Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-18-2014, 04:42 PM   #1
Motomaggot
I'll always be a newb
Motomaggot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite & Touch
Missing formats

Something weird is happening when I copy books to my main library. I will have two libraries that check out just fine no missing formats or anything and when I copy one library into the other, I get all kinds of errors with missing formats when I check the library quality.

Could I have a setting wrong that is causing this?

Regards,

Matthew
Motomaggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:27 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Motomaggot - some of the Preferences for Add Books settings relate to Copy to Library - a couple of them specifically so.

Have a look and see if anything there 'makes sense' apropos this problem, otherwise post a screen shot of it here.

That said - I'm not sure if any of them would cause this sort of problem

FWIW : I do what you're doing quite often, never had this problem - but... SFW

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-19-2014 at 02:35 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:34 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomaggot View Post
Something weird is happening when I copy books to my main library. I will have two libraries that check out just fine no missing formats or anything and when I copy one library into the other, I get all kinds of errors with missing formats when I check the library quality.
Exactly how do you "copy one library into the other?"
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:43 AM   #4
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
(What DoctorOhh said...)

Calibre has no function to copy a library into another, only to copy books from one library to another. Possibly deleting the original copy afterwards.

Exactly what is it you do, and how do you do it? Are all libraries and books on local filesystems, without any networking or cloud software involved that can update the contents of the libraries?

Are you actually copying books, using the calibre GUI, from the current library to another? That is something I often do, without any problems. Or are you doing something else?

If we can confirm the problem by doing exactly what you do, then any problem with calibre can most likely be fixed quickly. If it really is a problem with calibre then this is very urgent, before others have similar problems.

Last edited by Adoby; 02-19-2014 at 03:51 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:33 PM   #5
Motomaggot
I'll always be a newb
Motomaggot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite & Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
(What DoctorOhh said...)

Calibre has no function to copy a library into another, only to copy books from one library to another. Possibly deleting the original copy afterwards.

Exactly what is it you do, and how do you do it? Are all libraries and books on local filesystems, without any networking or cloud software involved that can update the contents of the libraries?

Are you actually copying books, using the calibre GUI, from the current library to another? That is something I often do, without any problems. Or are you doing something else?

If we can confirm the problem by doing exactly what you do, then any problem with calibre can most likely be fixed quickly. If it really is a problem with calibre then this is very urgent, before others have similar problems.
I'm moving books from one library to another library in that I'm using the Calibre GUI to copy then delete the books. I could not resolve the issue so I deleted Calibre, both libraries, and I'm starting from scratch now.
Motomaggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:31 PM   #6
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
I have just done a lot of copying back and forth between libraries, and I experienced no problems.

Perhaps you should run some diagnostics on the computer and on your filesystems? But if there is any problem you should have noticed it in other ways. I don't know what the problem is. Try to see if you can repeat it if it happens again. Then it can be investigated better.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:33 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If your problem is repeatable then running calibre in debug mode will get you more helpful output, but this problem is almost certainly related to having your calibre library on some kind of non-native filesystem, like a network disk or an external disk running a filesystem that is not well supported by the OS.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote