others have tried on the Cybook Opus without success.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:43 AM   #160
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why would it not be a good thing?
You wrote "age" instead of "page", I was joking on that
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:56 AM   #161
JohnnyD
Connoisseur
JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Cybook Gen3 (cracked screen)/Bebook/Nokia E60/Nokia 5800/Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
This is only for the Sony Readers. I tried on my EZ Reader (Hanlin V3) and it does not accept fonts in /Data or /home. I think others have tried on the Cybook Opus without success.
Mm, I'm browsing through the sources of the BeBook firmware, there's a tool called 'Fb2Linux', with a source file called 'fb2v.cpp'. In this source file something like

Code:
fontDir << "/fonts"
and

Code:
// init bitmap font manager
    InitFontManager( fontDir );
occurs; could it be that the system font directory is simply called '/font'?

I'm going to try it out, but I'm afraid it has to wait until tonight

(rats! To quick! The entire code block reads:

Code:
printf("home dir: %s\n", exedir);

lString8 fontDir(exedir);
    fontDir << "/fonts";
meaning '/fonts' is a subdirectory below a certain home directory. Which can be anything. Bummer. )

Last edited by JohnnyD; 10-09-2009 at 08:03 AM. Reason: spoke to soon
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #162
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
I have a problem of reading epub with ADE on Windows XP. I created an EPUB file with embedded font. It works. Then I want to remove the embedded font to save storage space, so, by imitating some post in this thread, I tried with the lines in "stylesheet.css":
Code:
src : url(res:///c:/WINDOWS/FONTS/MSJH.ttf) format("truetype");
Code:
src : url(file:///c:/WINDOWS/FONTS/MSJH.ttf) format("truetype");
The result is bad.

What am I missing?

Last edited by ericshliao; 10-11-2009 at 07:20 PM.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:05 AM   #163
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
You have to use this resource reference inside of a font-face instruction, as in my :

Code:
@font-face {font-family: "Caecilia", serif;font-weight: normal;font-style: normal;src: url(res:///Data/fonts/CaeciliaLTStd-Roman.otf);}
@font-face {font-family: "Caecilia", serif;font-weight: bold;    font-style: normal;src: url(res:///Data/fonts/CaeciliaLTStd-Bold.otf);}
@font-face {font-family: "Caecilia", serif;font-weight: bold;    font-style: italic;   src: url(res:///Data/fonts/CaeciliaLTStd-BoldItalic.otf);}
@font-face {font-family: "Caecilia", serif;font-weight: normal;font-style: italic;   src: url(res:///Data/fonts/CaeciliaLTStd-Italic.otf);}

@font-face {font-family: "FontinSans", sans-serif;font-weight: normal;font-style: normal;src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Fontin_Sans_R_45b.otf);}
@font-face {font-family: "FontinSans", sans-serif;font-weight: bold;font-style: normal;src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Fontin_Sans_B_45b.otf);}
@font-face {font-family: "FontinSans", sans-serif;font-weight: bold;font-style: italic;src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Fontin_Sans_BI_45b.otf);}
@font-face {font-family: "FontinSans", sans-serif;font-weight: normal;font-style: italic;src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Fontin_Sans_I_45b.otf);}
This code forces the use of the Caecilia font for all serif font declarations in the following and inherited CSS, and the use of FontinSans in lieu of all other sans-serif fonts.

Hope this helps,
Dave.
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:12 AM   #164
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierron View Post
You have to use this resource reference inside of a font-face instruction, as in my...
Thanx for your reply.
In fact, I have set @font-face{} in "stylesheet.css". I can create epub ebook with embedded font without any problem. In my previous post, I just cited the "src: url..." part because I thought it's the only relevant facor.

Last edited by ericshliao; 10-12-2009 at 09:14 AM.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:54 AM   #165
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Ok, my mistake.
You'll have to check that the file path is correct, including any capitalization problem specific to Windows (which is known for not showing the file names with their proper capitalization).
Also, I didn't know about the format("truetype") part ; is it possible that this would cause a problem ? In fact I never needed it, ADE is fully capable of distinguishing between TT and OTF font types by itself...
This would require some trial and error ; I may be able to help if you want, feel free to send me a private message so we can arrange for a transfer of your example file.

Cheers,
Dave.
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, fonts