Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 05-24-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
enarchay
Zealot
enarchay began at the beginning.

Device: none
Convert djvu to PDF, DOC, or HTML?

How can I convert djvu files to other formats like PDF, DOC, or HTML?
enarchay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:46 PM   #2
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
I had similar question. On archive.org there are many ebooks I like to read but few in the formats I need (epub, mobi, fb2). For the archive.org ebooks there are files for most books in a format called filename_djvu.txt which seems to be mostly text but in a strange format. Is there any way to convert such text to other formats (I tried converting one to fb2 but was unable to do so)
Bob
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
enarchay
Zealot
enarchay began at the beginning.

The only converter I've found that works well puts a big watermark on the pages since it is the trial version. I don't plan on paying to upgrade. Anyone else have some ideas?
enarchay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:34 PM   #4
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

enarchay,
I'm not really familiar with djvu format but I think the djvu ebook consists of image files and is not a text file. If so, then one can't simply convert a djvu ebook to an ideal fb2 format because a text file is required. The same applies to pdf files, most of the pdf book files seem to consist of images so one needs to use an ocr on the pdf images to create an editable text. The problem with this is that the created text is replete with numerous text errors and formatting changes that make it time-consuming to use for making an ebook. That's why I was interested in the archive.org 'filename_djvu.txt' files. For some reason archive.org uses this odd format as one of the downloadable files and they don't provide rtf or normal dos .txt files. They have lots of books available though!
Bob
Old 05-31-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
IgnareAcademy
Banned
IgnareAcademy is on a distinguished road

Device: Hanlin clone
You can use ABBYY FineReader 9.0.
IgnareAcademy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2009, 09:39 AM   #6
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by enarchay View Post
How can I convert djvu files to other formats like PDF, DOC, or HTML?
To images? If so, try PDFRead v1.8.2.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
bobcdy
Fanatic

Thanks for the info. I found that ABBYY Fine Reader does a very good ocr on djvu and then one can have text, html, or pdf result. One needs to proof the result, though, and depending on the quality of the ocr, there may be many errors. After thinking about it, I don't believe there can be any converter such as "djvu2mobi" because of the image character of the djvu. The images imply that there has to be ocr in the conversion. The djvu.txt that is available on archive.org for most documents and books seems to be an ocr of the djvu and usually seems not be have been proofed - has many, many errors.
Bob
Old 09-05-2011, 01:54 AM   #8
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
Sorry to bring this back up but this "djvu" seems to be expanding quite a bit lately, but the tools to view and convert are still lagging behind. The best I found for Windows is a free and open source program called DjView, and it has an "export as" option (PDF seems to get the best results). I tried it on a few recent ebooks and the conversion went well.

djvu books can be 1 to 20MB, which expands up to 10-100MB PDF files, then calibre converts them back down to a fairly small ebook file for the reader of your choosing (mobi for Kindle in my case).
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:22 AM   #9
pessi
pessi began at the beginning.

pdfaid

You can try one of the application at pdfaid

http://pdfaid.com
pessi is offline   Reply With Quote