Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 09-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
vadiml
vadiml began at the beginning.

Device: None
[Android App] Problem with Calibre Companion

I've installed calibre companion on my galaxy note (under ICS)
On my iMac a have Snow Leopard and running calibre 0.9.0
I activated the sharing and when trying to connect from companion i'm getting message:
"The connection failed because some other device is currently connected to calibre. Disconnect that device then try again."

I have NO other devices connected to calibre....

Any ideas?
vadiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Run calibre's debug device detection (Preferences -> Miscellaneous -> Debug Device Detection) and post the results.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadiml View Post
I have NO other devices connected to calibre....
Are you sure you don't have a device charging via USB on your computer (iphone or other)? Do you have calibre setup to Connect to a folder on startup?

Do you have your Galaxy Note connected to your computer USB when this happens? If so did you answer Yes to the "Do you want calibre to manage it?" question (see attached)? You have to answer No to that question if you want Calibre Companion to manage your connection to calibre.

If you don't see the question attached have you previously setup the User defined USB driver? If so you must disable that driver.

Post the data that chaley requested and we should know what the problem is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nexus.jpg
Views:	796
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	93044  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-29-2012 at 12:03 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:29 AM   #4
Gigante
Gigante began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note
I have the same problem. Also on a Samsung Galaxy Note.

No other devices connected.

On Calibre installation, the welcome guide asked me about my device, which is kind of weird... maybe I don't have a device? Maybe I'm just planning on using the content server? Anyway, I had to tell it something so I entered the "Android" device. Dunno if that matters.

Moving on. I do not connect my phone to the computer via cable at all. But when connecting wirelessly I get that message.. "The connection failed because some other device is currently connected to calibre...." which is weird in itself. I mean, it's 2012... we have multithreading and multiple network connections... If the message was "There is already 500 devices connected, you'll have to wait!" I'd understand.. but "some other device" ?? Come on...

Oh, I've tried that debug device detection thingy in Calibre but it seems to lock up, I'm not getting anything.
Gigante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:42 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigante View Post
I have the same problem. Also on a Samsung Galaxy Note.

No other devices connected.
From what you say below, clearly calibre thinks something else is connected. More later...
Quote:
On Calibre installation, the welcome guide asked me about my device, which is kind of weird... maybe I don't have a device? Maybe I'm just planning on using the content server? Anyway, I had to tell it something so I entered the "Android" device. Dunno if that matters.
Choosing the device sometimes controls the sizes of covers etc. It doesn't do anything for wireless device connections.
Quote:
Moving on. I do not connect my phone to the computer via cable at all. But when connecting wirelessly I get that message.. "The connection failed because some other device is currently connected to calibre...." which is weird in itself. I mean, it's 2012... we have multithreading and multiple network connections... If the message was "There is already 500 devices connected, you'll have to wait!" I'd understand.. but "some other device" ?? Come on...
Sorry, but that is how calibre works. It supports one device at a time. CC can't change that.

The question is "what other device is connected?" Calibre shows the name of the currently connected device on the bottom left of the screen, something like "Connected xxxyyy". What is written there?
Quote:
Oh, I've tried that debug device detection thingy in Calibre but it seems to lock up, I'm not getting anything.
What version of calibre are you running, and on what operating system? How long did you wait for it to produce something?

The reason to run debug device detection is to see what calibre thinks is connected. If it truly never finishes then calibre is confused about some device connected to your computer. Do you have any devices connected by wire, even if they aren't connected to calibre? A phone that is charging? Something else?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert