Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-12-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
gari189
Connoisseur
gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Elonex 621eb, PRS-T1, HP Touchpad
Lights for the T1

Been thinking of getting a light for my T1 and saw a good deal (Waterstones UK £13) on the Lightwedge Verso Arc light.
http://www.lightwedge.com/Welcome/Verso-Arc-Light
Having searched the forum, I couldn't really find anything about lights for the T1 and no mention of the arc fitting the T1.

Just wanted to confirm the arc light fits the T1 really well. If anyone is thinking of buying one of the lights and wants to see what it looks like on the T1 let me know and I'll post some pics
gari189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
Sega
Enthusiast
Sega began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T1
Ouch 40 bucks!!!
Sega is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For that price, you can just about get a Sony T1 light cover or the Gecko Luxe Light cover for the T1.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
gari189
Connoisseur
gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sega View Post
Ouch 40 bucks!!!
I wouldn't pay that much but for £13 (about $20) its a very good light.......
Old 12-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you already have a cover for your T1? If not, get a light cover.
Advert
Old 12-12-2011, 05:34 PM   #6
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Wouldn't like it if, as it appears, there's no tilt feature for the light arm......

A cover does a better job alround, anyway, despite the cost - and it might save your screen.....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #7
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gari189 View Post
Just wanted to confirm the arc light fits the T1 really well. If anyone is thinking of buying one of the lights and wants to see what it looks like on the T1 let me know and I'll post some pics
Can you post some pictures when you get a chance?

I didn't like the lighted cover, adds to much bulk/weight for me since the majority of the time I do not need a light.

The standard Sony case is great and I'm trying to figure out if this one would actually work well with it for the times when I need it.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #8
kyall
kyall began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I bought the Verso light today:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...60a6b9737den02

It was earlier on for $12.99 CDN, which I thought was reasonable. Not thrilled with the little watch batteries I'll require for replacement (inevitably) but it works just fine with the Sony Reader T1.
kyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #9
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
The Arc Light doesn't need to be angled or tilted. It perfectly lights the reader surface. I've used it on my 350, Kindle 3 & the T1. I don't like the clip on ones because you inevitably get glare. Someone designed the Arc to light the surface perfectly and not get any glare.

Sure it's pricey but it's perfect. I got mine at Borders with a coupon & then another when they were pitching stuff out the door with the bankruptcy.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:58 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Wouldn't like it if, as it appears, there's no tilt feature for the light arm......

A cover does a better job alround, anyway, despite the cost - and it might save your screen.....
I don't like the idea of clipping the light directly on the bezel of the reader. If the clip is too tight, it could crack the plastic.

I have the light cover for the 650 and the bendy arm works very well to position it how you want.

I don't use the light as much as I did before because I bought a clip on light for the headboard that I can use for reading. It's one of those personal lights that's not supposed to bother the other person.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:57 AM   #11
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
The Arc Light doesn't need to be angled or tilted. It perfectly lights the reader surface. I've used it on my 350, Kindle 3 & the T1. I don't like the clip on ones because you inevitably get glare. Someone designed the Arc to light the surface perfectly and not get any glare.

Sure it's pricey but it's perfect. I got mine at Borders with a coupon & then another when they were pitching stuff out the door with the bankruptcy.
Do you have the standard case for your T1? Just wondering if the Arc will fit over the case when I need it, or if I would have it take it out the case.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
Do you have the standard case for your T1? Just wondering if the Arc will fit over the case when I need it, or if I would have it take it out the case.
If the arc won't clip onto the case (without scratching), then forget it.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:53 PM   #13
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
No I don't have the Sony cases. I don't like them & they're too expensive. The Arc light is not meant to go on any case. It clips right on the reader itself. It has two protective rubber pieces to prevent any scratching of the device. It helps protect both the front & the back of the reader where the light clips to it.

I have the Ex-point leather envelope cases which I prefer. I don't care for reading with the device inside a case. I have no fears (yet!) of dropping the reader while reading. I hold it loose in my hands but I don't read while walking or standing & reading on cement surfaces etc. I read while sitting in a chair or lying in bed or in my car in the passenger seat.

If you don't want to take the reader out of a case then the Arc light isn't for you. You need a clip on but then you have to deal with batteries, glare, hotspots etc. Like I said before, whoever came up with this thing angled it perfectly to avoid such things.

I recommend the Mighty Bright Travel Flex as a clip on light to use with a case. It's cheap, comes in different colors, uses AAA battery and clips on well to the case. It does not clip on to the reader itself well at all. The neck is short enough on the Travel Flex to work well over the other ones they have. I found their Xtra Flex ones to have really long necks that flop around too much. I see on their website that they have a new one called Mini Flex that might work. It has the clip of the Xtra Flex with a neck about the size of the Travel Flex if that's of any help.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #14
gari189
Connoisseur

Photos added

Photos below - it was partly shopaholic's glowing review of the arc light that persuaded me to get one - glad it fitted!!

Last edited by gari189; 12-13-2011 at 06:04 PM. Reason: ?
Old 12-13-2011, 06:32 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I think the arc light is a waste of money. It forces you to have to use the T1 without a case. That's not good at all. I will not do that. I do not want to risk the T1 without a case. No way. That's just a very very bad design.