Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-01-2012, 04:50 AM   #1
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
CLEVNET ebook library designed appears to be optimized for tablets

I've just spent a very frustrating quarter hour so far trying to figure out and move around the newly redesigned CLEVNET library site.

In some ways, it reminds of the internet 10 years ago, when screens were optimized for 800x600 screen resolutions.

All the pictures are larger and they've removed a lot of the text in the main pages - you have to go to each individual book to see most of the details that used to be visible (and I'm speaking about the Holds and Wish List pages in specific).

I have to hope the reason the site is loading so frickin' slow is because it's still being rolled out. Because I swear if it stays as slow, it will probably be crossed off my places to visit daily list! It's utterly horrid.

I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like there's no more "cart" either. You can't build up a list of books to borrow, then "check out". You click "borrow" and you get it now.

I am very disappointed in the changes...I feel they're a definite step back in usability for average computer users. Maybe if I was the least bit interested in getting a tablet, I'd be less critical, but a tablet is just about the last thing on my wish list right now, so I'm just feeling annoyed.

EDIT: Oh, I just tried using the Advanced Search option. You can no longer choose a particular ebook format to search by. I know there are books at this library only epub, or only Kindle/PDF, or all but with some without DRM (open epub). So you won't know until you're on the slow-loading (it's averaging almost 2 minutes per page) page for the book whether it's even something you are able to borrow. I am sooooo frustrated.

Last edited by FizzyWater; 12-01-2012 at 05:10 AM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
glendalekid
Connoisseur
glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505
Looks as if the Brooklyn Library has gone the same way. It wasn't that way this a.m., but sure is now.
http://digitalbooks.brooklynpublicli...rchid=6128874s

Most annoying is that now each book has to be clicked on before you can see if it's available or access a synopsis. It's really awful; isn't it?

Think it might be an Overdrive improvement rather than the individual libraries? I hope not.
glendalekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
This is terrible! I hope other Overdrive libraries don't do the same thing. I like to search for newly-added material, not try to think of what I might want to search for. It's also incredibly slow.

Last edited by dandelioncottage; 12-05-2012 at 09:24 PM.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I use the Advanced Search at search.overdrive.com. That did not change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
I like to search for newly-added material, not try to think of what I might want to search for.
Didn't this always require the Advanced Search? In any event, that's what I use.

The individual library Advanced Search windows now look tuned to a lower resolution/smaller screen, but are functionally the same.

P.S. Actually, there was a change in the individual library advanced search. Now you can limit to eBook, but you can't just limit to Kindle or Adobe EPUB. This has, for me, plusses and minuses.

search.overdrive.com, however, is truly unchanged yet.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 12-05-2012 at 09:43 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
At each library (I have a lot of library cards!), I just click on all eBooks (slightly different on different sites) and then sort by Date Added to Site. Then I see the list of new books. That's been the fastest and most enjoyable way for me to browse. The Brooklyn site now seems to force me to choose a genre, and then sort by date added.

I'm sure I'll get used to it ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
I use the Advanced Search at search.overdrive.com. That did not change.

Didn't this always require the Advanced Search? In any event, that's what I use.

The individual library Advanced Search windows now look tuned to a lower resolution/smaller screen, but are functionally the same.

P.S. Actually, there was a change in the individual library advanced search. Now you can limit to eBook, but you can't just limit to Kindle or Adobe EPUB. This has, for me, plusses and minuses.

search.overdrive.com, however, is truly unchanged yet.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Checking for new Overdrive nonfiction, I just came across what has to be one of the most absurd titles of all times:

1066 in an Hour
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:04 AM   #7
Katel
Evangelist
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I can't believe what they've done at the Brooklyn Library. It's so cumbersome now. Haven't they heard if it ain't broke don't fix it?
Katel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:30 AM   #8
FizzyWater
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendalekid View Post
Most annoying is that now each book has to be clicked on before you can see if it's available or access a synopsis. It's really awful; isn't it?
If you look in the upper right-hand corner of each book cover, there's an overly icon of an open book. If it's dark gray, it's available. If it's light gray, it's borrowed.

You can also click the ribbon (bookmark?) to immediately put the book on your wish list.

I still hate it and want the old style back.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:00 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I like the makeover. Looks pretty cool. If my libraries did it, I wouldn't care one way or the other.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:54 AM   #10
FizzyWater

Oh, newly discovered hassle. I like to load up my Wish List, since at any given time, only about 2% of the books are available. I used to search for "Add to Cart" to find the ones that were available that day.

Now, it's a graphic, not words - no way to search for available titles only (or to filter them to display together). And...it's only showing about 20 books at a time. The older books are still there, but there's no frickin' way to LOOK at the list.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #11
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
At each library (I have a lot of library cards!), I just click on all eBooks (slightly different on different sites) and then sort by Date Added to Site. Then I see the list of new books. That's been the fastest and most enjoyable way for me to browse. The Brooklyn site now seems to force me to choose a genre, and then sort by date added.

I'm sure I'll get used to it ...
The libraries that I have cards for never showed the "date added" in the correct order, so I always used to click all then search for publication date instead. I wish the new design still showed patrons on waiting list, number of copies owned, available formats and the dates. I also hope that the new design won't remain so slow, though it may, since it uses larger pictures.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #12
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Oh, newly discovered hassle. I like to load up my Wish List, since at any given time, only about 2% of the books are available. I used to search for "Add to Cart" to find the ones that were available that day.

Now, it's a graphic, not words - no way to search for available titles only (or to filter them to display together). And...it's only showing about 20 books at a time. The older books are still there, but there's no frickin' way to LOOK at the list.
Once you select a category, you can select all titles, or available now.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #13
xendula
eBookworm

One more thing that sucks is that it now no long displays the entire title, at least not on the iPad. The stupid flag is in the way.