Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-30-2010, 09:00 AM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Treason by Don Brown

A quick read legal (Navy JAG) thriller. Not exactly up to Grisham or Clancy standards but genuinely entertaining. Radical Islamic terrorists hatch a plan to infiltrate the US Navy using clerics as chaplains to recruit and radicalize muslim sailors. The book was published in 2005 a few years after 911 but before some of the other incidents that make the scenario all the more plausible.

The book has all the elements of a good legal thriller....interesting bright and competitive characters. There's love interests and politics and the like. I'd give the book a solid 'B'.

HOWEVER -- the book is "Christian fiction". Just like regular fiction only with more overtly Christian characters who pray and try to grow closer to God. I didn't know this before reading the book and only kind of wondered about it until I got to the end and saw that it was published by Zondervan....publishers of the very bible I read (the NIV) among others. Ok....so this is truly an overtly Christian book. No problem, just know that going in.

BUUUUT -- now you gotta cringe with the Muslim villians and the money grubbing jewish lawyer they hired to defend them. A Jew willing to do defend anyone for money. Ouch! It's not that these are unbelievable characters....there's just no balancing Jewish or Muslim characters in the book. Gotta give Don Brown a D- for that. It's MUCH WORSE for a Christian book, IMHO, to be so poor in handling the Jewish and Muslim faith.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:59 PM   #2
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I love good military related novels
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2010, 11:17 PM   #3
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerio6414 View Post
It's still available as a kindle freebie

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:00 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerio6414 View Post
This is not one.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote