Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-18-2010, 07:03 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
What are your five-star books?

The other thread about Calibre ratings had me curious about other people's 5-star books. Most people seem to be using a rating where 5 stars is the highest and they reserve it for their very favourite books. So, which books have you read that you rated 5 stars? Here are some of mine:

INDIE BOOKS (free or DRM-free)

Agent to the Stars by John Scalzi
Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka
The Mouse in the Mountain by Norbert Davis
Nineteen Eighty Four by George Orwell
Overclocked by Cory Doctorow
Redchapel by Mike Resnick
Radium Halos by Shelley Stout
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

COMMERCIAL BOOKS (from major publishers and usually DRMd)

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay
The House Next Door by Anne Rivers Siddons
Naked in Death by JD Robb
NurtureShock by Po Bronson and Ashley Merriman (non-fiction)
Just After Sunset by Stephen King
Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin
The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards
The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:29 AM   #2
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I Am Legend by Richard Matheson
Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
most of John Steinbeck
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
most of P. G. Wodehouse
any Calvin and Hobbes collection by Bill Watterson

There are more, but those are some representative five-starrers.

I don't give many five-star reviews because, if I do, how many stars would I give the above?
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2010, 07:37 AM   #3
sceadugenga
Connoisseur
sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The Stand by Stephen King
Cannery Row by John Steinbeck
Bernard Cornwell's Warlord trilogy
Watership Down by Richard Adams
From Here To Eternity by James Jones.
sceadugenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:46 AM   #4
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
LOTR Tolkien

From there narrowing the list down gets hard.
I think I'd rather go with my next 4 fav authors.

David Drake
Mercedes Lackey
Anne MaCaffrey
Andre Norton
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:12 AM   #5
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Lonesome Dove, by Larry McMurtry
PrairyErth, by William Least Heat-Moon
Possession, by A.S. Byatt
Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson
Watership Down, by Richard Adams (thanks for reminding me, Sceadugenga!)
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2010, 08:27 AM   #6
hgwlackey
Zealot
hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle Touch, HTC Thunderbolt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
I loved Dark Places. I just finished Sharp Objects the other night...and now I'm sad that I'm out of Gillian Flynn to read!

These are my 5-stars for this year so far:

Horns by Joe Hill
Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist
The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters
House of Tomorrow by Peter Bognanni
Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
Post Office by Charles Bukowski
Nothing Man by Jim Thompson

And some long-time 5-star books:

The Temple of Gold by William Goldman
A Son of the Circus by John Irving
As I lay Dying by William Faulkner
Streets of Laredo, Dead Man's Walk & Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
Rant & Diary by Chuck Palahniuk
Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
The Phantom by Susan Kay
hgwlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:33 AM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I liked Dark Places much better than Sharp Objects.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:38 AM   #8
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I have only come across one series by an Indie author that is either free or DRM-free that I have rated 5 stars: Shayne Parkinson's Promises to Keep quartet, which begins with the free Sentence of Marriage. I reviewed the books here and here.

For fiction to rate a 5-star review from me, it must be so compelling that I can't put it down, causing me to continue reading long into the nigt (early morning hours), plus it must compel me to write a review recommending it (something I do not do often), plus it must still make me think about it months after having read it. I think 5-star books are few and far between. There are a lot of 4.5- to 4.9-star books, but a book needs that something extra special to warrant the label of perfection.

On the commercial side of the equation, the closest to 5 stars but not quite there have been recent David Weber books and the Imager Portfolio series by LE Modesitt, Jr. I'd give Weber's recent books a 4.5 rating and the Modesitt series a 4.7 rating. They were good reads that kept me burning the midnight oil and are worthy of recommendation (but not the time to do a full-blown review), but they are now forgotten in the sense that I no longer think about them or their stories.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:56 AM   #9
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I check my Librarything list, and I have only one: Belle du Seigneur, by Albert Cohen - I can't find the English title

I should probably add a few though. I agree about John Steinbeck, especially East of Eden. The Alexandria Quartet by Lawrence Durrell.

Can't think about anything else at the moment...
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:15 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I never rate my books, still haven't found a good management product for books.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:26 AM   #11
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
And Then There Were None - Agatha Christie
It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life - Lance Armstrong
Congo - Michael Crichton
Dragons of Autumn Twilight - Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman
The Outsiders - S.E. Hinton
That Was Then, This Is Now - S.E. Hinton

I'm sure there are more, but I am at work and drawing a blank without looking at my bookshelves. I guess you could say these are 6 of my very favorite books ever.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #12
sceadugenga
Connoisseur
sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
Lonesome Dove, by Larry McMurtry
PrairyErth, by William Least Heat-Moon
Possession, by A.S. Byatt
Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson
Watership Down, by Richard Adams (thanks for reminding me, Sceadugenga!)
I bags "Lonesome Dove" as well, and McMurtry's Thalia/Duane Moore series.

Last edited by sceadugenga; 08-18-2010 at 09:55 AM.
sceadugenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #13
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
I really like these threads. If I can find a book or two that I really liked in someone else's list, I can be pretty confident that I will like it too.

Here are mine; I may edit this post later as more occur to me:
  • Sherlock Holmes (all of them), by Arthur Conan Doyle
  • The Lord of the Rings, by: J.R.R. Tolkien
  • The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • The Bachman Books, by Stephen King
  • The Count of Monte Christo, by Alexandre Dumas
  • A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens
  • short stories, by Edgar Allen Poe
  • The Vampire Chronicles, by Anne Rice
  • Dracula, by Bram Stoker
  • Don Quixote, by Miguel Cervantes

I'm sure Tolkien will be a popular one. For those of you who liked LoTR and The Hobbit, look into his short stories. I bought one book, I can't recall the exact title, but it had 'green' in it, and I remember really liking it. I couldn't get through The Silmarillion though.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:15 AM   #14
Patricia Ryan
Connoisseur
Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle, iPad
NON-FICTION:

Essence and Alchemy/Mandy Aftel
Gotham/Burroughs
Blown Sideways Through Life/Claudia Shear

FICTION:

Small Town/Lawrence Block
Gone Tomorrow & Without Fail/Lee Child
Black Light & Dirty White Boys/Stephen Hunter
Heartsick, Sweetheart & Evil at Heart/Chelsea Cain
Promise Me & The Woods/Harlan Coben
The Lincoln Lawyer/Michael Connelly
In the Woods and The Likeness/Tana French
The Neighbor/Lisa Gardner
Harvest/Tess Gerritsen
A Free Man of Color & Fever Season/Barbara Hambly
The Wrong Mother/Sophie Hannah
True Evil/Greg Isles
Shutter Island, Mystic River & Darkness Take My Hand/Dennis Lehane
Devil in a Blue Dress/Walter Mosley
Rose/Martin Cruz Smith
Atonement/Ian McEwan
This is Where I Leave You & How to Talk to a Widower/Jonathan Tropper
Presumed Innocent & Innocent/Scott Turow
The Darkroom & The Sculptress/Minette Walters
Patricia Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:16 AM   #15
Patricia Ryan
Connoisseur
Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle, iPad
Oh! And Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth! 1,000 pages of please-don't-end!
Patricia Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote