Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-22-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
"Access denied" when connected to computer. Virus.

What happened is that I somehow picked up a virus on my Kindle 2 that AVG detected. I moved it into the Virus Vault. It's a "Trojan Horse Generic 18.BSLT" - something about "motion open.exc." (I believe all this happened when I was demo-ing some software. I have promptly deleted it.)

My Kindle 2 works fine, in that I can read from it. However, when I plug it into my computer, I get the "access denied" message. I can still finagle my way into "Documents" by going to "Autoplay" and then clicking on "Open Folder to View Files." This is from Microsoft Explorer, by the way.

I did a reset with the power switch, to no avail.

I'm running 2.5.3 on an International Kindle 2.

I'm wondering what would happen if I installed 2.5.3 on top of 2.5.3?

Any other suggestions?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
aleccj1
Techie
aleccj1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (3G + WiFi), Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
What happened is that I somehow picked up a virus on my Kindle 2 that AVG detected. I moved it into the Virus Vault. It's a "Trojan Horse Generic 18.BSLT" - something about "motion open.exc."

My Kindle 2 works fine, in that I can read from it. However, when I plug it into my computer, I get the "access denied" message. I can still finagle my way into "Documents" by going to "Autoplay" and then clicking on "Open Folder to View Files." This is from Microsoft Explorer, by the way.

Any other suggestions?

Don
Hmm... Could the problem be with your antivirus? I've had AVG (free) before, and have always gotten false positives. You should use MSE or Avira (both free).
aleccj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When I plug my Kindle into my computer and click on the icon for Kindle, I get this:

"F:\ Access is denied"

Any ideas, anyone?

Don
Old 08-22-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Clean it up from a *nix based LiveCD/USB Stick. (AFAIK, there's a bunch of them made for this, with an antivirus bundled (ClamAV, probably)).

Assuming you can burn a CD/Tweak an USB stick without the world coming to an end from your OS POV .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-22-2010 at 08:28 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Clean it up from a *nix based LiveCD/USB Stick. (AFAIK, there's a bunch of them made for this, with an antivirus bundled (ClamAV, probably)).

Assuming you can burn a CD/Tweak an USB stick without the world coming to an end from your OS POV .
My sense of the issue is that there is some missing file on the Kindle. However, even when I restore that infected file back to the Kindle (from the AVG's Virus Vault, I can't open the Kindle.

It seems to me that the best way would be to install Kindle's current software version into my Kindle, assuming of course that I can load 2.5.3 on top of 2.5.3.

I've already copied my Documents folder (in other words, all my books) from my Kindle onto my laptop.

Don
Old 08-22-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It sounds more like the virus is still stored somewhere on the Kindle, and as soon as Windows tries to access it, it does its nasty stuff again.

Nothing wrong with the Kindle itself, except acting as a 'host' for the virus. (The Kindle itself should be completely safe from Windows viruses, because it doesn't run Windows. And nothing you can access from the USB Mass Storage partition can have any impact on the Kindle's OS beyond resetting some UI settings and removing your books).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-22-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:59 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Try disabling AVG. Maybe AVG is getting in the way due to the virus.

Also, try plugging your Kindle into another Windows box and see if it works.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:05 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I'd advise *against* potentially spreading the virus to another Windows box .

That's why I talked about a *nix LiveCD. Plugging it on a Mac & removing the offending infected files should also do the trick.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:38 AM   #9
darthjoey
Enthusiast
darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2 - International
You could try a "Reset to Factory Default" on your Kindle. Wipes everything except the firmware.
darthjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:18 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthjoey View Post
You could try a "Reset to Factory Default" on your Kindle. Wipes everything except the firmware.
The cover needs to be taken off for that procedure, doesn't it? (Can't remember.)

That might be the way to go. Then, I could simply update to the current version (2.5.3), and copy/paste my Documents folder back onto the Kindle. DOES THIS SOUND LIKE A GOOD IDEA, FELLOW MEMBERS?

Right now, I'm going to run an AVG check on my computer this morning to make certain that it's clean.

Don
Old 08-23-2010, 06:24 AM   #11
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Reset to Factory Defaults is in the Settings Menu on the Kindle 2 - you don't need to poke about inside.

Be careful if you have hacks installed as it will appear to remove them but won't really. Though that is probably the least of your problems right now.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:24 AM   #12
oorwullie
oorwullie doesn't litteroorwullie doesn't litteroorwullie doesn't litter

Device: acer all in one,acer a500 nexus7 palm tungsten kindlekb
Quote:
What happened is that I somehow picked up a virus on my Kindle 2 that AVG detected. I moved it into the Virus Vault. It's a "Trojan Horse Generic 18.BSLT" - something about "motion open.exc." (I believe all this happened when I was demo-ing some software. I have promptly deleted it.)

Any other suggestions?

Don
just after i got my first pc it developed a software fault and the company that supplied it said to install windows again without reformating which i did and the fault was fixed,i do not know if the kindle would be the same....hope this helps
oorwullie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:36 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

I should mention that my other kindle - a Kindle 2 U.S. - loads up fine when I connect it to my computer. I'm presented with the Folders document, etc.

That would lead me to think that the problem is with my Kindle 2 Int. edition.

Does that assumption seem reasonable?

Don
Old 08-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I should mention that my other kindle - a Kindle 2 U.S. - loads up fine when I connect it to my computer. I'm presented with the Folders document, etc.

That would lead me to think that the problem is with my Kindle 2 Int. edition.

Does that assumption seem reasonable?

Don
Yes it does. I'd go with the "Reset to Defaults" suggestion myself, and reload your books. A pain, I know, but at least you'll be sure of getting rid of whatever the problem was.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:06 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yes, the reset to factory defaults should do the trick. It's a little overkill, but it should help .