Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
JCSullivan
Chief Inspector Gamache
JCSullivan began at the beginning.

Device: Viewsonic
Question Transfer of ePubs and Speed of Kobo

I'm really having a difficult time here. I don't have a Kobo but my neighbour does. She has several epubs she wants transferred onto the Kobo but I can't seem to find the correct directory/folder on the Kobo.

It seems every time I press on a book it either doesn't find it or, it tries to open it, gives me the Square Smiley Face with 4 dots but returns to the Home page.

I don't want to use Calibre (best piece of software amongst very few) for that purpose and I do not want to install any Kobo software on my PC.

Any help please?

PART II

The Kobo touch seems to be really slow - is there a limit to the number of books you can have? I don't have the reader with me right now but was wondering, can you read epubs located on a SD card.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
JCSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You can place the books in any directory you want on the Kobo.

What firmware level is the Kobo at?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
JCSullivan
Chief Inspector Gamache

Thanks Peter.

Don't know the version of the firmware, will have to find out.
But, placing in any folder doesn't seem to work. Purchased books do work however.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
With KT reader on reading a book push chrome button to get to home screen from there get into settings menu if it has a gear in upper left corner touch that to get into settings. Device Information has software version. From settings page select Account. Top line of settings page has Signed in As: Below this should be owners email address. If it has just been been updated to 2.0 software you have to SIGN OUT then SIGN IN reentering the email address before KT will work right.

You don't have to use SD card if there is available memory on KT. I put all my side loaded books (not from Kobo) onto external micro SD card. Books there survive factory reset and most anything. SD card with lots of books uses more power and a little slower and now with 2.0 firmware it is noticeably slower. Problems with 2.0 are well documented on 2.0 thread at this forum, worst first day problems are fixed. I use SD Association formatter with full over write on SD card before use in Kobo.

When you first load new books you will see spinning icon in upper left corner of home screen with 2.0 firmware. Until that stops spinning indicating book is in data base you will have problems trying to read those books.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Is it possible the ePubs are DRM-ed? You would need Adobe Digital Editions to authorize the reader if it is not already. ADE copies the ePubs to a directory called "Digital Editions" but I imagine you could copy them without using ADE if it's authorized (never tried this).
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
JCSullivan
Chief Inspector Gamache

Peter the firmware is V2.0

I've put the books in the root and all seems to be working.
I must look for the 2.0 thread mentioned in this thread.

Thanks ALL for your help.

Side note: Although I didn't like the original KOBO (simply because of the pdf problem) I think it was a better reader.But then, that could be just me - it was a long time ago.