Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #46
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
Until somebody goes to court over it, "generic reader" means whatever Amazon wants to claim it means. Personally, I suspect that would include an ePub reader, but maybe not. Like I said, initially Amazon will define the term-then you can protest their definition by suing them and eventually a court will decide.
My take on what "Generic reader" means is that they don't want people to replace the Kindle reader skin/GUI with their own. Say like installing FBReader and having that as the main reader. I don't think they will have problems or issues with somebody extending file format support.

In short Amazon wants to keep the "Kindle" experience and prevent others from changing it. Unfortunately they seem to be borrowing a lot from the Apple business model.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:50 PM   #47
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
My take on what "Generic reader" means is that they don't want people to replace the Kindle reader skin/GUI with their own. Say like installing FBReader and having that as the main reader. I don't think they will have problems or issues with somebody extending file format support.

In short Amazon wants to keep the "Kindle" experience and prevent others from changing it. Unfortunately they seem to be borrowing a lot from the Apple business model.

=X=
That would be nice. Hope you're right, even if I'm pessimistic about it.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2010, 03:31 PM   #48
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:

=X=
I like the way you're thinking.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:43 PM   #49
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
There was an article I read, which I can't find now, that agrees with you -- particularly about the borrowing from Apple aspect. Basically the article said that Amazon had the opportunity to really provide an open platform for hosting apps, but instead made the mistake of following Apple's business model. Additionally, the article predicted the failure of an Amazon App market because they will need to compete against Apple, who already has a huge lead in this segment of the market. The article went on to say that Amazon should have been offering more than Apple, but was offering even less -- especially when you consider that Amazon makes the App seller pay for distribution costs while Apple does not.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:00 PM   #50
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by asjogren View Post
A conversion tool on the Kindle from ePub DRM and PDF DRM to MobiPocket (AZW) DRM would be legally problematical
^^

And I bet basic stuff like fonts and display changes will be no go...
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2010, 06:24 PM   #51
Sullivan
Connoisseur
Sullivan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:

=X=
That looks like it anyway. It's difficult to create an unproblematic "generic" anything with competition popping up everywhere!
Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:23 PM   #52
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
apparently users will pay for the bandwitdh they use for "active content" over set limits

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/22/k...ndwidth-allow/

"Applications larger than 10MB will not be delivered wirelessly but can be downloaded from the Kindle Store to a computer and transferred to the user's Kindle via USB."

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 01-23-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:52 PM   #53
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Hn, I read that app producers would pay the bandwith costs....
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:26 PM   #54
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

but they will have to pass that on to the purchasers somehow
Old 01-23-2010, 02:22 PM   #55
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Passing on monthly bandwidth costs to users is going to be problematic I think-I have a feeling this will limit the types of apps devs are going to be willing to create for the Kindle - apps not using 3G/Whispernet, so things like RSS/news feeds, weather, etc. would probably not be financially feasible for a small developer.
I'm sure there will lots of puzzle games and the like, though.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:40 PM   #56
Dulin's Books
Wizard

exactly this cripples what could be developed
Old 01-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #57
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post
I doubt that I'd be interested in most apps for the Kindle unless they were ebook related.

Apps I'd like to see would be;
Organizational; ordering, sorting, folders, tags, etc.
Informational; links to book lists, author homepages, etc.
System; ability to modify screen saver content and settings.
Content; ability to view other ebook formats.

That is really about it. Games, web apps, blah blah blah, not interested at all.
My thoughts exactly. Smart folders/tagging (ala the capability of Gmail) for my books, easy screen saver changes, and I'd love to see ePub come to Kindle (though I won't hold my breath on that one).
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote