Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which book shall we read for April?
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne 8 19.51%
The American Senator by Anthony Trollope 12 29.27%
A High Wind in Jamaica by Richard Hughes 6 14.63%
The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton 7 17.07%
The Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles 4 9.76%
A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 19 46.34%
Animal Farm by George Orwell 16 39.02%
The Good Soldier Svejk by Jaroslav Hasek 6 14.63%
All Men Are Mortal by Simone de Beauvoir 7 17.07%
The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper 7 17.07%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #46
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Anyone interested in The Last of the Mohicans needs to read Mark Twain's essay, Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offenses. I read it at an impressionable age and it cured me of any desire to read his works.

Since people are revealing their voting strategy, I'll admit that I voted for my preference of the two front-runners and the books I really would like to read!
Oh dear, and I thirded it and voted for it! I didn't know that one of my heroes would disapprove.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #47
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
A Study in Scarlet is now two votes ahead. I hope it wins. Animal Farm is a great book, but Holmes is always so verly much fun to read and discuss.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2013, 08:16 AM   #48
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
A Study in Scarlet it is.

I've heard the story as a full cast audio play (both Norwegian and English versions, I think), but I haven't read it. I don't think I've read any of the original Holmes stories, so I'm looking forward to it.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:28 AM   #49
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're in for a treat—and I'm in for a re-read.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:30 AM   #50
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I feel like the choices this time were really an embarrassment of riches; I was interested in reading almost any of them. Some people said they decided to vote for one of the two in the lead, but I'm the opposite - I decided to not vote for one of the two in the lead. I would've supported both, but seeing them so close, I went with only the one I preferred most.

I've actually never read a Sherlock Holmes before, so this will be a first for me. Where better to start than the beginning?
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2013, 11:12 AM   #51
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I've actually never read a Sherlock Holmes before, so this will be a first for me. Where better to start than the beginning?

So very happy A Study in Scarlet came out on top! I'm looking forward to this.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:14 AM   #52
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post

So very happy A Study in Scarlet came out on top! I'm looking forward to this.
Me too. Haven't read a Sherlock Holmes for a few years, and can't remember when I last read this one. I was probably about 13, when I thought I was Sherlock .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:26 PM   #53
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Me too. Haven't read a Sherlock Holmes for a few years, and can't remember when I last read this one. I was probably about 13, when I thought I was Sherlock .
So did you have your own little deerstalker hat?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:11 PM   #54
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Anyone interested in The Last of the Mohicans needs to read Mark Twain's essay, Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offenses. I read it at an impressionable age and it cured me of any desire to read his works.
Thanks for the link, I will read this essay. On the other hand: instead of dragging us away from Cooper's books this could have been a good starting point for a discussion.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:38 PM   #55
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
So did you have your own little deerstalker hat?
Of course not! I was in disguise .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:55 PM   #56
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Hmmm... wonder if there are more MB Book Club members that use the same South Carolina library I use... A few days ago I was 3:rd in line for the one copy they have of"Animal Farm". Today all of a sudden I got an email I could check it out.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:48 PM   #57
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Hmmm... wonder if there are more MB Book Club members that use the same South Carolina library I use... A few days ago I was 3:rd in line for the one copy they have of"Animal Farm". Today all of a sudden I got an email I could check it out.
Well it wasn't me. I have the perfect alibi. I'm way up in Southern Wisconsin.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #58
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:

I've never read Cooper and always felt about it. But now that I have read Twain's essay, I don't think I'll be in a hurry to do so. This passage left me gobsmacked!

'In the Deerslayer story he lets Deerslayer talk the showiest kind of book-talk sometimes, and at other times the basest of base dialects. For instance, when some one asks him if he has a sweetheart, and if so, where she abides, this is his majestic answer:

"'She's in the forest-hanging from the boughs of the trees, in
a soft rain—in the dew on the open grass—the clouds that
float about in the blue heavens—the birds that sing in the
woods—the sweet springs where I slake my thirst—and in all
the other glorious gifts that come from God's Providence!'

And he preceded that, a little before, with this:

"'It consarns me as all things that touches a fri'nd consarns a
fri'nd.'" '

Last edited by fantasyfan; 04-01-2013 at 02:44 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #59
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post

I've never read Cooper and always felt about it. But now that I have read Twain's essay, I don't think I'll be in a hurry to do so. This passage left me gobsmacked!

'In the Deerslayer story he lets Deerslayer talk the showiest kind of book-talk sometimes, and at other times the basest of base dialects. For instance, when some one asks him if he has a sweetheart, and if so, where she abides, this is his majestic answer:

"'She's in the forest-hanging from the boughs of the trees, in
a soft rain—in the dew on the open grass—the clouds that
float about in the blue heavens—the birds that sing in the
woods—the sweet springs where I slake my thirst—and in all
the other glorious gifts that come from God's Providence!'

And he preceded that, a little before, with this:

"'It consarns me as all things that touches a fri'nd consarns a
fri'nd.'" '

Maybe Cooper was writing about someone who suffered from multiple personality disorder. Did Twain ever think of that?
Old 04-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #60
gal_amy
Connoisseur
gal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: iPad 9.7, iPad 10.5, Kindle HDX, iPhone6, iPhone7, Oasis2
Ok, I see the book voted on. Now where do we go to join the club?
gal_amy is offline   Reply With Quote