Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Book detail area: series number given in Roman numerals

When I have series numbers set in the Edit Metadata screen, the series is listed in the book detail area in Roman numerals. I know I've seen instructions how to change that to Arabic numbers, but just wandering around the various settings I can't seem to find it. I'm sure it's someplace simple and obvious; can someone direct me to how to display my series number in Arabic numbers?

thanks!
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hi BP

Preferences->Look & Feel->Book Details Tab top right - Uncheck Use Roman Numerals for Series

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Thank you! I knew it probably was something stupidly simple like that!
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:32 PM   #4
kjsmith123
kjsmith123 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Question book series number in roman numeral

I unchecked the roman numeral in preference but new books being added still show roman numeral for book series number. Is there something else that also needs changed?
kjsmith123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:43 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjsmith123 View Post
I unchecked the roman numeral in preference but new books being added still show roman numeral for book series number. Is there something else that also needs changed?
Did you "apply" the setting?
Then did you restart Calibre?

Can any other preferences be stored?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2015, 02:42 PM   #6
kjsmith123

book series number in roman numeral

I did apply and shutdown and restart Calibre. I shut the computer down last night and started up again this morning. I looked at the Roman Numeral setting to make sure there was no "check" - there wasn't. I added a book and the series number continues to be in roman numeral. I re-converted an existing book and it remains roman numeral. Obviously I'm overlooking something.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:35 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
... I re-converted an existing book and it remains roman numeral.
Just to be absolutely clear, where exactly are you seeing the roman numerals? Is it in the calibre library GUI book details panel or is it somewhere else, such as a calibre-created book jacket when you open the book in the Viewer? The reason I ask is because I don't understand what relevance converting the book has if you're seeing roman numerals in the GUI.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:09 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@kjsmith123 - the setting is stored in the gui.py file in the configuration folder, look for 'roman' and you should see something like this

Code:
# use roman numerals for series number
# Use Roman numerals for series number
use_roman_numerals_for_series_number = False
If its True then close calibre, change it to False, and start calibre again.

To find the configuration folder: In main GUI program (library manager) go to Preferences->Miscellaneous and click Open configuration directory

If that works could you let us know - there maybe other ramifications.

BR
Old 05-09-2015, 08:53 PM   #9
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Interesting -- I never knew about the Roman Numerals since the Series column always used Arabic, but the book details will use the setting

Never thought about the difference
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	462
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	138129  
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:53 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
Interesting -- I never knew about the Roman Numerals since the Series column always used Arabic, but the book details will use the setting

Never thought about the difference
@phossler - you presumably have this setting in Look and Feel

Views:	481
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	138130

BR
Old 05-09-2015, 10:01 PM   #11
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@phossler - you presumably have this setting in Look and Feel
BR
I used to.

I was only remarking on the difference between the Series column in Arabic and the Book Details in Roman. Since I was happy using the Series column I never thought about it
Old 05-09-2015, 10:14 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@phossler - I was hoping you had the same problem as kjsmith123 reports - shows Roman in Book Details with setting unchecked.

BR
Old 05-09-2015, 11:14 PM   #13
phossler
Wizard

@BR -- Don't you just HATE it when things go right and you can't reproduce a problem?????

I added a new book with these settings and it is in Arabic in both places
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	495
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	138131  

Last edited by phossler; 05-09-2015 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:47 PM   #14
kjsmith123

roman numerals

I load an epub book into Calibre. I open "Edit Metadata" and since it is book 5 of a series, I enter the name in the series block and enter a 5 in the number block. I hit "OK" to close and save the metadata.

I open "Convert Books" and the opening page shows, among other things, the name of my series and below that, book 5. I select "Structure Detection" and select "Insert metadata as page at start of book". I hit OK and Convert Books closes and does its thing.

I then select "View". This comes up on page one with my cover. I select page 2 and the metadata I entered is presented but the series number has changed from 5 to V.

Under "Preferences", "Look and Feel", and "Book Details" there is a place to check "use Roman numerals for series. It is unchecked. I check it, close Calibre and restart Calibre. I repeat all of the above for another book and get the same results. Checked or unchecked, the metadata page inserted in the epub book always shows a roman numeral for the series number.

I'm obviously overlooking something but I have no idea what.

Ken
Old 05-10-2015, 06:04 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Checked or unchecked, the metadata page inserted in the epub book always shows a roman numeral for the series number.

I'm obviously overlooking something but I have no idea what.

Ken
@kjsmith123 - aaah - I think you you mean the book jacket page

We've all been thinking you meant the Book Details panel because that's what this thread is about -- "Book detail area: series number given in Roman numerals"

Lesson: this mayn't have happened had you created your own thread, rather than resurrecting an inappropriate old thread If you're not 110% sure please don't report your issues in old threads.

You need to customise the book jacket template (template.xhtml) instructions are in that file (it's a one line change).

Basic info about customising such things is here ==>> Overriding icons, templates, et cetera

Do not edit the file in the install location - edit a copy (as per above doco) in the config folder... go to Preferences->Miscellaneous and click Open configuration directory to see where that is.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-10-2015 at 06:08 PM.