Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-07-2008, 06:58 AM   #1
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
Article from the Independant

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...om-919089.html

She makes some interesting points. I don't follow the rather romantic view of paper books being special or love the smell of bookshops and she doesn't seem to realise that the Sony can be used left handed but she makes some real points about the complexity of the technology and how to a novice it can be quite tricky to get those books onto the reader.
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:56 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Just a note about the article... The author has decided to name the Sony Reader as The Sony eReader. The 505 will NOT display eReader format eBooks. It is not an eReader. It is a Reader. So as you are reading the article or have just finished it, remember, Sony has nothing to do with eReader. eReader is the name of the software and the name of the format of eBook the software displays.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2008, 08:23 AM   #3
jljones
Enthusiast
jljones is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad
I agree about the attraction of paper books, and like browsing new and second hand bookshops. But it's not a matter of ebooks or paper ones, at least for me. The menu buttons are on the right hand side, but how hard is it for a left hander to use them? By her argument, the iLiad isn't suitable for righthanders. I'm lefthanded, but apart from writing, I'm ambidextrous.
jljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:29 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljones View Post
I agree about the attraction of paper books, and like browsing new and second hand bookshops. But it's not a matter of ebooks or paper ones, at least for me. The menu buttons are on the right hand side, but how hard is it for a left hander to use them? By her argument, the iLiad isn't suitable for righthanders. I'm lefthanded, but apart from writing, I'm ambidextrous.
I am right handed. I used to have a Sony Reader PRS-500. Now I have a 505. ON the 500, the side page turn buttons were on the left. I didn't have trouble with them. Just learned how to hold the 500 with my left hand. Now that the side page turn buttons are on the right, I hold the 505 with my right hand. Really, it's not all that hard to get used to using your left or right hand to hold your reader. Whichever is more comfortable and works for you is what is best.

Also, with a really large hardcover book, sometimes the best way to hold it is with both hands. So I don't see readers being a problem for left or right handed people.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:39 AM   #5
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
There are two sets of page turn buttons on the 505. One on the right and one set on the bottom left. I've used both.
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2008, 09:27 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flub View Post
There are two sets of page turn buttons on the 505. One on the right and one set on the bottom left. I've used both.
The page turn at the lower left has been there on the 500. I'm just mentioning the side page turn buttons which were moved from th placement on the left of the 500 to the placement on the right of the 505.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:04 AM   #7
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just a note about the article... The author has decided to name the Sony Reader as The Sony eReader.
Just out of interest, if you Google 'eReader' the top hit is for "The Sony eReader" - so maybe (just on this one point) the author's not entirely to blame?
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:49 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
Just out of interest, if you Google 'eReader' the top hit is for "The Sony eReader" - so maybe (just on this one point) the author's not entirely to blame?
But if you click the first non advert link, and then search the page, you will not find the eReader at all. You will find Reader. And I'm just pointing out the error so people don't think the 505 supports eReader at all.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just a note about the article... The author has decided to name the Sony Reader as The Sony eReader. The 505 will NOT display eReader format eBooks. It is not an eReader. It is a Reader. So as you are reading the article or have just finished it, remember, Sony has nothing to do with eReader. eReader is the name of the software and the name of the format of eBook the software displays.
On the Sony web site it is the "Reader Digital Book".

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/....com/index.php

Where do you see them call it eReader?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:30 PM   #10
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
I think the reference is to the newspaper article, not the Sony website.
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:37 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argel View Post
I think the reference is to the newspaper article, not the Sony website.
Ah sorry... my mistake. I misread John post. But then again I doubt 99% of the people who read the article know that ereader is also a fileformat/bookstore.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:40 PM   #12
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
On the Sony web site it is the "Reader Digital Book".

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/....com/index.php

BOb
For example, Amazon calls it the "Sony PRS-505 Portable Digital e-Reader System (Silver)" ....

So, other than the article there are places that call it an "e-reader" ... Yes, I know they are technically mistaken, but when there are a lot of places and people making the same mistake, it tends to catch on.

As for the article ... I can and have read my ebooks in the tub (and the pool), so she's dead wrong there. It's just a matter of buying a good plastic baggie.

Of course they don't "furnish a room." My library is full. Almost all the furniture I have also doubles for book storage. Those are full too. What's a crazy cat lady to do .... leave books out in the open where the cats can pee on them?? I don't see that as a viable option.

I still go into bookstores on a regular basis ... sometimes just to sit in their comfy chairs (Cardinal Biggles notwithstanding) and have a Coke (product placement). I also go into old bookstores just because I love the smell of old books. I also go into coffee shops to smell the coffee .... I love the smell of coffee, I just hate the taste.

Regular paper books won't be going away for a long time. Scrolls didn't immediately disappear when bound books were made available .... any good sized change in technology takes time ... less time now than in the distant past ... but time nonetheless.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:49 PM   #13
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
For example, Amazon calls it the "Sony PRS-505 Portable Digital e-Reader System (Silver)" ....

So, other than the article there are places that call it an "e-reader" ... Yes, I know they are technically mistaken, but when there are a lot of places and people making the same mistake, it tends to catch on.
'Ereader' makes me think of a device, not a format - that's how I use the term myself.
It seems to be the generic term for the kit, at least in the UK, judging by how often one encounters it in the press and on the web.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:18 PM   #14
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
'Ereader' makes me think of a device, not a format - that's how I use the term myself.
It seems to be the generic term for the kit, at least in the UK, judging by how often one encounters it in the press and on the web.
Yep ... and although technically incorrect, since ereader really is the name of software and a format and not hardware, the term is taking over as the common term for any ebook reading device.

And, when that finally happens completely and irrevocably (and I do believe it will), I surmise that Jon will begin a slow spiral into madness .... mwuhhhhaaaaaahhaaaaa. Then, we will all go visit him in the asylum and read to him from our various ereaders.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:19 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Ah sorry... my mistake. I misread John post. But then again I doubt 99% of the people who read the article know that ereader is also a fileformat/bookstore.

BOb
If you read the article and then go to Fictionwise, you'll see it says that eReader is recommended. It could very easily be a case of people bying eReader format for the 505 only to find it doesn't work.