Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-25-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Permission denied?

I'm using mobi2mobi on a book uploaded here. "Professor Challenger Omnibus.prc"

I've been using it (mobi2mobi) on Amazon and others to change the title/author info.

When trying it on the above book it gives the folowing message. I tried deleting the book and re-downloading it, and get the same message. I am also getting this message on "A Thousand and one Nights" downloaded from here. Any suggestions? Everything has been going so well......'sigh. Oh, and before I started, I updated my mobi script yesterday.....

C:\Users\Donna\Desktop\change>mobi2mobi.exe "Professor Challenger Omnibus.prc" -
-outfile "Professor Challenger Omnibus.prc" --author "Doyle, Sir Conan" --title
"Professor Challenger Omnibus"
Database Name: Professor_Ch-lenger_Omnibus
Version: 0
Type: BOOK
Creator: MOBI
Seed: 316
Resdb:
AppInfoDirty:
ctime: -860331051 - Sun Jan 0 00:00:00 1900
mtime: -860331048 - Sun Jan 0 00:00:00 1900
baktime: -2082844800 - Sun Jan 0 00:00:00 1900
---------------------------------------------------
FIRST IMG Record Id: 309
---------------------------------------------------
Image record index: 309 (254 x 315)
START IMAGE INDEX: 309
COVER IMAGE INDEX: 309
PDHEADER Version: 2
PDHEADER Length: 1255048
PDHEADER NRecords: 307
PDHEADER Recsize: 4096
PDHEADER Unknown: 0
MOBIHEADER ciflg: 1
MOBIHEADER ciptr: 312
MOBIHEADER doctype: MOBI
MOBIHEADER length: 228
MOBIHEADER booktype: 2 - BOOK
MOBIHEADER codep: 1252
MOBIHEADER uniqid: 2174450748
MOBIHEADER ver: 4
MOBIHEADER exthflg: 80
MOBIHEADER language: 2057 - 9 - 2 - ENGLISH - ENGLISH_UK
COVEROFFSET: 2
THUMBOFFSET: 3
EXTH doctype: EXTH
EXTH length: 176
EXTH n_items: 7
EXTH item: 100 - Author - 23 - Conan Doyle, Sir Arthur
EXTH item: 110 - SubjectCode - 9 - FIC001000
EXTH item: 105 - Subject - 18 - Action & Adventure
EXTH item: 300 - 300 - 46 - 0x3000000000000008002000000000000000ecbef4ed1e91e
a1e8409440a6
EXTH item: 201 - CoverOffset - 4 - 0x0002
EXTH item: 203 - hasFakeCover - 4 - 0x0000
EXTH item: 202 - ThumbOffset - 4 - 0x0003
LONGTITLE: Professor Challenger Omnibus
LASTID: 315
-----------------
Setting extended header data: author - Doyle, Sir Conan
EXTH setting data: author - 100 - Doyle, Sir Conan - 0x446f796c652c2053697220436
f6e616e
EXTH replacing data: 100 - Doyle, Sir Conan - 0x446f796c652c2053697220436f6e616e

GETSTRING: Author - Doyle, Sir Conan
SubjectCode - FIC001000
Subject - Action & Adventure
CoverOffset - not printable
hasFakeCover - not printable
ThumbOffset - not printable
Setting new title: Professor Challenger Omnibus
Can't open "Professor Challenger Omnibus.prc": Permission denied

C:\Users\Donna\Desktop\change>
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Sorry. I used the Mobi2mobi gui to change about 100 authors the other night, and every one worked flawlessly. Debra
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Sorry. I used the Mobi2mobi gui to change about 100 authors the other night, and every one worked flawlessly. Debra

I don't use gui. I like the command prompt window.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I ran into some problems with the command prompt version, so I switched. Once you get familiar with the gui, it is faster, I think.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I ran into some problems with the command prompt version, so I switched. Once you get familiar with the gui, it is faster, I think.
You may be right, but up until now, the command line version has been running perfectly. I guess I"m too "old school"......
Advert
Old 01-25-2009, 02:25 PM   #6
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Right-click the file and uncheck "Read only".
If it doesn't work, right-click, "security" tab and see if you have permission to read, write, modify, execute, etc. If some of these is unchecked, use the edit button, add your username, check in everything and then press ok.

(My OS is portuguese, so there might be some variation with the translated words above)
(Also, I'm using Vista for a long time, so there might be some variations to the steps mentioned above )
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:26 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Right-click the file and uncheck "Read only".
If it doesn't work, right-click, "security" tab and see if you have permission to read, write, modify, execute, etc. If some of these is unchecked, use the edit button, add your username, check in everything and then press ok.

(My OS is portuguese, so there might be some variation with the words above)
(Also, I'm using Vista for a long time, so there might be some variations to the steps mentioned above )
running to do as over asks.............I' also a vista user
Old 01-25-2009, 02:26 PM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Try using a different name for the "--outfile".
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:27 PM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
"permission denied" means that the user you are running as cannot open the output file. Maybe you have a file with the same name? Or maybe the disk has become write protected? Or maybe you need to run as administrator?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:29 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

That did it! Thank you, Over! Such a simple solution. Another wrinkle in my brain.......

When babies are born, their brains are smooth. As they grow, and learn, wrinkles appear. I always tease my granddaughter about this.........
Old 01-25-2009, 02:34 PM   #11
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
You're welcome.

I myself had to debate with a file which my computed refused to open, delete, copy, move... A complete mystery until I remembered to check those permissions
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Thank you all for the quick help. Tompe, you had the same idea as Over.

God I love the command line!
Old 01-26-2009, 03:05 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Forgive me for asking, but why are you trying to change the author of the Professor Challenger Omnibus? It is set to "Conan Doyle, Sir Arthur", which is perfectly correct. "Conan Doyle" is a "two part surname", which was very common in Victorian times. It is a common mistake to think that his surname was "Doyle" and "Conan" was a "middle name". It wasn't!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:43 AM   #14
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It is a common mistake to think that his surname was "Doyle" and "Conan" was a "middle name". It wasn't!
According to Wikipedia (yes, I know, always a doubtful source), the origin of the compound surname (or, I interpret, whether it's a compound surname at all) is not clear. At least his father's surname does not seem to have been compound.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:54 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
According to Wikipedia (yes, I know, always a doubtful source), the origin of the compound surname (or, I interpret, whether it's a compound surname at all) is not clear. At least his father's surname does not seem to have been compound.
True, but as the citation [2] in the same article notes, "Conan Doyle" is the surname that he himself used - the brass nameplate outside his house in 1885 read "A. Conan Doyle".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote