Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
Rosiewlf
Tennessee, USA
Rosiewlf began at the beginning.

Device: 902Pro
902 storage, recognition, bluetooth issues.

I'm having some problems getting my new 902 pro set up I've not seen addressed in any posts, faqs etc. First, I'm on a Macbook Pro (17" A1229 running Leopard) using Calibre. This is my first ebook reader but I've been using Calibre for a while.

I took the 902 out of its box Xmas morning and put it on to charge for 24 hours before doing anything. Then I turned it on, set up the wi-fi and updated the firmware. First issue, and one that continues is it seems to be a bit of a crapshoot getting my Mac to see the 902. Once I did get it recognized, I went in and made a full backup on my external HD. So far, so good. I then removed all of the foreign language books from the 902 and transferred the English ones over to my Calibre library so I could manage them there. Then I proceeded to move my books over to the 902.

At this point, I run into my second problem. I don't have a miniSD yet, so I'm working with the 902's internal storage capacity which is supposed to be 2 Gig. Indeed, it is storing about a thousand books before I remove all the non-English ones. But now, it only shows one gig of space on the entire drive and will not accept the same number of books (same file sizes approx.) I removed back. Where is the other Gig? What happened to it?

Not sure if it's relevant, but Calibre's library file name was "books" and replaced the previous "English" that held titles on the drive.

In an attempt to find the missing Gig, after getting everything pretty well set up, I reformatted the internal memory then restored the files from my backup. Again, removed the non-English language files. That's where I am as of now.

All I want is to get the thing to a stable place so I can use it. I'm hopeful many of the performance problems (flickering, sluggish behavior, etc) will resolve once this happens.

Right now my issues are:

Device does not seem to be visible to Macbook Pro in any sort of easily resolved fashion. Much rebooting and USB plugging and unplugging has to happen and once it is recognized, it will not unmount.

An entire Gig of storage is missing (per Get Info and Disk Utility).

I also have been unsuccessful configuring Bluetooth--though I do have it recognized and set up as a Bluetooth device. It just won't work.

Can anyone help me? And is this typical of Pocketbook e-readers? I'm testing this for my boyfriend who will get a 903 if this is a workable system. We liked it because we thought it was a good reader for math and other academic papers. So far, it's not looking so good.
Rosiewlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Hi Rosie,
I think there may be an issue with the Mac (see here), though over there it is with Lion. Unmounting was also a problem before, solved apparently jsut by pulling the cable out (see here)

As for the "missing" space, there is one GB that is used by the device adn that we cannot see: but you can access it if you use one of the apps developed on this forum, see the sticky on the Pro models, there are links there. I do not know why is it that you cannot put the books back, perhaps they were in the non-accessible part of the memory? But I am no techie, so perhaps this makes no sense.

As for sluggish behaviuor: the current firmware now indexes the library contitnuously, so it could also be that taking books out and putting them back is slowing it down (but you can change this setting in the configuration menu).

As for the bluetooth, do you want to use it for file transfer, or are you trying to connect headphones and/or a keyboard?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:05 AM   #3
Rosiewlf
Tennessee, USA
Rosiewlf began at the beginning.

Device: 902Pro
Thanks for the prompt reply. Is it the firmware that is the problem with Mac's? I'm about to upgrade to Snow Leopard, so perhaps that will help--I haven't seen any complaints about SL. Yes, Lion isn't supported by enough programs I use to merit seriously thinking about going there. This doesn't surprise me. Removing the cable would be good if not for the freezing problem.

Thanks for the information on the missing Gig.

For the Bluetooth, I'm just thinking about file transfer at this point. Maybe something else down the line, but if I could use it to get around the recognition problem, I would.
Rosiewlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:52 AM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
what firmware are you on? I haven't tried the bluetooth transfer with the latest version (I confess I gave up on that with the previous firmware, as it was too erratic), and cannot give it a go now as I am travelling with the PB360, having left the PB903 at home, but I'll try when I am back. With the previous version, J.C. gave precise instructions, and tehre were some tips from the russian forum. You wil find the three links at the bottom of the top message (under "Connections") in the "User tips..." sticky thread. Hope some of them work!

Another alternative for file transfer is via the web. You can upload your library in Dropbox (well, you need a dropbox account: if you don't have one, you can create one for free with 2GB space, and if you create it by clicking the link in my signature, we both get extra space, 250MB if you have any email accoutn, whihc become 500MB if you have an .edu or other academic email account when signing up with dropbox). You then open your browser in the PB902 and go to the dropbox mobile (just type in the address "https://www.dropbox.com/m/"), which is a lighter version, and download the file you want from your library. In this case you never need to connect the device to your computer.

You can also be a bit more sophisticated by creating a Calibre catalog and opening that one to find the book you want, and then download it on your device. To create the catalogue you need Calibre2OPDS (see here or here).

Hope it works!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
902, bluetooth, recognition, storage