Notices

Old 04-23-2008, 11:37 PM   #1
ig88
Gadget Guy
ig88 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad - iPhone - OSX
Content

Man.

I have been waiting to read the latest John Sandford book, Invisible Prey for 11 months now.

$9.99 Amazon paperback, $17.99 Amazon hardcover, $8.99 Amazon Kindle.

And, wait for it...

...$26.96 for MobiPocket...

I hope this changes, but I don't think its going to.

Even the AUDIOBOOK (unabridged) is less, at $25.97
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:37 AM   #2
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
yes, such is a brassiness!
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2008, 07:10 AM   #3
mvoosten
Zealot
mvoosten began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Quick google:

$8.00 at http://us.penguingroup.com/nf/Book/B...514286,00.html (although in PDF )
mvoosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:55 AM   #4
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
It's $8.00 for the eReader version at the same site... maybe ereader2html helps?
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:30 PM   #5
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
Is there any reason why you cannot purchase the $8.00 PDF version and use the Mobipocket windows version to import in Mobipocket format and copy to your reader?
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2008, 10:38 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tselling View Post
Is there any reason why you cannot purchase the $8.00 PDF version and use the Mobipocket windows version to import in Mobipocket format and copy to your reader?
This is an Adobe Secure e-book, not a PDF. On the other hand, as -Thomas- says, the Palm Reader (eReader) version could be format shifted. So could the LIT version, but it is $30.90! There is clearly something screwed up with the pricing, some e-book formats at $8 and the rest at ~$30.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:34 PM   #7
ig88
Gadget Guy
ig88 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad - iPhone - OSX
Thanks for the tips, but you missed the point.

You shouldn't have to jump through all of these hoops.

Why are the MobiPocket versions so much more expensive?

I mean, it is an electronic format. Even audio (I am talking about a packaged CD here, not an audio download) versions were cheaper.

Funny thing is, Amazon owns MobiPocket, and they have the Kindle version for so much less.
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:57 AM   #8
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

I've just seen that the paperback version will be released on April 29th, so the Mobipocket pricess will probably fall as soon as the paperback is available.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:56 AM   #9
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

I agree that different prices for various formats of ebooks seems pretty strange. I don't know how licensing works for ebooks. I wonder if mobipocket might charge a larger fee to publishers for books in their format?

At least the library sites seem to support mobipocket... that helps the pocketbook.

I assume that the iPDF reader cannot read the secure adobe books either?
Old 04-25-2008, 09:05 AM   #10
-Thomas-
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tselling View Post
I assume that the iPDF reader cannot read the secure adobe books either?
No, its not possible. None of the available e-Ink devices can read Adobe ebooks at the moment.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:21 AM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ig88 View Post
Thanks for the tips, but you missed the point.

You shouldn't have to jump through all of these hoops.

Why are the MobiPocket versions so much more expensive?

I mean, it is an electronic format. Even audio (I am talking about a packaged CD here, not an audio download) versions were cheaper.

Funny thing is, Amazon owns MobiPocket, and they have the Kindle version for so much less.
Amazon is a dealer for kindle books but MobiPocket is a publisher of mobipocket format for eBooks and will not charge less than the publishers list price to avoid problems with their dealers. You can almost always get a Mobipocket eBook cheaper from a dealer than directly from MobiPocket.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:16 PM   #12
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Thats the problem with ebooks, with regular books you can always find a used book cheaper but that doesnt exist so you're always paying retail. it just doesnt make sense. There are too many old coots in the publishing industry to tell the difference between different formats and adjust prices accordingly.

I think they think too much in the old economics way of if an ebook costs $4 (which is what it should be because there is hardly any costs besides the author and a server) then everyone will shift from regular books like some sort of pricing disparity but the truth is most people wont because a) some people just love hard cover books and b) reading on a computer is a fast track way to go blind and c) ereaders cost and arm a leg and your first born to buy for most people (especially with the current economy, you can't even buy rice wholesale anymore because of food shortages what is this 1929??). Until someone can come in and strong arm the publishing industry Apple-style, we will be stuck with the $25 4 year old ebook while a used hardcover is sold for $8.
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:41 PM   #13
tselling
Addict

Personally I have been checking out ebooks from some ebook libraries rather than buying ebooks. I have no need to keep an ebook after I have read it so it makes more sense for me. I hope we see more library subscription services. I am willing to pay a yearly fee to a decent ebook library. I have found KnowBetter Lending Library to be OK for $20 per year.