Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-18-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
steveboyett
steveboyett began at the beginning.

Device: none
0.7.9 Won't Add Books

I just upgraded to v0.7.9 and and "add books" button ... doesn't. Where before I would click it and navigate to a directory and open an html file for conversion, I now get no response by clicking the button.

Clicking the arrow to the right of the button gives me several options, none of which will let me open an HTML file, and all of which scan directories and open files I don't want opened.

I also miss an option for text under the menu buttons.

I went to the download page to try to find v0.7.8 to revert to it. No "previous versions" link, though there was one when the program itself indicated the upgrade. Worried that I will lose all my customizations & format code if I downgrade.

So my question is: am I doing something wrong when it comes to opening a file, and if not, how can I downgrade and preserve my customizations?

Thanks in advance!
steveboyett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
Bluebaize
Enthusiast
Bluebaize doesn't litterBluebaize doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveboyett View Post
I just upgraded to v0.7.9 [...]
So my question is: am I doing something wrong when it comes to opening a file [...]
I don't think you are doing anything wrong as I have just upgraded myself and the add books button isn't working for me either.

Infact, I have a problem with the book viewer not opening, adding books and long delays in most activities. While Calibre has never been the quickest of things, it certainly seems a lot slower lately.
Bluebaize is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can downgrade, you wont lose anything.

And if you want to help debug the problem as I can't reproduce it, run calibre from a command prompt as

calibre-debug -g

and post any output you see.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
steveboyett

I just uninstalled 0.7.9. The uninstall took longer than any removal I have ever experienced. Very odd.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebaize View Post
...I have a problem with the book viewer not opening, adding books and long delays in most activities...
I am able to add books and to view them in the viewer. I downloaded and installed the update- then closed calibre.

It was only after seeing this thread did I test whether I had an issue. Try closing calibre; then restart it to see whether the issue remains.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2010, 03:00 PM   #6
steveboyett

Did that. It remained. Having no problem with the reversion to 0.7.8.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think that this happens because you had calibre running when doing the upgrade. Do the following. Upgrade, reboot your computer. Then start calibre, and hopefully you wont see the problem.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:34 AM   #8
Bluebaize
Enthusiast
Bluebaize doesn't litterBluebaize doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can downgrade, you wont lose anything.

And if you want to help debug the problem as I can't reproduce it, run calibre from a command prompt as

calibre-debug -g

and post any output you see.
I always close any program before updating/installing or removing so I don't think that has anything to do with the problems I was having.

I have tried the debug option but the only thing I saw in the window was that it started in 3.5999999 seconds.

I re-run the installer and chose the repair option, don't know if it done anything but it is a little better now.

The viewer and all other features seems to work ok except for...

The add books will not add by clicking on the main icon or selecting add from single directory. The same outcome for both is that nothing happens. However, choosing one of the other options to add books from directories works ok.
Bluebaize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:28 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Add books chose a random(?) title

I saw this thread, so I just had to check Add Books out

When I clicked the Add Books icon, the standard XP file chooser opened up.
What was unusual, was there was a title already filled into the filename , The title was one that I have, BUT does not exist in the folder that the file browser opened in
Set weird flag:true
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:17 AM   #10
EvilWayz
EvilWayz began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
i'm experiencing this plus three other odd problems:

1. the zoom isn't working on certain pdfs.
2. when i convert a pdf to epub, i end up with a one page book with the cover image and that's all.
3. metadata editing isn't permanent.

not sure if this is calibre, my prs or a combo of both.
EvilWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There appears to be some sort of incompatibility between Qt 4.6.3 and some windows installs, I'm investigating, in the meantime just downgrade to 0.7.8

Can the people that have the non functioning add books let me know what version of windows they are using and whether it is 32bit or 64bit
Old 07-19-2010, 12:40 PM   #12
EvilWayz
EvilWayz began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
im using mint 9.
EvilWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

This bug is apparently related to:

http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-10724

I'll release a beta with a workaround soon.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:22 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Try this build:

http://calibre-ebook.com/downloads/b...ibre-0.7.9.msi

Uninstall your current calibre install and then install this.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:09 AM   #15
steveboyett

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Can the people that have the non functioning add books let me know what version of windows they are using and whether it is 32bit or 64bit
Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Since I've only just started working with Calibre a few days ago I'm actually reluctant to upgrade again to 0.7.9 until I know the bugs have been worked out. One learning curve at a time is enough.