Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #1
dkgmunich
dkgmunich began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2
final decision

Hello All,

I have spent about 4 hours (or maybe more) reading/searching posts.
And I think kobo aura or onyx book c65 afterglow suits my needs.
But still here I mention my requirements:
1. The size. I am inclined towards 6 inch
2. Not tied to an ecosystem. That is why kindle went off the list.
3. I am learning German and Greek. So would like to read text in these languages with an offline dictionary support to look up meaning in english.
So basically multilingual cross language dictionary. Since I am a student would like to have free dictionaries. That is save money as many places I can.
4. I would also be reading scientific papers so need pdf support. It would be nice if i could add text notes to such documents.
5. SD card support.
6. With light support. Although if a perfect solution exists without light, am willing to consider that.
6. Anything else is bonus

I am happy to listen to any comments people have with their prior experiences with the eink devices. This would be my first ebook reader.

I am currently based in Munich. So I had a chance to get a feel of aura at nearby mediamarkt. But I don't know where can I find Onyx to try.
I also tried Tolino Vision at HugenDubel, but after reading the review about its not so good pdf support, dropped it from my list of options.

Thanks & Regards,
dkg
dkgmunich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:51 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I know this is larger then 6", but wait for the Kobo Aura H2O.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2014, 07:00 PM   #3
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
The Kobo has terrible PDF reading built-in. But it can do single word translations, I believe. Aside from tablets in the 10" category (which tend to be much better at working with PDFs than most e-ink e-readers), I can't think of any affordable e-ink devices that handle PDF "well". Kindle Paperwhite does OK, but not great. And it is far better at handling PDFs than the Kobos. Sony has their new PDF reading device but it is over $1,000 dollars which is crazy.

Among Onyx Boox devices, the M96 is probably the best for PDFs. But that is a hefty price to pay.

The Kindle Paperwhite software can translate entire pages/sections/sentences so I am sure there may be other people who do this.

Still, your needs may be met by one of these devices.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:46 AM   #4
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
M96 the best? Are you joking me?

Low resolution, same sh1tty operating system as the T68..
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post

I've asked this before, and got no answer. I'm really curious...which reader, in your opinion, *is* a good choice? You hate Kobos, you hate Onyx, the Surface sucks...so which one is worth buying?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2014, 10:44 AM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:

You again?
And surprise, surprise: You don't like the unit in question. Who would have thought?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:58 AM   #7
agua102
agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablet w8,android,ipad,prs1,boox92
I just break my M92 ? what about m96, nothing better? what about a ebook reader in color of 9 or 10 " no advance in two years (since I bought the boox m92)?
agua102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:17 AM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agua102 View Post
I just break my M92 ? what about m96, nothing better? what about a ebook reader in color of 9 or 10 " no advance in two years (since I bought the boox m92)?
I've thought about the PocketBook Color Lux.
I so wanted to like it.
But the technology simply isn't there yet.
I've checked it out from a friend. Low resolution (due to the way the color is generated) and washed out colors. If you want color, there doesn't seem to be a real alternative to tablets.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:08 PM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I've asked this before, and got no answer. I'm really curious...which reader, in your opinion, *is* a good choice? You hate Kobos, you hate Onyx, the Surface sucks...so which one is worth buying?

Shari
FinancialWar has had a bad experience with his T68, as reflected in a number of posts in a various threads, and has unilaterally damned the T68 and the M96.

Whether he chooses to come back and answer your question is problematic. Hopefully, he'll elaborate at a future date.

To get a healthy viewpoint, one might look at the satisfied users here at Mobilereadand then - moving beyond FinancialWar's scathing rhetoric [if that's possible] - to find out in an objective way why he is dissatisfied. You'll then be armed with both viewpoints.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-01-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:12 PM   #10
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

No worries. I'll make videos in the future to show you my objectivity.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:16 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
No worries. I'll make videos in the future to show you my objectivity.

That's an excellent idea.

This should be very helpful in clarifying the issues that you are having.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:58 PM   #12
dkgmunich
dkgmunich began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2
Thank you all for the comments.

Anthem:
You mentioned Kobo is not the best device for pdf. Is Onyx better than Kobo?
As regarding translations its good tool. But again single word dictionary would also be helpful. Though I have to agree I did find tolino visions dictionary good.
Somewhere it is already mentioned sony has by far one of the best offline dictionaries, but adding free dictionaries for missing laguages to it is next to impossible. Or did I get this wrong?
Also they also have fairly good pdf support.

mgmueller,
I notice you are in Augsburg. Not far from Munich .
Do you know any place where I can try Onyx?
You seem to have tested/used quite a nice collection of ereaders.
Any suggestion would be helpful.

Thanks & Regards,
-dkg
dkgmunich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:12 PM   #13
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgmunich View Post
...I notice you are in Augsburg. Not far from Munich .
Do you know any place where I can try Onyx?
Sorry, I haven't seen any Onyx "in the wild".
Best chance probably would be ereader-store.de, but they are in Detmold (about 600km from Munich).
A friend of mine did have the Onyx T68. I wasn't too fond of it (display a bit "washed out", build quality not that good, ...), but I seem to be the minority.
My friend had ordered from allesebook.de. They seem to be in Graz, 400km from Munich.
But I haven't seen any in Saturn, Media Markt or the likes...
Old 09-01-2014, 05:14 PM   #14
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgmunich View Post
...Somewhere it is already mentioned sony has by far one of the best offline dictionaries, but adding free dictionaries for missing laguages to it is next to impossible....
A few years argo, I had fumbled around with the Kindle dictionaries.
I've described somewhere in the forum, how to buy any dictionary from Amazon, strip it from DRM, convert it to .mobi and use it as the standard dictionary. Pretty versatile and worked like a charm. But most of the times it's not even necessary, since Amazon automatically adds (most of) the dictionaries one has bought from them.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:07 PM   #15
FinancialWar
Banned

I would not buy anything from ereader-store.de again, have you read their refund policy?

You receive your product, you are only allow refund if you don't use it. If you don't use it, how do you even find the less obvious defects? And trust me, Onyx is full of defects that you will not be able to find in the first 5 minutes of unboxing.

Basically you can only get a refund if you find the most obvious defect upon first unboxing of the product, such as dead screen or something.

But you must be very careful with the packaging.

However, if you find some less obvious defects, later on after you started using the product for a while, you will no longer be able to return it. Eg wifi issue or SD not working or backlight not working etc. So basically if you find a defect after one day of usage, you can no longer return it.

And they don't refund postage cost.

Buy from Amazon instead. They have a much more easier and less restrictive return policy. Onxy T68 is a product that you want to have a good return or exchange policy on.

Last edited by FinancialWar; 09-01-2014 at 07:53 PM.