Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-02-2010, 08:33 AM   #46
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
Thanks Jaxx. Looks like the vote is against the Mac keyboard (I'm talking of a plug-in keyboard instead of using the laptop built-in one), so maybe I'll go for the Logitech one. I can live with this old Fujitsu-Siemens keyboard whilst I look around.
In my own experience, and this is with split keyboards, not those slightly curved ones that seem only half ergonomic; Microsoft makes a better keyboard than Logitech.

I've got both on my desk, and definitely prefer the MS Ergo 4000.

It doesn't hurt that it comes with Mac drivers on the disk.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:39 AM   #47
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Thanks Jaxx. Looks like the vote is against the Mac keyboard (I'm talking of a plug-in keyboard instead of using the laptop built-in one), so maybe I'll go for the Logitech one. I can live with this old Fujitsu-Siemens keyboard whilst I look around.
I actually like the small bluetooth one - it's big enough to type on comfortably, it's sturdy, and the key press feels responsive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
In my own experience, and this is with split keyboards, not those slightly curved ones that seem only half ergonomic; Microsoft makes a better keyboard than Logitech.
They also make better mice than Logitech (although I prefer using the pen with my Wacom tablet, or Apple's magic trackpad to a mouse these days - especially as MS stopped making the trackball I used to use)
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #48
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
I actually like the small bluetooth one - it's big enough to type on comfortably, it's sturdy, and the key press feels responsive
It looks well built, and I'm sure it's got a decent key press - my concern is the angle. From everything I've seen you can't even lay it flat, let alone tilt it down, and that's where I have the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
They also make better mice than Logitech (although I prefer using the pen with my Wacom tablet, or Apple's magic trackpad to a mouse these days - especially as MS stopped making the trackball I used to use)
That's where we'll have to agree to disagree - I find Logitech makes better mice for my uses.

Though the magic trackpad looks awesome.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:21 PM   #49
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
It looks well built, and I'm sure it's got a decent key press - my concern is the angle. From everything I've seen you can't even lay it flat, let alone tilt it down, and that's where I have the problem.
It definitely can't be laid flat, although you could prop the front end up with something to make it flat, I suppose. Not the most practical solution though! It does only have a fairly shallow tilt, which suits me OK, but may not suit others. I like the MS ergonomic keyboards a lot, but ultimately I've found they're too big for me (especially at home where I'm in danger of sending things flying with arm - but that's just because I've laid things out badly in that respect - it works for other reasons though). The one major advantage I've found is that because it doesn't have legs, it doesn't have legs that break, or half fold up and make the keyboard wobbly.

Quote:
That's where we'll have to agree to disagree - I find Logitech makes better mice for my uses.

Though the magic trackpad looks awesome.
I fully accept I'm in a minority! Most people I know prefer Logitech mice.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:36 PM   #50
Lemurion
eReader

The catch is that I really want it tilted the other direction, a very shallow slope down and away from me. The MS Ergo 4000 does that naturally, very few other keyboards do.

(For what it's worth, I'll happily take a Microsoft mouse - from my perspective, both companies produce great products, I just think each does one thing better than the other.)
Advert
Old 12-03-2010, 03:58 AM   #51
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
The catch is that I really want it tilted the other direction, a very shallow slope down and away from me.
Jeez, Lem, you have found one that slopes the wrong way? My problem with the MBP built-in keyboard is that it doesn't slope towards me enough for comfort. But then I learnt to type when electric typewriters were rarities.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:50 AM   #52
Lemurion
eReader

Quote:
Jeez, Lem, you have found one that slopes the wrong way? My problem with the MBP built-in keyboard is that it doesn't slope towards me enough for comfort. But then I learnt to type when electric typewriters were rarities.
Yep: A reverse slope on the keyboard means you don't have to bend your wrists, so it's easier to use for long periods.

If your only problem is that your laptop keyboard is too flat, and you want it angled up so the keys face you, why not just get a laptop stand?

Targus makes a number of stands that aren't too expensive and let you angle your laptop the way you want.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:56 AM   #53
NickBuzz
NickBuzz doesn't litterNickBuzz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Don't know if it was mentioned, but I really recommend Reeder for using as a stand alone app that connects to your Google Reader account. It's based on the iPad app. Just great! You can get it from here: http://madeatgloria.com/brewery/silvio/reeder
NickBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:23 AM   #54
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
If your only problem is that your laptop keyboard is too flat, and you want it angled up so the keys face you, why not just get a laptop stand?
Thanks. I cobbled one up in the workshop, which give me a few extra degrees from the horizontal, but I still have problems. The keyboard is too far from the edge of the laptop, and I keep touching either the mouse plate or the button or both.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote