Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 08:03 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke King View Post
Yes, but I wonder how common it has been for Americans to see variant spellings before the advent of ebooks. I would imagine, as the US is such a large market, that print books have always appeared in American English regardless of where they were written.
That's a good point. I recall there was another thread recently about the English translation of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" (which is a British English translation, even in the US), and someone complained about the use of the word "gaol" (which is an alternate British spelling of "jail").
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:04 AM   #17
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I honestly don't think I've heard or read that until now. Is this some new teenage idiom?
I don't know if it is a fad or whatever, but it is bothering the stew out of me. Is it French? But it is a valid word on my Scramble 2 word find app.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 08:05 AM   #18
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I honestly don't think I've heard or read that until now. Is this some new teenage idiom?
Adults too. It's part of the lolcat meme.

And to weigh in on the original question, I concur in the preference for the spelling and style to be appropriate to the setting.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:08 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I don't know if it is a fad or whatever, but it is bothering the stew out of me. Is it French? But it is a valid word on my Scramble 2 word find app.
It is a valid word, eg in the sentence "the result of the ballet was 50 yeses and 23 noes". But I don't like it at all in the context that you quoted .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:09 AM   #20
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
That's a good point. I recall there was another thread recently about the English translation of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" (which is a British English translation, even in the US), and someone complained about the use of the word "gaol" (which is an alternate British spelling of "jail").
I like gaol. It gives me warm fuzzies and takes me back to memories of college and reading medieval texts with my friends.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 09:35 AM   #21
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Actually even English isn't English anymore if you think about it. The language is always changing. Just look at how words were spelled in Shakespeare's time vs. our own for an example. His work is still able to be understood but some words have fallen out of use and others are spelled differently than they were in his time. Fyre for fire for example.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #22
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Actually part of modern English is French in origin if you think about it. The Saxons lost their kingdom to the Normans in 1066 and the Normans came from what is now France. In fact modern English is a mixture of different languages and cultures. Angles, Saxons, Normans, Romans, Vikings etc. and it comes from the same language branch as German I believe. Even the name England is a corruption of very old language. England = Angle land or land of the Angles. They had a small portion of land that they claimed as theirs a long, long time ago.

Quote:
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:19 PM   #23
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
The only hard and fast rule, Luke, is consistency, whether you use US or UK standard. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:06 AM   #24
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
I like gaol. It gives me warm fuzzies and takes me back to memories of college
Oh dear, DixieGal, did you have a lot of experience of gaol while you were in college?

()
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:09 PM   #25
abigsmurf
Enthusiast
abigsmurf began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I'd say it's best to stick to your own language.

You often hear people say British English is just s' instead of z's and some extra u's but there're quite a few words and phrases that are fairly different or have different meaning.

As a kid I always wondered what the hell 'aluminum' was. If you want to make a Brit laugh or get embarassed, just talk about your fanny pack.
abigsmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #26
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
English spelling doesn't bother me. Even English slang and common words that have different meanings don't faze me too much. The way they often pronounce words often can drive me bonkers. How many Rs are in "idea?" Yet many (if not most) English put one on the end (American New Englanders are just as bad). Listening to the damn yankees on "This Old House" makes me want to strangle them because of the extra Rs they tack on after Ws. Yeesh.

If you guys want to make Brits at least raise their eyebrows, tell them you are going to wear pants held up with suspenders to the store.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #27
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by abigsmurf View Post
If you want to make a Brit laugh or get embarassed, just talk about your fanny pack.
You might try to imagine our dismay, when as children, we learned that Fran Dresher fell on her fanny. What was she to do?
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:26 AM   #28
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
If you guys want to make Brits at least raise their eyebrows, tell them you are going to wear pants held up with suspenders to the store.
And wearing a vest....

Mind you , if you said you were going to the Rocky Horror Show, no-one would be surprised if that's how you dressed.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:01 AM   #29
dworth
Zealot
dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle pc
Warning: The word 'fanny' means something an awful lot ruder to British readers and naming a character 'Randy' will only elicit sniggers, as will calling your robot cartoon character 'Bender'.
dworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #30
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
Quote:
Erm actualy "jail" is the alternate to Gaol, which was the English original.

But this highlights the whole point. There is no common spelling of English around the world! Do the spannish have this issue between Spain and Mexico? Do the French have it between France and French part of Canada?

IS this a particularly English issue.
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote