Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-17-2008, 12:41 PM   #1
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Just because Desertgrandma asked ...

This is what I'm doing in my free time. You can kind of see in one photo how the floor is all dull on the left side, and then the right side is the portion that I've refinished.

Also attached are two photos of the small bookcases in the greatroom. The first one is with three years of cat damage ... it's been cleaned every few weeks, but the cat spray really damages the finish such that just cleaning isn't very effective after a while. The other photo is of the one I refinished.

I've got about 5,500 sq feet of stained and scored concrete to seal (it looks like stone tile, but it's just concrete), and a hell of a lot of furniture to make look good. So, if I turn up missing from time to time, please forgive me, I'm just knee deep in dried cat pee.

Oh, and in case anyone wonders, the plastic box mounted to the wall next to the damaged bookcase is an outlet protector that I created. All the ones that were commercially available were (1) expensive and (2) wouldn't work to keep the cats from spraying into the outlets. The problem was that the electrical wiring would become corroded (one R or two??) and then I'd have to replace the whole outlet. After a couple of electrical fires, I decided to remedy the problem myself. The box lid opens to allow access to the outlet, and then there is a cord pass through that I cut at the bottom so that I can leave things plugged in but still have protection for the outlet.

And, yes, for the men in the audience who are not into refinishing furniture .... I know the finished bookcase looks a little beat up ... but that's the look I'm going for. It's called "distressed."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0017x.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	14441   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0015x.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	14442   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0016x.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	14443  
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I never knew concrete floors could look so good. And you did this yourself? I love the color. Do you ever have any knee problems walking onthem all day? Of course, I supposed you wear good shoes. I'm barefoot most of the time. Who needs shoes in Arizona? Clever idea with the outlet......Necessity is indeed the mother of invention......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
You're a better woman than I. I love kitties dearly, but dealing with that much spraying would send me right out of what's left of my little mind.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:02 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
You're a better woman than I. I love kitties dearly, but dealing with that much spraying would send me right out of what's left of my little mind.
oh me too. i hated the litter box so much i trained mine to go in the (human) toilets. beurk. there are some things i'm not willing to deal with. life is too short.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Beautiful floors!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2008, 01:10 PM   #6
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Yeah, really gorgeous floors!!! And I like the panda-izing of your armadillo avatar!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:17 PM   #7
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
And, yes, for the men in the audience who are not into refinishing furniture .... I know the finished bookcase looks a little beat up ... but that's the look I'm going for. It's called "distressed."
If that is the look you want I have an attic full of it you can have compliments of the rug rats.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:17 PM   #8
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I never knew concrete floors could look so good. And you did this yourself? I love the color. Do you ever have any knee problems walking onthem all day? Of course, I supposed you wear good shoes. I'm barefoot most of the time. Who needs shoes in Arizona? Clever idea with the outlet......Necessity is indeed the mother of invention......
They were already stained when I bought the house, all I'm doing is sealing them (to put a shine on them). You can wax them, but most companies recommend that you wax once a year, which costs about $1000 to do.

The sealant will last longer, and I bought enough to treat the floors for several years for about $400.

I wear Crocs. Pretty much all the time. Going barefoot in this house can be dangerous. I've killed as many as four scorpions in the house in a single day. However, my Crocs are very comfy!!

I already have knee problems stemming from being shot in my left knee when I was about 10. Now it's one of those "weather forecasting" knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Out of my 20 cats, it's only about four (all males) who spray. Even cats neutered as kittens may choose to spray. I don't know why it is ... it just is.

I've got 12 "Clever Cat" litterboxes in various spots around the house. All the cats (except Morgan) use them. However, spraying is not peeing .... it's not even the same substance. It's VERY pungent and oily feeling, although it is just as corrosive as pee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
oh me too. i hated the litter box so much i trained mine to go in the (human) toilets. beurk. there are some things i'm not willing to deal with. life is too short.
As mentioned, even if I taught them all to use the toilet, the problem of spraying would still be there. A few of my cats might be amenable to training, but some (like Brian, who is severely brain damaged), would probably not be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Beautiful floors!
Thanks. The concrete floors were what sold me on the place. I love that it's almost impossible to damage them.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:39 PM   #9
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
If that is the look you want I have an attic full of it you can have compliments of the rug rats.

JJ
Oh thanks .... I've got four house-fulls of it. Sigh.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:13 PM   #10
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Very nice floors, Ricky.

I know a cure for your cats' spraying, but neither you nor several others here would like it.

I like Crocs too but they are expensive. We have a chain of stores here called "Tractor Supply" that sell a knockoff called Rics - $14.99 a pair. Not quite as good as Crocs but less than half the price. Corcs (or Rics) or something like that would be almost mandatory with that floor. Be sure to check inside your crocs before putting your feet in if you have scorpions - not very nice critters. I'm more like desertgrandma though, I prefer to be barefoot as much as possible. Comes from growing up in rural Mississippi.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #11
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Very nice floors, Ricky.

I know a cure for your cats' spraying, but neither you nor several others here would like it.

I like Crocs too but they are expensive. We have a chain of stores here called "Tractor Supply" that sell a knockoff called Rics - $14.99 a pair. Not quite as good as Crocs but less than half the price. Corcs (or Rics) or something like that would be almost mandatory with that floor. Be sure to check inside your crocs before putting your feet in if you have scorpions - not very nice critters. I'm more like desertgrandma though, I prefer to be barefoot as much as possible. Comes from growing up in rural Mississippi.
We've got a Tractor Supply store just over in Marble Falls. I go there all the time. However, I really (really) love my Crocs. I find that even with really hard wear, a pair will last me a year.

It's not just the scorpions (and yes .... I do check inside of my shoes before putting them on), but also the mesquite thorns and other nasties that are out in the hills and woods around the house. Mesquite thorns grow to about 2 inches, are VERY hard and VERY sharp ... you do NOT want to step on one barefoot. Really ... you just don't.

Then, there are the fire ants. Another thing you really don't want to run across barefoot. They sting like crazy and if you are allergic you can pretty much just kiss the world goodbye once they start swarming you. Makes me shudder just to think of it.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:22 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
scorpions.... mesquite thorns... fire ants.... my golly i'm glad i don't live in texas !! i don't know how y'all survive from day to day.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:29 PM   #13
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
scorpions.... mesquite thorns... fire ants.... my golly i'm glad i don't live in texas !! i don't know how y'all survive from day to day.
Those are nothing compared to the rattlesnakes, coral snakes, and mountain lions (yes, we actually have mountain lions out here).

And, the short answer is ... you just get used to it. The lions are more likely to attack in the winter (when the deer are not so plentiful), so you learn not to walk around outside after dark. The rattlesnakes are worse in the evening, the coral snakes are worse during the day ... but, again, you learn to keep your eyes where you are stepping, and not to just go traipsing out into the tall brush.

It's probably no worse for the dangerous wildlife than much of the rest of the world. We're out in the country ... and that's what you get in the country.

BUT ... on the bright side, the dangerous wildlife tend to thin out the noisy children. So, that's a plus ... right??
Old 07-17-2008, 04:32 PM   #14
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Probably not as dangerous as the streets of Paris during rush hour.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:36 PM   #15
slayda
Retired & reading more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
We've got a Tractor Supply store just over in Marble Falls. I go there all the time. However, I really (really) love my Crocs. I find that even with really hard wear, a pair will last me a year.
My first pair of Rics have lasted about two years so far. I wear them for all my yard work. No Mesquite thorns though.

You didn't mention coyotes. Is that because they are relative benign in comparison to all else?

Tags
clouds of enlightenment, duck!