Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-18-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
scgf
Connoisseur
scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Amazon PW 3 iPad Pro, iPhone 12 Pro
Best Device for Direct Sunlight

I have a Sony PRS-505 and was very disappointed in the screen quality while reading in direct sunlight on holiday recently. The black eInk was smearing and fading when the page was turned in sunlight. The problem is completely reproducible and I have read a few threads where is has been discussed on this forum.

Is there an eBook which doesn't suffer from this problem? I am in the UK so the Kindle isn't an option for me. I read here that a Vizplex screen is likely to be better - if so, which devices have this type of screen.

I am able to send the Sony Reader back for refund, so I can use the funds to buy a new device.

Thanks for any advice.
scgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgf View Post
I have a Sony PRS-505 and was very disappointed in the screen quality while reading in direct sunlight on holiday recently. The black eInk was smearing and fading when the page was turned in sunlight. The problem is completely reproducible and I have read a few threads where is has been discussed on this forum.

Is there an eBook which doesn't suffer from this problem? I am in the UK so the Kindle isn't an option for me. I read here that a Vizplex screen is likely to be better - if so, which devices have this type of screen.

I am able to send the Sony Reader back for refund, so I can use the funds to buy a new device.

Thanks for any advice.
All the 6" eink screens made now are Vizplex. That includes your 505. I too have a 505 and I have no trouble with it out in direct sunlight. I suggest you maybe swap your 505 for a new one and see how that goes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
I have the 505 and I read outside but generally sit in the shade, too hot in summer out in the sun. I have checked it out in the sun, and I don't have that problem, I just bought mine a few weeks ago from sony, were the early versions of 505 not visplex and is there a way to check if he has the older version.
I thought I read that most 505's don't have that problem, and that it is UV issue, Kindle's have that problem but amazon considers it a defect and will replace it.
I will be interested to see if other 505 owners have this problem, also, the older version 500 does that model have that UV problem?
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Just FYI, the issue is not the sunlight, but the temperature of the screen. It does not operate well above a certain temperature.

I've had no problems reading in sunlight, but I live in a cool climate.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I have the 505 and don't have a problem in direct sunlight. I do find that it gets a bit hot to the touch after a while in high heat.

I usually read in filtered sunlight on high temp days.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 02:39 PM   #6
scgf
Connoisseur
scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Amazon PW 3 iPad Pro, iPhone 12 Pro
In my case I don't think it has anything to do with temperature - at least not here in the UK! All I need to do is let direct sunlight fall on the screen through a window, turn the page and I see the problem. Move away from the sunlight and the problem disappears on turning the page. The temperature in my house is 21 deg C (69.8 deg F) and I only need hold the screen in sunlight for a second while turning the page.
scgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 02:40 PM   #7
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Sounds like you may have a defective device, then. I've never heard of anyone whose reader acts up immediately when exposed to sunlight.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 02:46 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
All the EInk devices on the market now have Vizplex screens, which are not supposed to have this problem but some (perhaps many) do. This is probably a defect in some batches of Vizplex film. There are multiple threads on this issue for the Kindles, see for example Question for Kindle 1 and 2 owners re: direct sunshine.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:31 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Sounds like you may have a defective device, then. I've never heard of anyone whose reader acts up immediately when exposed to sunlight.
It's been discussed a great deal on the Kindle forums. Eg, here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47658
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:34 PM   #10
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

It looks to be a defective 505.

I have a Cybook and a 505 and they are (both) outstanding for reading in the sun, I will say, more sun, better experience.

I’m this weekend in Algarve (beach vacation place to go in Portugal), and I have just read a complete book on the beach, in the sun, with my Cybook.
BTW: in all afternoon the temperature must have not come down from 28/30 degrees celsius.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote